Hard Times Come to Much of Rural America

Discussion in 'Curley's Pub' started by Mark87, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Mark87

Mark87 Carpe Diem Admin

Ratings:
    +1,077 / 0
    WSJ opinions on article on rural Americas decline today

2. TW

TW Member

Ratings:
    +575 / 1
    Interesting. The demise of rural America is not because of liberal beliefs, but because of corporate greed that has even turned the family farms and small businesses aside for corporate interests.

The Walmart & corporate farms of today are a prime example. How many small businesses end up closed because of a Walmart? Farms, no longer family owned, in a corporate program designed to reward the corporations for not growing crops, and subsidizing those they do grow. They not only flourish, they're the ones who control the banks, through their investments.

If you want to right the ship, find ways to stop the bleeding of inner cities, with businesses and manufacturing jobs moving out to areas where they pay "zero taxes" in the US.

None of that is being addressed by the Trump administration or the Republicans at this time, although that should have been priority one. Instead, we're concerned about walls that shouldn't exist, and saving a few billion dollars in spending in programs that work. Meanwhile, trillions are pissed away with pork barrel agendas, and lobbyist influences.

3. realitybytes

realitybytes Member

Ratings:
    +652 / 0
    corporate farms are not examples of greed, they are examples of efficiency. larger farms enjoy economies of scale that can't be achieved by small family farms. smaller farms can still enjoy a profitable existence if they find a market niche that isn't being served by the larger corporate farms. it takes a little creativity, and a bit of marketing skill. but there are plenty of consumers willing to pay higher prices for such things as "organic" and "farm to table" and boutique crops. I worked with a guy (a horrible person, actually) who had a small, farm in the portland area. he has created a farm-to-table restaurant that serves the food that he grows on the farm, and it does quite well.

4. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +552 / 2
    The big problem is that the two "major" parties spend their time trying to appease their bases and voters with 20th century solutions to 20th century problems that largely don't exist anymore. Clinton, trump, or whoever has zero chance of bringing back manufacturing jobs and jobs in coal or fossil fuels because of market forces. manufacturing in the US is a fantastic example of innovation and efficiency, and as RB pointed out so are farms. Jobs are not being stolen they are being automated as happens in evolving economies. NAFTA was actually very profitable for farmers. That plant trump said he saved is using the tax breaks they were given for automation not adding jobs. As it should be. (automation not the tax breaks)

Now the real issue is that we should be looking for ways to retrain these people for the economy that does exist. Rural America gets hit hard because those people grew up and trained for specific industries that no longer need their skills. But instead of finding ways to make it easier to get these people trained and back to work the powers that be in D.C always, and I mean always, D or R, first look for a way for the rich elite to profit off them. Right now it's ridiculous student loan debt and ridiculous loan rates for start ups. That's how they're profiting off the poor. And until that changes, like having the courage to stop voting for D and R, nothing will change. The idiots in D.C. will succeed in pitting poor vs poor and keeping them distracted. "Oh, our policies screwed you? That's not our fault, it's those other moochers living off the system, ya those are the people who are keeping you poor. Now excuse us while we claim to drain the swamp while making it bigger..."

The current healthcare debate is a perfect example. Despite having 7 years to craft a replacement the GOP has come up with a bill that may actually be worse than the ACA. And they can't even get their own party to support it despite the fact they control all branches of government. Same thing is happening in WI with the budget. That's how bad the leadership is right now. That's staggering. And it should be a source of national and state embarrassment and shame. Reid, Pelossi, and McConnell will go down as some of the worst leadership this country has ever seen. Boehner was the only one who had a clue and they drove him out of town on a rail.

Nothing changes until we boot both parties out of power. Both are useless, both are corrupt, and both need to go. I for the life of me can't figure out why people keep throwing their votes away on these two failed parties..

rant) tc(sb(

5. 57packer

57packer 2017 Draft Guru

Ratings:
    +520 / 1
    I hear what you are saying "cheese" and I agree with most of it.

I don't have an answer, but ultimately it seems to me that the way we run our elections will hinder us even if we stop voting D&R. Our election process is long and expensive. Let's say we find Libertarian candidates (as an example) and those people somehow manage to win some national offices. Now they start to draw attention from those with money and influence. Pretty soon, the money and influence peddlers will buy them as well because elections cost money and not enough people are willing to step up to donate to their candidates in large enough amounts to consistently make it work.

Money seems to run the show and those with money are much better able to make their interests known to politicians than those of us who don't have millions to spend for access.

The problems in rural America have a little to do with politics but mostly have to do with economics and neither party is going to change those problems. Drive though rural areas and you will see local businesses, both service and manufacturing, that are closed due to economic pressures. When politicians say they will bring jobs, are they really doing things that are going to bring those jobs to rural America. Look at the current discussion about the possibility of a Foxconn plant in Wisconsin. They aren't talking about putting that plan in Rusk, Waupaca, Lincoln, or Grant counties. They are talking about putting it in SE Wisconsin. Not that it would be a bad thing, because SE Wisconsin can use the jobs too, but the rural people in those counties that voted say for Trump in the last election won't get much from that plant. I think many people greatly overestimate just what a president can do about the core economic issues. To me it seems the key to revitalizing rural America is making small businesses better able to compete. Those 5-50 employee businesses are the ones that are key to putting small towns back to work.

6. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +552 / 2
    And yet those 5-50 person companies never benefit from much touted tax cuts.

That's a great summation 57... well said.

7. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Member

Ratings:
    +529 / 3
    They benefit from it. They just don't take the benefit and turn it into growth. That is the goal of the tax cuts. I blame the political environment in general. Nobody feels good about the state of the government and with the Dems screaming impeachment after every Trump tweet the fear warranted.

8. Cheesedog

Cheesedog Moderator

Ratings:
    +552 / 2
    That's true. Much like how the GOP screamed impeachment/tyrant after everything Obama did. hence my assertion that nothing gets better until these parties are gone.

9. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Member

Ratings:
    +529 / 3
    Not disagreeing entirely but I can count on one hand the number of times I heard Republican officials calling for Obama impeachment. It is nearly every day for Trump. There were calls for his impeachment even before the inauguration.

10. realitybytes

realitybytes Member

Ratings:
    +652 / 0
    amen. the last time that i voted for one of the major party candidates for president was when i voted for ronald reagan.

i talked to so many people before this last presidential election who said that they did not like either candidate but they were still going to vote for one of them because they didn't want to throw their vote away. in my opinion voting for either one of those candidates was throwing your vote away. people just don't get it. they have the power to change things and they won't use it.