Going Forward

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
I am going with the assumption Rodgers is out at least 8 weeks or 7 games. Regardless the season isn't over. Not yet.

First things first you have a game vs the Saints in a week. Looking at injuries I think you take a mulligan and sit guys like Bak and Bulaga and let them heal over the off week. We need to get the OL and secondary back and you can do that on 3 weeks rest.

I would also retool the play book for Hundley's strength's as well as run the ball a lot more early. Basically I am saying if you need to take a L to the Saints so be it but you have to get those other injuries healthy to have a chance.

Long term if Hundley doesn't pan out this year then you have to draft a QB early next year and get someone in the wings. Better depth on the OL needs to happen as well... a swing tackle would be grand.

Just some thoughts. Good ..Bad or Ugly let's hear them.

I would tend to agree Mark. There definitely has to be a retooling of the overall plan for the season. It can't go on as business as usual. They have to start thinking strategically, much as you've outlined. A lot of disarray in many areas of this football team. The Rodgers injury is just the cherry on top.

Depends on the break, doesn't it? The way they're talking about him missing the season makes it sound more like a complete break than a fracture, which is what happened in 2013. I don't know he's going to heal up in time, and who knows he may need surgery.

About the hit: I've read multiple takes, that it was dirty at worst, unnecessary and/or gratuitous at best. For me the bottom line is, Aaron has gotten a little cozy and maybe overconfident working outside the pocket and it came back to bite him. You can't assume other players aren't going to take a gratuitous shot at you. He's not an old player but it's well past time he really took it upon himself to protect himself and just don't be in the position to take those kinds of hits.

As for the game, MM teams have never been good at doing a 180 on the fly. Once AR went down it was survival mode. That's disappointing because despite the complete cluster-f with injuries and that we were playing on the road with a pre-season roster, this was a winnable game. I agree with Mark about going forward with injuries - team needs to have a plan to get these guys right and stick with it. There's really no point rushing anyone back at this point.

Reactions: ski
Fracture = break....there are different kinds of fractures. It'll depend on the fracture.

I would also retool the play book for Hundley's strength's as well as run the ball a lot more early. Basically I am saying if you need to take a L to the Saints so be it but you have to get those other injuries healthy to have a chance.

They have little choice but to dumb down the playbook unless they want 3-4 turnovers a game. The game will move super fast for Hundley the next 3-4 games. These are not preseason game. He will see things defensively he has never seen before and then in a flash it will switch. If I was MM I would get Cobb involved as a wildcat QB and as a safety valve WR underneath.

It's not going to be easy and the defense is going to play more snaps now.

Thing is in 2013 we had our OL healthy and not playing with a patchwork OL and Lacy was playing great and running the ball hard taking pressure off the QB needing to do everything to win. Now this year we have a OL that is held together by gum and string and a running game that outside of one great game has not impressed at all. We all know Rodgers has mad up for several of the short comings this team has had. Right now with the injuries every where on this team I think we are asking to much for a injury plauged team to overcome. It just seems this is one of those years that the team just got snakebit and not much you can really do besides try in the future to build better depth that if you would have something like this happen again you have learned from it and have better quality depth to take over when guys go down.

Can MM change things up for Hundley? Maybe, he believes in his system to a fault, so my fear is he expects Hundley to be able to step in and run the same offense as Arod. Which would be setting him up for failure. Arod consistently bails out MM on the offensive side of the ball. MM isn't a great game planner, but Arod is one of the best because he can deal with MMs bad calls and broken plays. not sure Hundley can do that (at least not right away)

We used to have a tough, gritty, veteran OL who could play through injuries at a high level. But for some dumb reason MM/TT like youth (read: cheap) over experience and it has really bit GB in the butt hard. Our OL is soft, no other way to put it. Would be great to have Linsley right now as well.

MM and TT have been living on borrowed time (from Arod) for sometime now. I would like to think this would be the situation where that is more than evident. But now they both get a pass cause of the injury.

As for Hundley, will know a lot more after the Saints game.

But hopefully Hundley turns into a pro bowler and Gb can stay above .500 until/if Arod comes back this year.

About the hit: I've read multiple takes, that it was dirty at worst, unnecessary and/or gratuitous at best. For me the bottom line is, Aaron has gotten a little cozy and maybe overconfident working outside the pocket and it came back to bite him. You can't assume other players aren't going to take a gratuitous shot at you. He's not an old player but it's well past time he really took it upon himself to protect himself and just don't be in the position to take those kinds of hits.

I agree with the Arod getting a bit lazy. And i'll give Barr some benefit of the doubt cause Arod can be slippery. He could have just as easily pump faked Barr and kept running. To me Barr just tried to finish the play. Arod landed in an awkward position, it didn't look like an overly hard hit to me. At least no worse than i've seen from GB's LBs on occasion .....

Barr probably gets fined since it was like a step and a half before he hit Arod though.

with the way the OL is right now I would take my chances out of the pocket also. Half of college football has better lines then what we finished with yesterday. With Bak reinjuring his hammy, he could be done also. Pair that with the secondary and the injuries there, and its hard to field a team. its unreal how wounded this team is. Until we can stay semi healthy hundley has a tough job ahead of him.

The season isn't over and I think we can win some games in the next month, but somehow we need to get healthy with or without AR

I agree with the Arod getting a bit lazy. And i'll give Barr some benefit of the doubt cause Arod can be slippery. He could have just as easily pump faked Barr and kept running. To me Barr just tried to finish the play. Arod landed in an awkward position, it didn't look like an overly hard hit to me. At least no worse than i've seen from GB's LBs on occasion .....

Barr probably gets fined since it was like a step and a half before he hit Arod though.
No fine... the two-step rule isn't in play out of the pocket. He isn't considered defenseless as the rules are now.

Back