Morgan Burnett - Staying or leaving?

TW

Reaction score
I don't have a good feel about the Packers keeping Burnett. To be honest, I think he's going to bolt for free agency. He could get up to $50 mill from a team that can use his talents. Just looking around, there are a lot of them. At the top of the heap? I see Oakland, and even Cleveland, the Giants, and Seahawks as possible homes. It would save all of them investing an early pick in the defensive secondary, and make them stronger.

I think the Packers end up out of the bidding about the time the paycheck reaches about $40 mill. They have way too many holes to plug, and this would be a cap eater they can't afford.

We're going to miss him, but we don't know how big of an impact it will make until after our coaching staff puts our team on the field. His role may have been significantly reduced anyway. It's difficult saying at this point.

Burnett while steady for a few years may need replacing anyway. He's great at getting everyone lined up and he doesn't make big mistakes however his days of being a big playmaker are about over too. It's a horse a piece. If they can get a solid SS with one of the extra picks it's a spot you get younger and faster and his $ toward another vet.

I think they've penciled in Josh Jones as his replacement already. The only thing that could significantly change that would be his not being offered big bucks out there, and our new DC thinking he needs him to direct his newly designed defense.

Now, thinking aloud here.... who will be the new "defensive QB?" Who will get the green dot? I have a hunch we're going to see it go to Blake Martinez. The alternate will be Randall, if Martinez is out.

UFA -
Morgan Burnett

Under Contract -
HHCD
Josh Jones
Kentrell Brice
Marwin Evans
Jermaine Whitehead

A draft pick added to the group is always a possibility.

My hope is that someone from the 3rd yr group (Brice/Evans/Whitehead) steps out of the shadows and becomes a trusted starter to replace Burnett.

Jones may be that person as well, but it would require a massive step forward after a mistake riddled rookie campaign.

Martinez would be a good choice for the green dot, but what about (if he's still here) CM3 as well?

I would think they resign him on a 2 yr deal front loaded. If you can squeak a couple yrs out of him then it allows BG time to get in some better pass rushers and build depth at corner.

I would think they resign him on a 2 yr deal front loaded. If you can squeak a couple yrs out of him then it allows BG time to get in some better pass rushers and build depth at corner.

Sporttrac has him at a projected 4 year $45.7 million dollar deal. That that price I don't think the Packers can afford to bring him back.

Sporttrac has him at a projected 4 year $45.7 million dollar deal. That that price I don't think the Packers can afford to bring him back.

If this is where the price goes, I think they say goodbye. Too many needs, and not enough money to put it all in just a couple of baskets.

Burnett while steady for a few years may need replacing anyway. He's great at getting everyone lined up and he doesn't make big mistakes however his days of being a big playmaker are about over too. It's a horse a piece. If they can get a solid SS with one of the extra picks it's a spot you get younger and faster and his $ toward another vet.

When you put it like that I almost let him walk and find a SS that's got more range. I guess we wait and see what this DC has in mind.

everything i've read has burnett rated as one of the top free agents available this off-season. he's going to be dealing from a position of strength, and i really don't think he's going to settle for a two-year deal. i've resigned myself to the fact that he's probably going to be snatched up by some other team. i really hope haha turns things around and jones takes a big step up. jones has the tools to be a top notch safety imho. but he does need to clean up the mistakes.

If Burnett is one of the top free agents then this is a real crappy year for free agents.

IMO Burnett’s primary value to this team is that he covers up some of the major holes in the secondary. He plays SS and ILB, he plays slot corner, hell in 2016 he even lined up outside at corner. Thing is, I assume we want to actually fix those holes and not rely on Burnett to be a backup, so how much do you commit to the guy? It took him forever to learn Capers scheme, can he get Pettines down quickly? He has had a lot of leg injuries over the past couple years, what’s he projected availability? I think they’re done with him.

Back