Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
thedopesheet.jpg

GREEN BAY (4-4) AT TENNESSEE (4-5)
Sunday, Nov. 13 l Nissan Stadium l 12 p.m. CST
The Green Bay Packers begin a three-game road trip with a visit to Tennessee to play the Titans.
Green Bay is playing three road games in a row for the first time since 2012 and only the third time in the last 19 seasons (also 1998).
Sunday will be Green Bay’s third regular-season visit to Tennessee. The previous two regular-season matchups at the Titans were decided by six and three points.
The Packers trail in the overall series with the Titans, 5-6, but won the last meeting, 55-7, in 2012 at Lambeau Field.
In the last meeting with the Titans, QB Aaron Rodgers recorded a 125.1 passer rating after completing 27 of 38 passes for 342 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions.
Rodgers has registered three-plus passing touchdowns in each of the last three games, totaling 10 touchdowns and one interception over that span.
It marks the fifth time in his career that Rodgers has registered three-plus passing touchdowns in three or more straight games in single season (five: Games 6-10 in 2011 / four: Games 4-7 in 2012 and 2014 / three: Games 14-16 in 2012).
According to pro-football-reference.com, Rodgers is the only quarterback in the NFL to record three consecutive games with three-plus touchdown passes this season.
The Packers have scored 23 or more points in five of the last six games.
Green Bay has at least a .500 record through the first eight games of the season for the 10th consecutive season (4-4, 6-2, 5-3, 5-3, 5-3, 8-0, 5-3, 4-4, 4-4, 7-1).
The Packers are 56-32 in the first eight games of a season under Head Coach Mike McCarthy. Green Bay’s .636 winning percentage in the first eight games of the season is tied for No. 2 in the NFL since 2006 (New York Giants), trailing only the New England Patriots (68-20, .773).
Green Bay will be playing its third game that kicks off at noon CT this season, having previously won at Jacksonville, 27-23, and vs. Detroit, 34-27.
Three of the Packers’ four losses this season have been by a combined nine points.
Both of Green Bay’s next two games are scheduled to be played in primetime, first traveling to Washington for a matchup on Sunday night and then to Philadelphia for a Monday night contest. It is the last two of five primetime games that were scheduled for Green Bay this season. The Packers were 2-1 in their first three primetime games this season.

WITH THE CALL
FOX Sports, now in its 23rd season as an NFL network television partner, will broadcast the game to a regional audience.
Play-by-play man Kenny Albert joins analyst Daryl Johnston and sideline reporter Laura Okmin.
Milwaukee’s WTMJ (620 AM), airing Green Bay games since November 1929, heads up the Packers Radio Network that is made up of 50 stations in five states. Wayne Larrivee (play-by-play) and two-time Packers Pro Bowler Larry McCarren (analyst) call the action. McCarren first joined the team’s broadcasts in 1995 and enters his 22nd season calling Packers games. After originally being paired together in 1999, McCarren and Larrivee enter their 18th season of broadcasts together.
Sports USA Radio will air the game on radio across the country. John Ahlers (play-by-play) and John Robinson (analyst) will call the action.
The broadcast is also available on Sirius Satellite Radio (WTMJ feed).
DIRECTV subscribers can watch the game on Channel 711.

THE DOPE ON THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT:
Packers vs. Titans:
All-time, Regular season: 5-6-0
All-time, Postseason: 0-0
All-time, in Tennessee: 0-2-0
Streaks: The Packers halted Tennessee’s three-game winning streak with a 48-point win in 2012.
Last meeting, regular season: Dec. 23, 2012; Packers won, 55-7, Lambeau Field

COACHES CAPSULES
Mike McCarthy: 116-66-1, .637 (incl. 8-7 postseason); 11th NFL season
Mike Mularkey 22-44-0, .333; 5th NFL season
Head to Head: McCarthy 1-0
vs. Opponent: McCarthy 1-1 vs. Titans; Mularkey 0-1 vs. Packers

MIKE McCARTHY…Is in his 11th year as the Packers’ 14th head coach.
Joined Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren as the only coaches to guide the Packers to a Super Bowl title with a win over Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV.
Led the Packers to their seventh consecutive playoff appearance last season, joining New England as the only two NFL teams to do so over that span. Has also led the team to eight playoff appearances in the last nine years (2007, 2009-15).
Guided the Packers to top-10 finishes in scoring in eight straight seasons (2007-14), joining the Patriots as the only other team to accomplish the feat over that time; Packers finished first overall in scoring in 2014.
His .646 winning percentage during the regular season (105-56-1) ranks No. 3 among active NFL head coaches (min. 50 games).
Had 104 regular-season wins in his first 10 seasons as a head coach, ranking No. 3 in NFL history.

