McCarthy hanging onto whatever hope he can find

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - His team finished the season with a pair of losses, dropped three division games for the first time in his tenure and blew a chance to win a fifth straight NFC North title.

Continue reading...

Nothing to hang onto. Hope your defense can win you a playoff game, but there is simply nothing on offense. They will not go far. This is probably the least enthusiastic I've been this late in the season in many years. I'll watch the game(s), but honestly don't hold out much hope that we even get by Washington next week.

“I’m hanging my hat on my football team," McCarthy said after a 20-13 loss to the Minnesota Vikings at Lambeau Field. "We’re a playoff team. There’s six NFC teams in the playoffs. We’re the fifth seed. We had an excellent opportunity here at home to be the third seed. Didn’t take care of it. There’s not a big difference, trust me, between one and six.”

o_O

Here is your reason for hope: the 2012 Baltimore Ravens.

Ravens started off hot, 5-1. Offense went into a rut, fired their OC, average defense, lost 4 of last 5 games. Went into the playoffs with the 19th ranked offense and 25th ranked defense. But then the QB got hot.

I don't know what's wrong with Aaron Rodgers. It's been discussed to death, the multitude of things that have happened on the field and are maybe happening in his head. But as long as you have a talent like that - and he is a talent - you have a chance. There's no reason to think he'll get hot, but he might. He just might.

Anyway, there's your hope. A fools hope, as Gandalf would say, but hope nonetheless. Enough to cling to for one more week.

Ravens started off hot, 5-1. Offense went into a rut, fired their OC, average defense, lost 4 of last 5 games. Went into the playoffs with the 19th ranked offense and 25th ranked defense. But then the QB got hot.

I don't know what's wrong with Aaron Rodgers. It's been discussed to death, the multitude of things that have happened on the field and are maybe happening in his head. But as long as you have a talent like that - and he is a talent - you have a chance. There's no reason to think he'll get hot, but he might. He just might.

Anyway, there's your hope. A fools hope, as Gandalf would say, but hope nonetheless. Enough to cling to for one more week.

And who knows? Maybe, just maybe, McCarthy decides to adjust schematically and game plan to get his WR's open. What does he have to lose at this point? IMO, the needle is pointing down for this team and playoff time is the perfect time to try a new angle. If they lose, they lose, but don't keep doing the same stale stuff that hasn't worked well this season. Go for it and throw caution to the wind. Maybe MM has reached that point. We'll see on Sunday.

From the dark side, I'd look at that team and see that they were 9-2, and on the 1-4 streak, they lost one by 3, a second by 3 in overtime, and the last game after resting their starters from the second quarter. They had their division wrapped up, and didn't lose it at home in the final game. Flacco did very well in the playoffs, looking at TD passes and overall rating, but he was only >60% completions and >300 yards in one game. Your last paragraph pretty well mitigates the "hope", so nothing to argue with there.

Back