CC's Week 11 CFB Standings

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you like exciting football, this was the week for you. If you like stellar action between top teams, this was the week for you. If you take it upon yourself to work a weekly poll, this is just another week for you!

We have to wait til tomorrow evening to see what the playoff committee thinks, but the AP must be bitter at not mattering anymore, because their lineup is stupid.

What's not stupid is the good readers here, who can see though most BS, mine included. You can check out last week's poll here if you want.

1. Alabama (9-0; 6-0 SEC) - How did LSU get ranked again? I mean, I guess they beat Auburn a few weeks ago, but Auburn is facing a Georgia team this weekend (and then doesn't get any credit for scheduling Louisiana-Monroe the week after). I've said before, Alabama could go into the SEC title game without a win over a ranked team. Up next: @MS State (last: 1)
  2. Georgia (9-0; 6-0 SEC) - An identical week to Alabama, a 24-10 win at home. Whereas the Tide took down LSU, the 'Dogs downed South Carolina. Georgia also clinched the SEC East. If Georgia's only loss ends up being to Alabama, I'm not sure you can keep them out. 'Bama, on the other hand, I could argue dropping, but they'll get the benefit of the doubt. Up next: @ Auburn (last: 2)
  3. Wisconsin (9-0; 6-0 B1G) - slow starts, I'm fine with that. The defense is top notch and has done a good job helping keep things in check until the offense can get going. You just gotta accept that Hornibrook is going to give it away to the other team at least once. Indiana lost composure at some key moments, both on the field and on the sideline. They're not quite there yet. Up next: vs Iowa (last: 4)
  4. Miami (8-0; 6-0 ACC) - I don't know about you guys, but I am impressed with Miami's win over VT, the defense was just absolutely suffocating. Miami clinches the ACC Coastal if Virginia loses at Louisville Saturday. A huge showdown looms that has playoff implications. Winner is likely in. Up next: vs Notre Dame (last: 8)
  5. Notre Dame (8-1) - the Irish get jumped because where Miami put the clamps on Virginia Tech, ND gave up 37 points to Wake Forest. Still, ND may have the most impressive resume at season's end. I see a very plausible scenario where ND, 'Bama, and Georgia make the playoff. Up next: @ Miami (last: 6)
  6. TCU (8-1; 5-1 BigXII) - and just like that, the BigXII is down to two. And those two have to play each other this week (and may play each other again). Winner has the inside on the conference and the loser could end up behind the winner of the OSU-ISU game. I like TCU's chances as they actually play defense. Up next: @ OU (last: 7)
  7. Clemson (8-1; 6-1 ACC) - NC State had something going for them early on, but Clemson had enough of that and put a loss in the Wolfpack's conference record. Now I don't see Clemson losing another game before the end of the regular season, but any loss at this point would be disastrous for them. Especially with The Citadel on their schedule. Up next: vs FSU (last: 9)
  8. Washington (8-1; 5-1 Pac-12) - since their loss to Arizona State, the Huskies have been putting up a ton of points, and held Oregon to a field goal. What should be the meat of Washington's schedule is ahead of them. Up next: @ Stanford (last: 10)
  9. Oklahoma (8-1; 5-1 BigXII) - well, that was painful. If you're gonna give up 52, scoring 62 is what you need to do. What bothered me more is that Oklahoma State's defense has been moderate all season long, and just allowed Baker Mayfield to set the BigXII single game passing record (598 yards, fyi). More to come in the Cowboys entry. Up next: vs TCU (last: 12)
  10. Penn State (7-2; 4-2 B1G) - I'm not one to bash a team for losing on a last second field goal (from distance) after a 3 hour weather delay. They misuse their running back, and he's not a great pure RB to begin with. The defense is still good, but this'll knock em out of the playoff hunt for sure. Up next: vs Rutgers (last: 5)
  11. USC (8-2; 6-1 Pac-12) - I think their win over Arizona clinched the Pac-12 South for them. At the very least it gives them a 1.5 game lead with 2 games left on their schedule. Given that they gotta go to Colorado and then end with UCLA, they just gotta focus on one week at a time and get to the title game. Up next: @ Colorado (last: 14)