MIKE MULARKEY…Is in his second year as the Titans’ 17th head coach.
Led Tennessee to two wins as the interim head coach in 2015.
A former NFL tight end, coached TE Delanie Walker in consecutive seasons to set the franchise record for receiving yards by a tight end.
Coached the Atlanta Falcons offense to have a 3,000-yard passer, 1,000-yard receiver and 1,000-yard rusher in three of his four seasons as offensive coordinator.
Coordinated an offense in Pittsburgh from 2001 that saw RB Jerome Bettis’ final season as a 1,000-yard rusher and was named Assistant Coach of the Year in 2001 by the Pro Football Writers of America.
Was appointed head coach after serving as interim for nine games in 2015.

THE PACKERS-TITANS SERIES
The teams split the six matchups from 1972-92 when the Titans were the Houston Oilers.
The Packers won the first matchup of the series (Dec. 13, 1998) after Houston relocated to become the Tennessee Oilers.
Green Bay has been held to less than 10 points in the series only twice, scoring three points on Dec. 14, 1980, and Sept. 7, 1986.
Since relocating to Nashville following the 1996 season, Tennessee has not lost on the road to Green Bay.
Tennessee’s win in 2008 was part of a 13-3 season that saw the Titans earn their second NFC South title and No. 1 seed in the playoffs.

NOTABLE CONNECTIONS
Packers executive vice president, general manager & director of football operations Ted Thompson played linebacker for the Houston Oilers from 1975-84, appearing in 146 of 147 games...Green Bay TE Jared Cook was drafted in the third round in 2009 by Tennessee and played his first four seasons (2009-12) with the Titans...Packers senior personnel executive Alonzo Highsmith was drafted third overall by the Oilers in the 1987 NFL draft and played for Houston from 1987-89...Titans assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau was the defensive backs coach for Green Bay from 1976-79...Tennessee LB Nate Palmer started 12 of 24 games for the Packers from 2013-15 after being drafted in the sixth round by Green Bay...Titans DL Karl Klug was born in LaCrosse, Wis. ...Green Bay defensive coordinator Dom Capers (1980-81) and special teams coordinator Ron Zook (1984-86) coached defensive backs for the University of Tennessee...Packers WR Randall Cobb is from Alcoa, Tenn. ...Titans running backs coach Sylvester Croom held the same position for the Packers from 2001-03...In Pittsburgh, Titans head coach Mike Mularkey coached with Packers associate head coach/offense Tom Clements (2001-03), secondary-safeties coach Darren Perry (2003) and Zook (1996-98)...Mularkey also spent time in Buffalo with Clements (2004-05) and Green Bay quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt (2005)...Capers coached in Miami with Mularkey (2006-07), Tennessee offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie (2007) and special teams assistant Steve Hoffman (2007)...Titans linebackers coach Lou Spanos coached for the Steelers with Clements (2001-03), Zook (1996-98) and Perry (2003-06)...Capers coached with LeBeau (1992-94) and Tennessee special teams coordinator Bobby April (1994) in Pittsburgh...Perry coached under LeBeau in Cincinnati for the 2002 season and in Pittsburgh from 2004-06...April and Van Pelt coached in Buffalo from 2005-09...Clements coached with April in New Orleans (1997-99) and Buffalo (2004-05)...Titans offensive line coach Russ Grimm worked with Clements in Pittsburgh from 2001-03...Grimm and Perry coached together with the Steelers from 2003-06...Robiskie and Grimm were colleagues with Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac in Washington in 2000...Titans wide receivers coach Bob Bratkowski, son of former Packers QB Zeke Bratkowski, coached with Perry in Cincinnati in 2002...Bratkowski and Packers associate head coach/linebackers coach Winston Moss coached together in Seattle in 1998...Green Bay defensive quality control coach Ejiro Evero coached Titans CB Perrish Cox (2014) and TE Delanie Walker (2011-12) while with the 49ers...Packers LB Julius Peppers played in Chicago in 2013 with Tennessee LB David Bass...Green Bay S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix played at Alabama with Titans FB Jalston Fowler (2011-13) and RB Derrick Henry (2013)...Packers DT Kenny Clark (2013) and DE/LB Datone Jones (2012) were coached by Spanos at UCLA...Green Bay QB Brett Hundley (2012-14), Clark (2013-15) and Jones (2012) played at UCLA with Tennessee LB Aaron Wallace...Titans T Taylor Lewan played at Michigan with Packers LB Jake Ryan (2011-13) and FB Joe Kerridge (2012-13)...Tennessee LB Derrick Morgan and Green Bay S Morgan Burnett played at Georgia Tech from 2007-09...Cobb and Titans LB Avery Williamson were Kentucky teammates in 2010...Packers CB Demetri Goodson played at Baylor with Titans WR Kendall Wright in 2011...Klug played at Iowa with Green Bay T Bryan Bulaga (2008-09), DT Mike Daniels (2008-10) and DB Micah Hyde (2009-10)...Cook and Tennessee K Ryan Succop played at South Carolina from 2005-08...Titans DT Jurrell Casey played at Southern California with Packers LB Clay Matthews (2008) and LB Nick Perry (2009-10)...Green Bay WR Davante Adams played at Fresno State in 2013 with Titans CB Curtis Riley...Cox and Packers T Lane Taylor played at Oklahoma State in 2009.

