Future QB

I think the new GM will choose the next QB. If Rodgers who seems interested in a new contract ext signs one sometime after next season. (Figure he's waiting on Carr, Stafford, and Ryan to set market) he will probably be under contract till he's 40 which means no need to draft a QB for 3-4 years.

I get where you are coming from Mark, but it's a gamble. As GBP says above, who knows with AR. He is probably looking for that next deal. Maybe he's good to go (from his perspective) for another 5 years or more. That chip on his shoulder may motivate him to try and break some records.

It's a tough call. I have no argument regarding the player just whether using a draft pick on anything other than a back-up is worth it until you know more. If this scout thinks this kid might be the #4 QB in the draft and he has the pro-type look, it may take a 1st or early 2nd to get him. If it does, I'm not in favor because it could be AR plays at a high level for a 4-5 more years and then the kid bolts in FA. If he falls into Rd 3 or lower, then sure, go for it. At worst you will have a new #2 QB for 4 years behind an aging and perhaps more injury prone QB, and that's worth a 3rd Rd (or later) pick.

I get where you are coming from Mark, but it's a gamble. As GBP says above, who knows with AR. He is probably looking for that next deal. Maybe he's good to go (from his perspective) for another 5 years or more. That chip on his shoulder may motivate him to try and break some records.

It's a tough call. I have no argument regarding the player just whether using a draft pick on anything other than a back-up is worth it until you know more. If this scout thinks this kid might be the #4 QB in the draft and he has the pro-type look, it may take a 1st or early 2nd to get him. If it does, I'm not in favor because it could be AR plays at a high level for a 4-5 more years and then the kid bolts in FA. If he falls into Rd 3 or lower, then sure, go for it. At worst you will have a new #2 QB for 4 years behind an aging and perhaps more injury prone QB, and that's worth a 3rd Rd (or later) pick.

Doing that will cripple GB for decades.... remember all the fuss when we drafted Rodgers as a #1 with Favre still here? It was BS... wasted pick etc. Outside of Tom Brady you just don't win SB with low draft pick QB nor do you win consistently. But hey if everyone wants to gamble on Rodgers sh))

Yea I am still gambling on Rodgers. I would like this kid in GB to learn behind the best but if the best plans on playing for 5+ years this kid is gone. That would be a wasted high pick. mid rounds sure but not early. Remember Favre was already beating around the bush of retiring soon when we grabbed AR. You want a guy we NEED in the 1st next year go after Arden Key for the next Von Miller pass rusher

With the new rookie contracts almost to the point you can't sit a QB more then 1-2 years as you need to play them see if they are worth keeping and paying a huge contract too. Esp if they are 1st round picks you need to decide after year 3 if you want to pick up 5th year.

Arod could also go off a cliff in a few years too... In todays NFL with the crappy Qb talent coming out of college if you see a QB you like and think could be an investment go for it. Your alternative is that you may not find a good Qb for decades because you've lost the ability to let them sit and learn.

Fans have got too used to having a HOF QB with very few issues for too long. NE can also get away with it because Brady is willing to free up a lot of money because it's not about being the highest paid (yes I know he has the benefit of a wife that's richer than he is). I'm not getting the feeling Arod will be as generous.

what makes you think Arod is going to fall off a cliff.... the the chance of?? He doesn't play a skill position like rb or wr where his speed and quickness is as important. I don't see his arm going to hell unless a major injury. And unless he develops Alzheimer's I don't see his football IQ going anywhere. My point is Qbs call play well into their 30s. Guys like Manning and Elway won rings at the ends of their career. (yea I get they had help). Only way Arod falls apart is a major injury or he decided to hang it up. I also don't feel like he will hold the org hostage like Brett did. SO if he says hes only going to play a few more years, yea invest in the qb in the 1st. as of right now I would be a wasted pick.

what makes you think Arod is going to fall off a cliff.... the the chance of?? He doesn't play a skill position like rb or wr where his speed and quickness is as important. I don't see his arm going to hell unless a major injury. And unless he develops Alzheimer's I don't see his football IQ going anywhere. My point is Qbs call play well into their 30s. Guys like Manning and Elway won rings at the ends of their career. (yea I get they had help). Only way Arod falls apart is a major injury or he decided to hang it up. I also don't feel like he will hold the org hostage like Brett did. SO if he says hes only going to play a few more years, yea invest in the qb in the 1st. as of right now I would be a wasted pick.
Your post is no different then the hundreds of Farve apologists we saw 10 plus years ago... go ahead live and die with #12 but when it's time and the QB play is podo( don't say you were not warned ahead of time. That goes for the lot of you... no whining down the road.

He's reckless and tries to make plays with his feet.. at 35 that's a good way to meet a 25 year old 250 OLB and BOOM ! End of playing career. I'll grant you he's lucky as shit but all it's going to take is one unlucky play. As for back up's if we get a guy that's 3-4 years out now that makes Rodgers 37 or 38. At that point just like Favre you cut bait and move to the younger guy, nature of the beast. Not sure why it's even kind of a big deal with anyone here.

Back