If someone told you before the draft that we'd do what we did...

Countertrey

Reaction score
How would you feel? Of course, none of us know how any of these guys will translate to the NFL level, but just based on the positions selected how do you feel?

I have to say I'm completely miffed at what we did in this draft. It was the kind of draft I would expect to maybe see if we'd won back to back SuperBowls and had a roster stocked on both sides of the ball.

When we don't use FA, our draft picks are expected to contribute a little more than they would elsewhere. I'm not sure how this class is supposed to help us this season outside of maybe Jake Ryan and maybe the Ragin' Cajun kid.

Perhaps, TT knows we have many guys ready to excel who contributed little last year. I sure hope so because I fear this draft may be worse than 2011's...on paper it seems to be.

"on Paper " AKA we have not seen these players on the field in pads and full speed. It's impossible to really evaluate any draft until 2-3 years down the road. ( not even those numbskulls grading it today) Once we hit August and were mid camp look me up.... we can talk more than.

Last edited:
It feels underwhelming because I don't think we came out of the draft any more physically imposing than when we went into it. Didn't add any match-up problems, or anyone with a very high ceiling. On the other hand, if we came out of it with 2 DBs with a knack for finding the ball, a proper KR/PR who can make a difference in the field position game, depth and smarts at ILB and maybe an overachiever adding depth to the DL, then that's nothing to sneeze at. Hundley will be a non-factor in 2015 and that TE seems like someone they could have signed as a UDFA.

Seems like the perfect draft from which to evaluate TT. If he'd made the safe picks, the ranked players, and filled the holes, fine. Doing it this way leaves questions such as the familiar ILB situation - does he have a free agent in mind, will they beef up Richardson and put him there, are they confident in the holdovers, will the defensive schemes negate the ILB deficiency (good old TT, he's got us all buffaloed) or will it still be a problem, ala safety before last year (that idiot TT, why doesn't he listen to us?). Is Montgomery going to be stone-hands receiver that can return kicks or be a sure-handed RB? Questions up and down the line. Be interesting to see what happens. Even then, there'll be a battle between folks like me, who consider anything less than the SB (and a win) this year a bust, and those that prefer making the playoffs every and seeing what happens.

Montgomery and Hundley were shocking picks to me... and so was a CB in Round 2 after taking a conversion project in R1. To have this many questions about the top 3 guys selected shouldn't be. We don't have that many questions regarding the last 3 guys selected.

Why would you take a S and convert to CB especially R1? Why would you take a CB who runs like a S and draft him to play CB? Those are your top 2. The 3rd selection is a guy for returns. That seems crazy to take a guy who is mostly going to see the field as a returner with your 3rd rounder. Very disappointed with the Top 3 picks...puzzled by the trade up for Pick 5. Drafting a FB? ...and then the TE from UAB? I'm okay with Ryan and Ringo...and despite where he was taken, I have a good feeling about Q Rollins. I think Randall is going to bust big time at CB.

I like some of the UDFA's better than our draftees. Hoping there's a Sam Shields type, or two, in there because I worry we aren't going to see it from the draft picks.

I didn't have a problem with our first 3 picks. With the departure of Tramon and House CB was a big need. Randall has played CB in the past. I guess the reason why he played S at ASU was they needed their best DB at that position. I checked out some of his clips from the combine and he has great feet and hips. I suspect had Ted and company known Rollins was gonna be there in round 2 they might not have taken Randall but how could they know in advance? Rollins doesn't have a lot of playing experience but neither did Sam at CB. Would taking Anthony or Kendricks had been reaches? Is there any guarantee they'd be any better than the guys we drafted? I don't think this was the greatest ILB draft class by any stretch. Unfortunately Ted couldn't move up in the second to take one of the better ones. I hope Ryan can plug up the middle and be a run stopper and not screw up like Brad Jones did.

If Montgomery can keep Cobb off ST and be a decent returner that alone makes it worth drafting him. And really, after Jordy, Cobb and Adams what did we have there? A kid who played in D-3 who barely saw any playing time in 2014, a slightly built WR who hurt his knee in TC and was lost for the season and another JAG in White? If we didn't take Montgomery and one of the top 3 WRs got hurt we'd be in a bind IMO.

McCarthy is one of the few HCs who uses a FB and Kuhn isn't getting any younger. Our new kid is faster, can catch passes out of the backfield and is a pretty good lead blocker. I think Eddie is gonna like running behind him.

Montgomery and Hundley were shocking picks to me... and so was a CB in Round 2 after taking a conversion project in R1. To have this many questions about the top 3 guys selected shouldn't be. We don't have that many questions regarding the last 3 guys selected.

