Mark Murphy: A Perspective

Terranimal

Reaction score
So much discussion over Thompson, McCarthy and his staff, Aaron Rodgers, but when it comes to Murphy no one seems to have a handle on him. In the hierarchy of the Packers everything starts and ends with him. This is the person Thompson answers to even though Thompson is in charge of football side of things and Murphy runs the business side of the Packer franchise and Packer brand.

Who is Mark Murphy? Think before reaching conclusions and subjective opinion, it's important to know his background.

As a Safety at 6-4 210 (big even in today's era), he played 4 years before the legendary Joe Gibbs took over. He played with such intelligence that Gibbs didn't need to give him much direction, ultimate sign of respect.

Gibbs was quoted as saying "He's the player who was too smart for me to coach."

The Skins went 8-8 the first year of Gibbs tenure and won a Super Bowl the next. Murphy had said was one of the best things to happen to him as they went to becoming a very good team all of a sudden.

Murphy watched, learned, and listened in his time with Gibbs which he credits shaping his career in sports. Murphy was a team captain, led NFL in '83 with 9 Int and finished career with 27 INT, 2 time Pro Bowler, was a player representative, and sat on the bargaining committee.

He has been athletic director at Colgate and then Northwestern before taking over the reins at GB.

Murphy imo strikes me more of a Ron Wolf type of person. That is he's intelligent but reserved and careful with his words, not to tip his hand.

Many think no changes will come at season's end if team doesn't turn things around. Just like in Wolf's time here, think one has to look between the lines.

First, how bad have things got in GB, when Murphy has to take questions and answers on the football side of things? Murphy has his plate full with the development of what we could call Title Town.

Something found very interesting was the Skins vs Pack game. Body language sometimes tells more than words ever will. The look on Murphy's face was priceless. Also interesting was Thompson leaving the booth early where both were watching the game.

It had to be very disturbing after playing Safety at a PB level watching our Secondary getting torched. In fact the play on the field overall has been most of this season. Packers are expanding and putting a lot of money into the development. A winning team or at least a good product on the field helps promote the venture and leads to money spent on all things Packers.

Had this pretty much wrote and then held off when the article with Murphy came out.

Again while most seem to think Thompson and McCarthy are safe at season's end and only sacrificial staff maybe let go, I don't think they are safe. When Murphy said that no mid season firings, a lot of football left and so on, reminded me of almost same kind of words and stance Ron Wolf took at the same point of the season that he ended up firing Ray Rhodes. Again the point that Murphy had to even entertain and felt compelled to speak on the subject matter means smoke is rising up to the top of the organization.

In the end it might be economics that make the decision for Murphy. On a bad year sales will be down on merch and maybe everything concerning packers....HOF, tours, rentals, etc. Not making the play offs and no extra home game also has a financial impact. Be interesting to see if team is still going downhill if fans leave the rest of the home games early again and boo. Again not good for the brand that boasts the best fans in the world.

Yes salaries of McCarthy and Thompson would cost a lot of let go. But if the brand is taking a hit and more so the monies Packers take in goes down, might make the loss of paying these two easier when looking at the big picture long term.

So whether it's Murphy the player in heart or Murphy the big cheese of Packer and business, it just might be when all is considered that one or both could be gone at season's end....but using the standard line going...."There's still a lot of football left." Lol.

Credits: quotes and background from NY Times, some background from Wikipedia.

I don't think the majority of fans realize just how football savvy Murphy is. They think of him as an exec, in an ivory tower, whose job is strictly business. Although his job is business, his background in football is so perfect for the job that he's probably the perfect type to be where he is.

I'm fairly confident that both Thompson and McCarthy understand the boss is as football knowledgeable as either of them, possibly both of them. They can't use a snow job to get past him. He'll cut them down to size before they knew what happened.

Whatever happens, in regards to Thompson and McCarthy is pretty much up to Murphy, with the Executive Board weighing in on the options, but not actually making the decisions. It's all on Murphy's shoulders. When he was a player, he was the total package. He played at a level that others just dream about. He knows the game, and knows what needs to be done.

