Green Bay's greatest position weakness is ?

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
A lot has been said about coaching and management this off season. But a team is only as good as it's players ?

What in your opinion is GB greatest positions of weakness that needs improvement ? The following are my top 3.

1. ILB GB has been plugging this hole for years and moved arguably their best defender to plug it. It's time to draft high and fix it once and for all.

2. TE, GB never replaced Finley and hasn't done well developing anyone at all for a long time.

3. Tie here : 3A, OL depth is bloody awful. One of my very best friends here is a life long OL coach. Watching the packers backups makes him laugh out loud. (he really did) 3B. I still don't like the DL as a whole. Their lazy and take plays off including Mike Daniels who loves to talk too much after a play. Really would like to draft a OT/DT to motivate the vets shape up or pack for Cleveland.

Those are mine... which positions do consider weak links ?

Must have: ILB by far number our number one need. I agree, let's address this with the top draft pick. If not, a proven veteran as a short term fix is a necessity!
Should have: OL is crucial. We need depth, youngsters that can backup and grow into the position as starters.
Nice to have: Would be nice to go after a proven veteran here.

I agree with all that's been written here so far. I'd have to add punter to that list as well. Masthay really hurt us at times last year with his punting. He's not god awful, but it's a position that could really use an upgrade.

As far as TE goes, it reminds me of safety several years ago after Collins got hurt. We just spent years sucking at that position before we drafted a worthy pro. Would like to see us try to get a TE early in the draft instead of adding more mediocrity at the back of the draft or UDFAs.

The easy picks are ILB, TE and OLB.
Ted does have a history of scooping up Wide Receivers which is another position I hope he addresses. This position has regressed and still needs to be replenished, even with Jordy Nelson's return.

1. ILB
2. DT
3. OL depth
4. TE
5. OLB

ILB for sure. If they draft one they better be sure he can contribute right away which seems to be a tough call in Capers system. I think Ted is going to have to take a deep breath and pull the trigger on a FA to get a starter. OT is needed before a TE and if not a stretch first round should be an OL. We have gotten by without a legit TE since Finley left and I don't think there is one in the draft that is first round quality. Henry will probably be gone time we pick in the second. Again the only way I think they get a decent TE is the dreaded FA route. Since this draft appears to be flooded with good DL I see Thompson probably using the first round on one. In my opinion our only chance of impact players is in free agency. Hopefully he surprises us all.

ILB, TE, P, OL depth and backup RB.

Not that I think that we should address them in that order in the draft.

ILB, OLB, TE/WR, OL. In that order. A 3-4 defense's strength should be LBs. Getting pressure is priority. If we don't take Hunter too early, then we're looking at mediocrity at TE again so go WR and spread them out. Then grab an OL with potential at OT. We should have a year to mold him into shape.

Back