2017 WIAA High School Football State Championships

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Prep Sports Board' started by Mark87, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Mark87

Mark87 Carpe Diem Admin

Ratings:
    +1,311 / 0
    Games are set :

Thursday, Nov. 16

Div. 7: Bangor (13-0) vs. Black Hawk (13-0) - 10 a.m.
    Div. 6: Iola-Scandinavia (11-2) vs. St. Mary's Springs (13-0) - 1 p.m.
    Div. 5: Amherst (12-1) vs. Lake Country Lutheran (13-0) - 4 p.m.
    Div. 4: Saint Croix Central (12-1) vs. Lodi (13-0) - 7 p.m.

Friday, Nov. 17
    Div. 3: Rice Lake (10-2) vs. New Berlin Eisenhower (13-0) - 10 a.m.
    Div. 2: Waunakee (13-0) vs. Brookfield Central (13-0) - 1 p.m.
    Div. 1: Kimberly (13-0) vs. Sun Prairie (13-0) - 4 p.m.

2. Crease Creature

Crease Creature Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 2
    Lodi was in the other half of our conference starting my second year of high school. They make some big boys in the home of Susie the Duck.

I hope this is a good matchup and that SP doesn't just get rolled. They're the next town over

3. TW

TW Moderator

Ratings:
    +900 / 12
    Years ago, a HS football coach from Belvedere, IL, took a teaching position at Rice Lake High School, and assumed the role of head football coach. Since I knew of him, and how he handled his teams in Belvedere, and always had ranked teams, I felt he'd be a great coach for the Warriors. In fact, I told my Brother he would lead them to state championships.

Now, years later, even after he retired, the hierarchy of developing football players from a very young age goes on, and even when they do lose a game at times, they are still challenging for a trip to state. I see they're back there this year, challenging for the Division 3 crown. I hope they win.

Even though my Brother was skeptical, he didn't say anything. He saw the changes, and eventually his Grandson playing for Rice Lake and making all conference honors. Then he saw him go on to DIII college, and not make the team his freshman year, but ended up continuing his work outs from HS, and gaining size, not only making the team, but as a starting lineman. He also ended up winning all conference honors in the Wisconsin state conference, and these teams are not slouches. They are solid, and one of them is often competing for a national D3 title.

It's amazing how one person's dedication to the game can turn a whole town around in a sport. Having a winning attitude is contagious. We should all feel that, and project that, in everything we do.

4. Nutbush

Nutbush Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 0
    LaVern Pottinger TW. He is a couple years older than me but are friends as we both played football in Sparta and our coach was Mike Farley who ended up coaching in River Falls. Coach Farley was a big influence on Vern. One super nice guy and yes a great coach. Small world.

5. TW

TW Moderator

Ratings:
    +900 / 12
    Vern was a talented coach. About all he liked, outside of coaching was fishing on Long Lake. I believe he bought a house up there, not far from Larry the Cable Guy's place. Great lake for fishing. About 5 miles away from where my boyhood home is.

6. Nutbush

Nutbush Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 0
    I believe one of his son's is a coach some place now. I think he had 6 or seven kids.

7. TW

TW Moderator

Ratings:
    +900 / 12
    I believe that would be Brian Pottinger. He led his HS team in Reedsburg to a state championship. He turned a horrible program that had lost 33 games in a row around in 5 years, to win the state. He learned well from his father.