Browns Release Karlos Dansby

I didn't watch enough Browns games to say if he's a upgrade or not. Maybe he's an upgrade over Barrington and Palmer, maybe not. I don't know if he's a locker room problem. If he is, obviously you pass.

For me it's about what deal you can make and do the powers that be think he has something left. If he's willing to do essentially a 1yr deal to play with a potential SB contender, I'm not seeing the problem. You still draft one, preferably high. Maybe he's nothing more than a depth guy by the end of the year if a rookie and Ryan are playing better which is OK with me. Again, I'd rather be covered a little better before the draft than hope things fall right in a draft that is not particularly deep at the ILB position.

As for him being a guy Cleveland gave up on, sure it makes you think, but it sounds like they are blowing things up in Cleveland, and nobody has accused their front office of being very smart. Maybe this is just another in a series of bad moves for them.

FWIW.....Linebacker Karlos Dansby, whom the Browns released Wednesday, would like to join the Cardinals, Bengals or Packers, writes Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

Telling of what. Bad locker room guy? Not good enough? He had more tackles last year than any Packer player. He had more forced fumbles last year than AJ Hawk had in his career. He had 3 INTs last year more than all our ILBs last year combined and as many as anyone on the team. Not saying he'd duplicate that but it sounds pretty good on paper.
This board keeps talking about quality depth. To me that means veteran backups. Especially at positions of need. Bring Dansby in, kick the tires, see what $$ he's talking about. He might be the kind of guy who could help Ryan AND the young ILB we should be drafting anyway! I'm guessing that at 34 and getting cut from Cleveland, he might be pretty close to minimum. It just seems like this is the situation you grab if you think you're close to competing for the SB.

FWIW.....Linebacker Karlos Dansby, whom the Browns released Wednesday, would like to join the Cardinals, Bengals or Packers, writes Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.
Yes he released a tweet saying he wants a shot at a ring so he wants a contender. I think he's going to stay in Ohio and go to teh Bengals as they are a LB needy team also.

When I saw that he was released yesterday, I thought he might be the sort of guy that TT would sign. Higher-profile name, a little long in the tooth, wouldn't affect compensatory picks but still has a fair bit left in the tank.

If we could sign him for around $3-5 million, he could be a solution for our long-running issues at ILB.

That would give us some more flexibility during the draft.

When I saw that he was released yesterday, I thought he might be the sort of guy that TT would sign. Higher-profile name, a little long in the tooth, wouldn't affect compensatory picks but still has a fair bit left in the tank.

If we could sign him for around $3-5 million, he could be a solution for our long-running issues at ILB.

That would give us some more flexibility during the draft.
He's a 35 year old linebacker in November. That's one issue. The other is $3- $5 million. We have $8.5 left after rookie pool then considering carryover it's not enough.

He's a 35 year old linebacker in November. That's one issue. The other is $3- $5 million. We have $8.5 left after rookie pool then considering carryover it's not enough.

Yeah, 3-5 million is too steep. I was thinking Vet minimum if he wants to play for a contender for a shot at a ring.

I read somewhere a day or two ago that they figured that we probably had about $5 million to spend after the recent signings and allowing for carryover and rookies.

I haven't seen him play, but he sounds like he is still good in coverage and above average overall. Sounds like just what we need for 1 or 2 years.

Dansby will have several teams looking at him. In other words, there will be a bidding war!

He is a street free agent and doesn't count towards the compensatory draft pick, so my guess is TT does make a call and gives a dollar amount. But in likelihood another team tops it and TT bows out! The only way I see Packers having a chance is if Dansby is serious about playing for a SB contender. But then there's the Bengals and Cardinals who may be interested as well.

<10% chance is all I give it.

Back