Greg Jennings: Mike McCarthy held Packers back in postseason

CrewNation

Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Greg Jennings said Green Bay's playoff shortcomings all come back to the coach.

brewers

Continue reading...

from the article:

"Jennings is a prima donna who has been a frequent whiner, as well as blaming his inadequacies on Rodgers, since his 2013 split with the team. He spent seven seasons with the Packers before being exposed as just a guy when playing two seasons for the Minnesota Vikings and one with the Miami Dolphins."

i may have paraphrased that a bit.

Wrong area for this article? I saw it before and agree with Jennings this time. I think he hit the nail on the head here, McCarthy is a big part of the Packers problem.

Jennings was a great teammate when he was in GB.. he worked hard and was a key piece of the offense. He didn't run his mouth like Jmike, but Jmike gets a pass for some reason. I pretty much agree with what he is saying. MM consistently gets out coached when it's all on the line. Other people adjust he sticks with his plan.

Most receivers in GB are just guys who happen to be lucky enough to play with one of the best ever. Jordy, Cobb, etc.. They would all be just guys if they left....

Most receivers in GB are just guys who happen to be lucky enough to play with one of the best ever. Jordy, Cobb, etc.. They would all be just guys if they left....

i agree with the word "most". i disagree when specifically talking about jordy. even jordy's peers recognize that he is one of the top receivers in the league.

This got tossed around quite a bit on this board. MM's attitude of playing 'not to lose' has always kept the opposition in the game. It is the biggest reason we lost to the THChawks a couple years ago in the NFCCG, IMO. He gets outcoached in big games, it's a fact.
His latest snafu?- Deferring to Atlanta in his last NFCCG. You knew it would be a track meet, we weren't going to stop Atlanta- so MM decides to give them the ball first- WTF?
Jennings did a significant amount of whining after he left GB, his sister whined while he was still here, but he showed he was a damn good WR. Just not a great WR. Then he put on the purple and faded away into obscurity, LMAO!

Jennings was a great teammate when he was in GB.. he worked hard and was a key piece of the offense. He didn't run his mouth like Jmike, but Jmike gets a pass for some reason.

Jmike ran his mouth all the time so you expect it from him. It's easy to be critical of a situation after you leave it. I think it is pretty childish for Jennings to still sit out there and talk negatively about his time is Green Bay. If he was so unhappy or if things were so bad he could have left sooner. Even if he's 100% correct, it only sounds like sour grapes at this point. By all accounts Jennings is a great person both on and off the field so his running his mouth would be considered out of character therefore he gets called out for it.

As for MM, was he really out-coached in the playoffs last year or did the defense just let them down vs. Atlanta. Belichick is the exception and is by far the best coach currently active.

Belichich is 26-10 in the playoffs with 5 Championships.
Andy Reid has an 11-12 record with 0 championships
John Harbaugh is 10-5 with 1 ring
Pete Carroll 10-7 with 1 ring
McCarthy is 10-8 with 1 ring

There are no other active coaches with more than 1 ring.

As for MM, was he really out-coached in the playoffs last year or did the defense just let them down vs. Atlanta.
MM should have been AWARE of his defense's capabilities. It wasn't like they thought the defense was going to win the game. So why would you stake the #1 offense a 7-0 lead? The only way we win that game is to outscore the Falcons and giving them the ball first was a tactical mistake that even furthered our slim odds. IMO. I didn't feel let down by the defense because we knew our defense really had nothing left in the tank. In a 'track meet' football game- you need the ball as soon as you can get it.
Plus, we came out the second half with the all important possession and went three and out and punted. GENIOUS!

MM should have been AWARE of his defense's capabilities. It wasn't like they thought the defense was going to win the game. So why would you stake the #1 offense a 7-0 lead? The only way we win that game is to outscore the Falcons and giving them the ball first was a tactical mistake that even furthered our slim odds. IMO. I didn't feel let down by the defense because we knew our defense really had nothing left in the tank. In a 'track meet' football game- you need the ball as soon as you can get it.
Plus, we came out the second half with the all important possession and went three and out and punted. GENIOUS!

Atlanta punted twice the entire game. They scored on every other drive. Like you said we came out in the second half and went 3 and out. 3 incomplete passes. Then immediately gave up a TD to go down 31-0. Not taking the 1st have kickoff really didn't impact that game any considering they didn't score until the 2nd drive of the 3rd quarter. I understand what you are saying I just feel like MM gets a bad rap when it is truly execution on both sides of the ball and special teams that have cost them playoff wins.

by that time we were already down 24-0. it was clear that the team was not playing well on any level (except for punts). it wasn't the deferral of the opening kickoff that did us in. that's just one possession. the packers first four possessions ended with a missed 41-yard field goal, a fumble, a 3-and-out, and an interception. only one of those outcomes could even remotely be tied to coaching decisions. if we were counting on our offense to overcome a bad defense, it would have been nice if the offense had actually decided to show up.

Last edited:
Back