Why would you take a S and convert to CB especially R1? Why would you take a CB who runs like a S and draft him to play CB? Those are your top 2. The 3rd selection is a guy for returns. That seems crazy to take a guy who is mostly going to see the field as a returner with your 3rd rounder. Very disappointed with the Top 3 picks...puzzled by the trade up for Pick 5. Drafting a FB? ...and then the TE from UAB? I'm okay with Ryan and Ringo...and despite where he was taken, I have a good feeling about Q Rollins. I think Randall is going to bust big time at CB.

I like some of the UDFA's better than our draftees. Hoping there's a Sam Shields type, or two, in there because I worry we aren't going to see it from the draft picks.

This is incorrect >>> Why would you take a S and convert to CB especially R1? <<<< He was a CB that ASU moved to Safety his SR year out of need, and they don't play a true FS in that defensive scheme more of a hybrid rover. Randell IS a CB and the whole Safety thing is overblown.

Well, he played S last season and the TV draft guys and the Packers themselves talked about them converting him from S to CB...and then there's this from his bio on NFL.com which speaks to his conversion: some teams have him projected as a cornerback. While he has the speed and athletic traits to transition to cornerback, his cover skills and technique need quite a bit of work to be ready for the NFL level. Randall has a nose for the ball and a strong desire to make an aggressive tackle in space, so there could still be teams that give him a legitimate shot at safety, where he carries a higher draft grade.

He is a conversion. He was more highly thought of in the position he played last season than he is at CB. I get the whole he only played S because they needed him to play there but that's what he was. Brady Quinn's reaction to our selection of him is worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

This whole draft was a puzzler... if some other team that we were rivals of did what we did we'd be laughing at them. Taking Hundley, not even mentioning trading up for him, almost ensures we have to waste a precious roster space to carry 3 QB's as he won't be ready, not that Scott is. Maybe, TT will just go with Hundley.

Who drafts a FB? Hardly anyone uses that dinosaur of a position. I can't see the need in taking him with a draft selection.

3 years is a long time to have to look back on this one.

Last edited:
My understanding is that Randall projects better to slot CB, even though he played S, and Rollins actually projects better to FS, even though he played CB. Now that doesn't help us on the perimeter right away but IMO if you have two guys who are willing to stick their noses in there and have a knack for finding the ball and getting their hands on it, that can only improve your secondary.

This was a somewhat frustrating draft, and part of that for some people, including myself, is that none of the names that were discussed by the media or the fans ended up being part of this draft group, even though those "names" were available at various points in the draft.

I'm not a huge fan of either the Randall or Rollins picks. Randall is somewhat of a project/conversion/not-quite-finished type of player. That does worry me in the sense that I'd prefer an NFL ready guy in Rd 1 (not including QB). Rollins is a ball-hawk type, but his lack of top-end speed is a concern. Seems like Hyde 2.0 but drafted much earlier. The thing is, the coaches have found ways to get guys like this ready and have them making plays in past so I think we will see the same thing. Not sure either will start, but suspect both will see a significant number of snaps. Despite not being ready-made starters, the defensive backfield just got more athletic and versatile.

I like the Montgomery pick even if he's limited as a WR. People, including myself, have complained about not having capable returners and special teams play. He elevates the return game, especially kick-offs considerably over last year. Give AR an extra 10-15 yards of field position on kick-offs and he will find a way to put more points on the board. As a WR he'll be used somewhat the way Cobb is used.

I think Ryan is probably about as effective as some of the guys who were discussed to the Pack earlier in the draft. Coverage is not his strength, but we play so little base defense that I'm not sure it matters.

I'm not thrilled with Hundley, but not entirely down on the pick. He was value at that point because he's got the physical tools to be a good QB. Maybe MM and Co. can get the mental part to click in. I'm skeptical, but not worried about carrying 3 on the roster. Almost every single NFL team does. TT didn't used to, but before him, Sherman and Wolf always carried 3. It's really not such a hardship.

I get that teams don't draft fullbacks "much", but teams still do it. 3-4 FBs were drafted this year. I like Ripkowski and hope he's our Kuhn for the next 7-8 years, at which point you can draft another FB.

Ringo fits a specific need. He was a niche pick like some of the others. Guys meant to fill a specific role. He is purely an inside pass rusher. They have Daniels and really nobody else. If they can get this guy to do that one thing then he becomes valuable.

Blackman is Brandon Bostick 2.0. Speedy TE who again serves a niche role. Specific plays and routes and special teams player. Hopefully this version is better than Bostick 1.0, who was a perpetual tease.

I'm not real excited about this draft but there are some solid role players that were added. Maybe they develop into solid starters at some point, but several of these guys will clearly play important roles on this team next year. My main disappointment is TT completely ignoring the OL. Seems like this draft was all about filling specific roles for next year.

Last edited:
Back