  12. Auburn (7-2; 5-1 SEC) - I personally don't get the love fest with Auburn. They're mostly moving up for me because there've been a bunch of losers in front of them. They've had a lot of offensive production against bad teams, and have lost to LSU and Clemson. They'll be on CBS at 2:30 CST hosting Georgia on Saturday. I will have to pay closer attention. Up next: vs Georgia (last: 17)
  13. Ohio State (7-2; 5-1 B1G) - Oh how I hate (oh how I hate!) Oh how I hate (oh how I hate!) Oh how I hate Ohio State. Oh what the #$@* is a Buckeye? Your mascot is a nut! My goodness what an outcome. If you somehow missed this one, you lost out on one of the all-time biggest beatdowns in Ohio St history. Hopefully the Hawkeyes got it all out of their system. This next game could decide the East champion. Up next: vs MSU (last: 3)
  14. Michigan State (7-2; 5-1 B1G) - Credit Dantonio, that guy finds ways to win, even if it means invoking a 3.5 hour weather delay. Penn State just didn't seem as juiced after that. Don't get too excited about having won on a last second FG, at home. You get to be ranked to set up a fun showdown at the Horseshoe in a few days. Think of it as my apology for being mean last week. Up next: OSU (last: NR)
  15. Oklahoma State (7-2; 4-2 BigXII) - I don't know what it is. Gundy is the winningest coach in school history, the program is more prominent than it's ever been, and yet, Coach Gundy is 2-11 in Bedlam games (Les Miles went 2-2), and the 'rivalry' falls to 88-18-4 in OU's favor. That's not a rivalry, that's a "why have you guys been keeping score so long" kind of set up. It was like watching the Packers' defense, guys were wide open. Although, Mayfield was hitting the dirt all day long, but it just didn't seem to bother him. How could you possible have given up 62 points? You're in a bind now, because you lose the tiebreaker against both of the teams in front of you. Up next: ISU (last: 11)
  16. Virginia Tech (7-2; 3-2 ACC) - You no longer have a shot at winning your conference, which would usually merit you falling out of this here poll, but I like you more than I like any of the extra teams from the Pac-12 (and I'm looking at you, Wazzou, who do you have naked pictures of?). You have a nice brand of football. Now here comes the Rambling Wreck. Up next: @ GT (last: 13)
  17. UCF (8-0; 5-0 AAC) - ok, ok. You can come in. Will you guys be able to beat South Florida and Memphis in back to back weeks coming up? Up next: vs UConn (last: NR)
  18. Mississippi State (7-2; 3-2 SEC) - I did say that my bubble teams were UCF and whatever team was in third place in the SEC, and that happened to be Miss State. Yay. Up next: vs Alabama (last: NR)
Newcomers: UCF, MS State
Welcome Back: Michigan State
Dropped out: Iowa State (that was shorter than expected), NC State (A nice run! This team should be poised for next season), Stanford (make up your minds!)

I'm not doing the bottom this week, because both teams that are down there are just pitiful. But, I did have a prediction come true! I said multiple times that Baylor and Kansas would meet on November 4th to decide which team picks up its first victory (and it was Baylor! 38-9). Just as a reminder, Baylor should have had its program suspended for at least this season. And the BigXII should have kicked Kansas football a long time ago.

Once again, excellent analysis, and observations. It's tough disagreeing with your rankings. Some might argue that you have too many Big 10 teams in that mix, but let's face it. How many losses do the four have, outside of conference? Beating up on each other is historically what Big 10 teams do. Ask Ohio State about what happened against Iowa. Ouch!

I wish they used the same philosophy when it comes to voting on who makes the playoffs.

Yes, I'll admit I'm probably a little biased for the Big Ten, at least as far as conference depth goes. I truly believe that only two teams from the Pac-12 deserve to be ranked, and I don't know if anyone else believes this, but the SEC as a whole is down this year. Bama and Georgia are clearly the top of the class, but after that?

I'm just not sure.

Back