Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

:
@TomSilverstein · 1m #Packers coach Matt LaFleur said he and the coaches are going through a self scout while the players have been off this weekend

Again, just like the past several years....he's got to get clicks to eat. I take everything on those shows with a grain of salt.

Now, the defense that EVERYONE is bitching about I did how many threads on the past 2 seasons? This isn't some huge revelation on the scheme. Berry runs what he runs and he's not going to change his philosophy overnight.

Today, right now they can't do crap. Why, Your best CB has a bad back, your #2 is out for another month maybe 2. Your #3 who is playing 1 is a slot corner. After that, it's 3rd string guys. Only a complete whack job or a clueless couch QB would suggest playing man-up cover with what's available. Your starting safety is Rudy Ford a ST guy...and your teams suck!!

But Mark, our run defense? So your backside D is down to fumes. You're going to adjust what? I mean you could try to run a 4-2-5 front but I doubt that helps much.

Let's see Mike Wahle take 80/20 ground beef and make filet-mignon out of it. Hint, he can't.

If you want a scapegoat start looking to the front office, bad deals, poor foresight, and iffy drafting put us here more than anything the staff did. To drive that home go read the hundreds of threads the last 3 years of MM here, same issues different staff. What's the same?

Front office.
This is all very logical but at the same time misses an important part of all this, which is the personal human element. I don't think the players believe in him. They don't have faith in him, I don't think they trust him to plan, teach, exploit. All those things that make a group greater than the sum of its parts, they're all missing. And at this point frankly I think it's cultural on D, they have seen the movie happen so many times that they seem to just fall into their roles - they almost expect to wear down and break. Failure to play 60 minutes is an identifying feature of that room - players come and go, but that stays the same. What is it if not coaching?

This is all very logical but at the same time misses an important part of all this, which is the personal human element. I don't think the players believe in him. They don't have faith in him, I don't think they trust him to plan, teach, exploit. All those things that make a group greater than the sum of its parts, they're all missing. And at this point frankly I think it's cultural on D, they have seen the movie happen so many times that they seem to just fall into their roles - they almost expect to wear down and break. Failure to play 60 minutes is an identifying feature of that room - players come and go, but that stays the same. What is it if not coaching?
It's the sum of many parts, coaching, personal,( failure of the offense to sustain drives), and in some cases bad luck. This issue stems across at least the last 3 HC ( actually more) Green Bay has never except for Fritz under Mike H really completely committed to stout defense in my opinion, it's kind of a systemic issue.

I heard this very thing under Capers...then Mike Pettine... then they hired Berry bh)

As for the "human" element, I get what you are saying but coaching isn't that simple. Even if they buy in they have to execute on all 3 levels. For example, I have run a 43-rotation on defense forever. All it takes though is one guy with his head up his backside to louse that up.

I guess my point is that it's scheme plus poor execution, plus not having enough horses in the barn. They have to stay at in terms of focus and not let the other stuff creep in.

I guess my point is that it's scheme plus poor execution, plus not having enough horses in the barn. They have to stay at in terms of focus and not let the other stuff creep in.
It also doesn't help that the horses they do have along the DL are all so damn young and inexperienced. TJ Slaton I think is a good example. I don't know what you think of him as a player but my observation is that at the beginning of games he packs wallop and is out there stuffing runs and throwing down the Gravedigger, and then by 3rd/4th Q he's standing upright getting his body turned without much resistance. And then there is Wyatt and Brooks and Wooden, all 1st/2nd year players. I just think back to the last time we had some really good DL guys, it took Ryan Pickett so long to develop that St Louis let him go. Johnny Jolly was drafted in 2006, but I don't think really came around until 2009.

Can someone whose brain works on Mondays translate what Barry said? He used words but they make no sense to me.

@TomSilverstein

#Packers DC Joe Barry said he went back and watched all 4 games and then re-watched all 42 runs from Lions game and said there is not one specific thing not working. "When you're in a type of game like that, you have to be able to to do something structurally and we can and will"

Back