McCarthy: Mental errors have been an emphasis this week

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay — The following is a summary of coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice comments Thursday morning:

- (On approaching the second exhibition game) Biggest thing we'll look for is taking a step, improving on what we did last week against New England. ... You always start with the fundamentals. Mental errors have been an emphasis throughout this week. ... We're playing a different style football team. It will be a great challenge for us.
- (On Eddie Lacy's growth) I would say Eddie Lacy's biggest growth would be in the pass protection and pass receiving checkdowns. I would say that's where he's made the biggest improvement, particularly from year one to year two. ... He really fits into our system, has a clean understanding now.
- (On continuity between offensive linemen and tailbacks) As far as the timing and combination blocks and the trust that you have, particularly in the early part of the running backs course, all those things tie in.
- (On Aaron Rodgers' mobility) I would think he's back (from calf injury). He's in excellent shape. He's moved very well. Going through the quarterback school drills he looks very smooth. That's the way you want to play. ... The ability to move the quarterback is something that definitely stresses the defense.
- (On Scott Tolzien experiencing different situations) Really the whole team. The decisions I'm making on the sideline, I'm trying to create as many opportunities as possible. ... Scott Tolzien, definitely. I want to see him run the same offense Aaron is running.
- (On adjusting playing time for the first-team offense) I guess we'll see that at the end (of training camp).
- (On Mike Solari as an addition to the staff) Excellent football coach, very demanding. Always brings a ton of experience. I really like the way James Campen and Mike have partnered and work together. ... It's a very healthy coaching situation. It's an excellent room. Clearly our best offensive line room in my time here, top to bottom.
- (On John Kuhn's lengthy career) John Kuhn is smart, he's disciplined, has a lot of grit. He's fundamentally sound in what he's asked to do. He's a real student of the game. John knows the offense inside and out. He's really on top of everything we're trying to get done here. ... He's a real pro’s pro. ... John has been really consistent. He does a great job taking care of himself and his body. The biggest growth I've seen is probably in his marketing and radio shows and things like that.
- (On Davante Adams' leaping ability) Jump balls are for basketball. If you got a 1-on-1 situation and based on other factors involved you may want to call the 50-50 ball, but I don't view it as us dropping back and just throwing it up there. ... He's a great athlete; I think he's had a heck of a camp.
- (On Pittsburgh) Going home is always special. ... I'm looking forward to seeing my family before the game.

Continue reading...

Back