I'll accept Murphy's decision on these guys, because I don't believe for a heartbeat he'd do anything that wasn't right for the organization and fans.

Consider that Murphy takes orders from the BOD T. Why would they go to him and fire the cash cow ? The stadium is full every home game.(They remodeled and keep adding seats more $)

Merchandise sales and other marketing have kept the coffers full. If you read around there is still a high % that support MM/TT without question etc.

This franchise has always had loyal fans to a fault... it's why we suffered through Starr and Gregg for so long. But be realistic financially they would gain more by squeezing another yr out of this current staff then by cutting them loose. While many of us don't like that prospect I will be shocked if anything other then Capers retiring and a couple token asst coach's get cut after the season.

After 2017 you have a 34 going on 35 yr old starting QB and both MM/TT with only a yr left on contract. TT retires and MM buy out is easier to swallow. tc(

TT will be 64 at the end of this season. Wolf was 63 when he stepped down. I don't know how long TT plans to stick around but if he's only going to be here another year or two I don't see him making a coaching change, I just don't. And I don't see Murphy sidestepping TT to make one either.

I'm just afraid this will get kicked down the road with the thinking that E. Wolf will assess the coach when he takes over. TT's contract goes through 2018 and although that doesn't mean he can't retire or "retire" I just have this gut feeling TT/MM are here for another 2 years at least.

But does he? When Harlan took over that was deal, total control w/o interference. The interference from the BOD was a big part of the dismal years, and even more specifically Judge forget his name.

While you might be right, at the same time for the very reasons you said can also be the same to part ways. Looking long term and keeping on field viable and not regress into dismal. Don't think anyone wants a lame duck HC, GM, and maybe QB. It's so easy to fall and set the Franchise backwards for a long time, but so hard to keep it at a high competitive level.

So while on one hand you and Pack might or probably are correct because of the contract money, IF the on field product and future product and brand matter, just might pull the trigger and let the hammer fall..

Also as we have spoke of much, a large part of the fan base wasn't around during the drought years. And seeing how the younger generations are for what is hot now with little patients, so not so sure stands would stay full if Pack went backwards for years. Especially when ticket prices are a lot higher then 30 years ago, not to mention the luxury boxes and so on.....that could prove to be a bad bet.

What Mark and T have hit on is the biggest frustration for this Packer fan in particular. #1 focus of BOD and CEO is making money. It's a business first and a football team second. I get that, it's the modern NFL. However, that also means those of us who want to take the risks and chances you need to in order to win a championship are often disappointed because that's not the focus. Those at the top don't have being SB champs as their primary focus. Not ever sure the front office has winning a SB as their primary focus. TT looks at this more like a business. Keep the books balanced, contracts manageable, don't rock the boat. If you win a SB bonus, but it's not the top priority.

This is the one downside to having a BOD instead of a billionaire owner. A billionaire owner is more willing to spend what it may take to provide a greater chance of winning a championship. Does it always work out? Not at all, but at least you took the risk. Because they can absorb the added cost. It doesn't affect their personal wealth all that much.

We have a team built to have a good regular season, always make the playoffs but that's about it. Every once in a while you get lucky (2010) instead of being a serious contender all the time. Steady as she goes, don't rock the boat. And that is super annoying to me. I don't want steady as she goes, I want to see them win another SB.

Yes GB fans are spoiled, but at the same time they're not stupid or bandwagon. They know full well how lucky they are to have Favre followed by Arod. And the fact that Peyton, Brady, Eli and Big Ben have 2 rings or more each, while Arod and favre only have one each is a point of embarrassment to some of us, as it should be. But that's what you get with an organization that is a business first and a football team second. We may not see another SB title in GB in our lifetimes. And that is what makes me most dissapointed. It's not being spoiled or ungrateful. Its the realization that the current mindset of this organization is wasting an opportunity few franchises get. Despite all the lip service to history this organization has completely forgot the Vince Lombardi mindset. And it all starts with Murphy and the BOD.

Back