California’s Breakup With the NFL

Cheesedog

Reaction score
California’s Breakup With the NFL

The Chargers aren’t alone in facing questions about their fan support. All four of California’s teams are struggling with identity crises.
While the Chargers struggle in the L.A. suburb of Carson, where they are domiciled until a permanent home is completed in 2020, the Los Angeles Rams, in their second season backin Southern California, have seen home attendance fall by more than 20,000 per game since last season.
In the Bay Area, the San Francisco 49ers offer fans the chance to wait in traffic, sit in uncomfortably hot seats and watch one of the worst teams around. The state’s most promising team on the field, the Oakland Raiders, is leaving soon after more than a half century in California for a glamorous new home in Las Vegas.
“It doesn’t exactly seem like the Golden State for the NFL right now,” said Andy Dolich, a former executive with teams such as the 49ers and Oakland A’s.

Los Angeles doesn't deserve a football team. The fact that they have 2 is beyond comprehension. They have a strong history of not being able to support a team so why anyone thought it would be different this time around is puzzling.

There are far better markets for the NFL like St. Louis for example. Greedy owners get what they deserve in this one. I hope the Rams continue to be unable to fill the seats. Serves them right for moving to LA.

In the end, the Rams and Chargers will find "poster boy" figures who will play well with the Tinseltown people, and it will all come out fine. That new stadium is going to be a "go to place" for the wealthy and well known, to hob nob with each other, and spend what they call "quality time," letting people take pictures of them from afar.

A friend of mine who went to the California Angels, within their first couple of years, put it best. As soon as they had guys who could hit the high spots with a good looking starlet on their arm, and looked good on the front page of the newspaper, the crowds started showing up. When they also started to win, it was even better. Then it was pictures with Gene Autry, and Walt Disney, and they became a household name. It was quite the same with the Dodgers.

LA will take a while, but they will warm up to both teams, and when they get their "poster boys," they'll do even better.

Rams might be OK but the Chargers are toast. My friend who lives in LA says they are considered "San Diego's " team and most people around LA don't care for them hitching a ride in LA.

I agree with Eye, a better market could be served. St Louis fans jumped off the bandwagon the last 2 yrs the rams were there... not sure they get another shot.

Rams might be OK but the Chargers are toast. My friend who lives in LA says they are considered "San Diego's " team and most people around LA don't care for them hitching a ride in LA.

I agree with Eye, a better market could be served. St Louis fans jumped off the bandwagon the last 2 yrs the rams were there... not sure they get another shot.

depends on the team... aren't many fanbases who stick with a team when they suck anymore...

Back