Big Ten’s College Football Playoff picture gets clearer in Week 2

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The College Football Playoff picture is getting clearer for the Big Ten…or is it? Week 2 of the CFB Playoff rankings came out on Tuesday night and there were six B1G teams in the mix. Our Andy Coppens comes at you with reaction to how the Big Ten teams were ranked and the paths forward for said teams. Can Wisconsin control its own destiny? Is the Big Ten East division really out of the...

Source

Continue reading...

Well, I think the path is clear(ish) for Wisconsin - win out and hope a few others lose. I just don't see a way for the Big-10 to get a team into the mix other than Wisconsin, unless some weird things play out among those first 8 teams. There are just too many teams for OSU or PSU to pass to get there without a bunch of unexpected losses.

One of Georgia or Alabama will lose for sure, but if they win out in the regular season and play a close game in the SEC championship game then it's still quite possible that both get in.

Notre Dame is everyone's darling and has played a tough schedule. They get in if they win out, but they still have a couple of tough games coming. Lose one big and they are probably gone. Lose close to Miami and they might still be in the hunt, especially if Miami wins the ACC.

Clemson goes if they win out. Miami goes if they win out. The ACC will take care of itself unless, again, one of them loses an unexpected game or Miami loses big to Notre Dame. If Miami loses a close game to Notre Dame and beats Clemson I think they go.

TCU or Oklahoma could get in if one of the above falters, but they might both be done if they split their likely 2 more meetings.

I think Wisconsin gets in if they win out, but only if multiple teams of those above lose an unexpected game. The path is even harder for OSU and PSU. The Big-10 could get shut out, especially if Wisconsin loses in the championship game.

Lose close to Miami and they might still be in the hunt, especially if Miami wins the ACC

My numbers suggest that a 2-loss ND team doesn't make it, even if those losses are to the SEC and ACC champs.

I think this love for southeastern US football by voters is a joke. It reminds me of how the old Soviet bloc voted in the Olympics, in gymnastics, skating, boxing, etc. They insured they'd get the lions share of the medals by always giving communist nation athletes the best scores, regardless of how good they were.

They make light of Wisconsin's lighter schedule this year, and talk about how "tough" some of these others with one or two losses were. Last year, no matter who Wisconsin played, they downplayed the tough schedule saying that these tough teams were just having a bad game, or not as good as their rankings.

Either make this thing honestly competitive, or throw the darned thing out. It's not a love fest for the southeast.

Back