Draft Thoughts: Part Two Mixed Bag

Terranimal

Reaction score
Started noticing the thread was getting a bit long so divided it into two parts.

Awhile ago went back over all my draft notes from 90's on and found some interesting generals when it comes to putting your draft picks into your favor for success.

1.) Players that come from families that grew up with one of their parent's serving in the Military.

2.) Coaches Kids. There is something about kids that have a family that was a coach. Especially at QB like Favre, Luck, Burrows.

3.) Second and third Generation players. Sometimes they are as good, sometimes are even better and other times they flunk out of the NFL. Haven't done the actual math on this to give a perfect percentage or odds for results.

Players have some kind of lineage have more times then not have gone on to have successful careers. CM 3 was 3rd gen, Surtain is second gen and so on.

Extra: When going back over drafts and recent drafts in particular, hindsight is always 20/20. The Captain Obvious answer of course is drafting isn't an exact science. And while hit on some, we miss on some also for various reasons.

So there are 5 players that before getting drafted has discussions with others that said no way or had doubts on. Outside of physical talent I believed in these players cuz of the "IT" factor or intangibles if you will.

We drafted one of these players. Not that our cap situation would be any different, but how much better would out team talent be if we had drafted 3 more of these players?

The players: QB Josh Allen, LB TJ Watt, 3rd Rd pick Cooper Kupp, RB Johnathan Taylor instead of paying RB Jones.

Oh the player we did draft was Alexander. Had many discussions after we drafted him and yes took notes, people were upset, while had him as my number one Corner. Of course didn't know he would become a Shut Down Corner, but thought he could be very good. Also his combine numbers were very similar to another former Shut Down Corner Sam Shields.

Of course have one that wanted and we took but has yet to be the player thought/hoped he would in Safety Savage.

Started noticing the thread was getting a bit long so divided it into two parts.

Awhile ago went back over all my draft notes from 90's on and found some interesting generals when it comes to putting your draft picks into your favor for success.

1.) Players that come from families that grew up with one of their parent's serving in the Military.

2.) Coaches Kids. There is something about kids that have a family that was a coach. Especially at QB like Favre, Luck, Burrows.

3.) Second and third Generation players. Sometimes they are as good, sometimes are even better and other times they flunk out of the NFL. Haven't done the actual math on this to give a perfect percentage or odds for results.

Players have some kind of lineage have more times then not have gone on to have successful careers. CM 3 was 3rd gen, Surtain is second gen and so on.

Extra: When going back over drafts and recent drafts in particular, hindsight is always 20/20. The Captain Obvious answer of course is drafting isn't an exact science. And while hit on some, we miss on some also for various reasons.

So there are 5 players that before getting drafted has discussions with others that said no way or had doubts on. Outside of physical talent I believed in these players cuz of the "IT" factor or intangibles if you will.

We drafted one of these players. Not that our cap situation would be any different, but how much better would out team talent be if we had drafted 3 more of these players?

The players: QB Josh Allen, LB TJ Watt, 3rd Rd pick Cooper Kupp, RB Johnathan Taylor instead of paying RB Jones.

Oh the player we did draft was Alexander. Had many discussions after we drafted him and yes took notes, people were upset, while had him as my number one Corner. Of course didn't know he would become a Shut Down Corner, but thought he could be very good. Also his combine numbers were very similar to another former Shut Down Corner Sam Shields.

Of course have one that wanted and we took but has yet to be the player thought/hoped he would in Safety Savage.
T , we can play the should have could have thing on any draft with probably 95% of teams in the league. The only guy you mentioned was Watt who for many reason made sense at that time.

As to Shields he was a UDFA who played WR at The U so to compare to Alexander is not apples to apples. And no I don’t / did not consider Shields a shut down CB like Alexander

Shields was a guy who got lucky to show during pre-season to be part of ST's to make team

Back