New DC and position coaches Thread

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Figured we needed one thread all on it's own for the subject. Several names out there.

Vic Fangio ( Still 98% he stays put with new HC)
Mike Nolan
Gus Bradley
Steve Spagnuolo
Paul Guenther ( Sounds like Jon Gruden has him locked up)
Jack Del Rio
James Bettcher

Others ?

So I poached this on Fangio since he keeps coming up. Thanks to Shane on another forum... he did the homework.

Posted 6 hours ago
6 hours ago, Green19 said:
Or has he had better talent?

Good call and I posted this earlier, but it bears repeating.

Vic Fangio has been fired as a DC 7 times, if Chicago dumps him, that makes an even 8.
All those teams hired him thinking he was the answer... and then fired him thinking they could do better with somebody else calling the shots. That's a lot of firings. And that's kinda the story in the NFL. When you have good/great players - you are great. When you don't - you're not great. When Fangio was in SF with a loaded defense, he was great. But then Willis got hurt, Aldon Smith was a dope, Bowman got hurt, Justin Smith got old. And then Vic Fangio was back to being not great and lost his job.
I think I like Fangio as an option, but let's add a little perspective here. The first order of business is better defensive players, that's a much bigger issue and predictor of success than who is calling the defense imo.
Vic Fangio worked for Capers in Carolina, he was the DC. And they held teams to 13 points/ game in 1996. That's pretty damn impressive
Until they came to Lambeau and got lit up for 30 points in the NFCCG . By 1998, Fangio's defense was ranked 27th and he was fired. Panthers then brought in defensive guru George Seifert of 49ers fame. The Fans rejoiced !
Seifert then went 8-8, 7-9, 1-15 and got fired... Despite Seiferts' pedigree as a top defensive dude, his defenses finished 26th, 12th, 28th in points given up during his quickly-terminated 3 year tenure. They fired Fangio for running a 27th ranked defense and got the 28th ranked defense with a shiny new guy poached from a perennial contender.
I'm totally fine with making changes, but let's not live in the imaginary pretend world that making a coaching change cures the Packers defense or that Vic Fangio is some kind of a savior. He isn't. If you give him top talent, he'll build ya a top defense. Same as most DCs
If you don't give him talent, nothing will change... except more change.

From that list i would go for Spags or Del Rio.. problem is they are both threats to MM... still not sure why they dumped Del rio in OAK. Overall i thought he did well all things considered..

That seems to cover the list though Whitt is odds on if in house...
  1. More thought is Fangio takes over HC role though he is hot with a few teams after him

Anyone on the list run a 4-3? I prefer it myself the trouble is finding big DE's that can pass rush also...especially where we draft at most of the time. Unless by some stroke of luck one becomes a FA, which is rare unless bagage/injury.

Edgar Bennett and Alex Van Pelt out as OC and QB coach, respectively. Didn’t see that coming. More and more change around MM...

Edgar Bennett and Alex Van Pelt out as OC and QB coach, respectively. Didn’t see that coming. More and more change around MM...
The plot thickens. Change was asked for and we're getting it. Let's see what quality control assistants ,on staff, step up into those roles.

The plot thickens. Change was asked for and we're getting it. Let's see what quality control assistants ,on staff, step up into those roles.

DC, GM, OC all gone. Why not just suck it up and fire McCarthy?

Somebody had to take the fall for Hundley's inability to move the team. It wasn't McC & Thompson's fault. Just because they let Hill get away, and left Callahan sitting on the bench, doesn't mean they messed up. It was the assistants who failed to turn him into Rodgers II. :rolleyes:

Back