LAST MEETING, REGULAR SEASON
Dec. 23, 2012, Lambeau Field, Packers won, 55-7
QB Aaron Rodgers completed 27 of 38 passes (71.1 percent) for 342 yards and three TDs (125.1 passer rating).
The Packers defense forced two interceptions and sacked Titans QB Jake Locker seven times.
RB Ryan Grant ran for 80 yards and two TDs on 20 attempts (4.0 avg.).

I'm gonna bet the Packers play very angry in this game. The defense will actually make some significant stops for a change.

I'm gonna bet the Packers play very angry in this game. The defense will actually make some significant stops for a change.

They had BETTER play angry. Whether or not they DO is up for debate. The D will no doubt make significant stops - they've been doing that pretty well all year. The question is whether or not they'll miss on those stops at the end of both halves.

Last edited:
TN at home and has been playing some decent physical football recently. Maybe they haven't put it all together this season but neither has GB. No reason IMO to expect anything much from this group of paper tigers. TN wins 24-17.

This game will be a litmus test. Does the team come out hungry and strong looking to rebound from that embarrassing performance, or do they completely quit on McCarthy and staff? Simply put, a defining game.

I told my wife, a month ago, that Trump was going to beat Clinton in the election. I told her that the reasons were body language, and addressing certain issues that bother the vast majority of Americans who "will vote" in the election. I'm out on the same limb on this game, against the Titans. This is not a political statement, just a matter of what we need to look for, with players and coaching staff.

The Packers body language is horrible. You see it on the field, and the sideline. They just plain aren't having any fun. It's become a job, nothing more. The coaching staff has to be in a frenzy, even though they might not show it. They know that their futures depend on how they plan for each game. Failure against the Titans could put the team into a spiral that they can't recover from. This game plan is going to be stronger than we've seen for some time. It will also respect the need for change on the fly, and at half time.

I'm going to go with the Packers winning this one, simply because their backs are against the wall.

Packers 34
Titans 21

I don't have a handle on this team. Normally I'd say they would come out ticked off and take it out on the Titans, but I'm getting the feeling MM may be losing this team and that could mean we get some hangover from last week. TN has not been a pushover this year. I could see a close loss in an away game or a victory in a squeaker. I'm going to say 30-27 Packers on a late FG.

I too don't have a handle on this team. IF - and lately this is one big IF - they play like they are capable of they should leave Nashville victorious. But if they come out listless and flat yet again they will sputter and come home losers. I'm not going to get too up or down after the results of this game. I hope they win but I'm not going to get all upset if they don't.

Last edited:
I actually think I have a better handle than I thought I did. This team is playing tight. It has firb2 years now. Think part of it is that they see the window closing. This was a team that could turn the switch on and off at any time. It's now older with less talent. It also does not handle adversity well. They did not with Nelson last year. They did not this year after a loss. That is clearly imo a direct correlation to team leadership.

I don't think this team is as flat as it is tight. There should be a sense of urgency now. Is part of it coach leadership yes. But at the end of the day these are professional football players who need to step up indivually. And team leaders need to emerge

Back