Another reason to hope things might be better next season.....

Good post. It is what we've been saying. It was more a matter of not utilizing players properly than any lack of talent.

Let's hope Pettine can find value in so many guys we still have, and could be productive.

Why is Josh Jones playing deep when he was supposed to be a dime linebacker? Why aren’t the Packers playing press man when they have three big, physical corners who excel in man coverage?

First of all, he's NOT a friggin dime LB. He's a safety...putting him at "dime LB was another craptastic move. Square peg round hole.

" three big, physical corners who excel in man coverage? " Guy who wrote that is crazy as hell. They blew a ton of man coverages. They play lazy technique in man.. their hips never square and they jam as good as a jelly doughnut. Hell, they can't even play off-man coverage well.bh( nuts((

Final note about the author from his personal bio/webpage >>> "Peter is first and foremost a storyteller " Yes he is :D

I think the author makes a ton of assumptions regarding Mike Pettine that are just that assumptions. Anytime you put in a new defense your going to have growing pains. I expect a better overall statistical finish but be forwarned early in the season you're going to see a few SNAFU'S as they get accustomed to new coverages and packages. Let's see what the draft provides and OTA's before we get to upset or too excited. sb(tc(

First of all, he's NOT a friggin dime LB. He's a safety...putting him at "dime LB was another craptastic move. Square peg round hole.

" three big, physical corners who excel in man coverage? " Guy who wrote that is crazy as hell. They blew a ton of man coverages. They play lazy technique in man.. their hips never square and they jam as good as a jelly doughnut. Hell, they can't even play off-man coverage well.bh( nuts((

Final note about the author from his personal bio/webpage >>> "Peter is first and foremost a storyteller " Yes he is :D

Okay! So Mark! Tell us how you really feel about the switch from Capers to Pettine. You can take the gloves off! rofl(

The middle of year two. That's when we know what we've got from our drafts, and from our existing roster. Until then, we're in for a roller coaster ride.

okay, so you disagree with the quote. but do you completely disagree with the premise that dom capers was not using players in ways that capitalized on their strengths? clearly several players that we got rid of have gone on to perform well for other teams. i think the evidence is there to support the premise.

okay, so you disagree with the quote. but do you completely disagree with the premise that dom capers was not using players in ways that capitalized on their strengths? clearly several players that we got rid of have gone on to perform well for other teams. i think the evidence is there to support the premise.

Yes... No and Maybe. I am no Capers fan but we have no idea in regards to the dysfunction behind closed doors with MM/TT/Capers. Examples to consider:

MM was abandoning the run and going to his pass ...pass hurry-up spread O. (Part of that is AR) that put our D on the field more often for more snaps. A Tired defense makes a ton of mistakes

TT drafting strategy? Was it based on feedback from Capers or MM ? How did they go about acquiring personal for the defensive side of the ball... Was it Capers saying I want Player A for this slot or TT/MM on draft day saying that guy looks good we can transform him into a pass rusher? ( Note I always saw MM/TT in the draft room. Rarely saw a coordinator in there)

Here's my point, if you get a bad meal it's really easy to blame the cook. But if someone bought the wrong ingredients and he didn't have the correct pans or tools etc is it all his fault?

Make no mistakes I would have fired DC 3 years ago. I am not a fan schematically or physiologically of his defense. But I think to be fair you need to look at the whole picture.

I also think a lot of fans believe that Pettine or anyone else can just install a new look and boom it's fixed. Not fair to Pettine to do that. I believe RP is correct it's a 2-year fix on defense and that's if all the pieces fall in place.

There are so many issues - like Mark said - that contribute to failures like we had. It would be nice if we could put it all in one neatly defined cause, but chances are, all of what was stated probably contributed to the defensive failure.

But, I do believe that some of our defenders actually have the talent to succeed with the new concepts that Pettine will put in place. It's just going to take time to figure out who should be kept, and who shouldn't be on the roster. Then, it's filling holes from FA and the draft. Patience.

Back