Packers Free Agency: Letroy Guion agrees to 3-year deal, per report

Big question does this signing make the roster better, does it improve the overall quality of the DL? Not really.. It's more of a meh, good enough signing... IMO I don't see Guion as so good one of the younger guys or a draft pick or an UDFA pick up in such a deep DT class couldn't offer the same production. But TT/MM like to be "safe" and keep "their guys" as much as possible. Even if it means settling for what you have.

The signing will only really bother me if it is in fact TT's way of saying we can ignore DT in the draft. In a draft so stacked at DT I hope to heck TT is taking that position seriously.

I do hope you guys are right in your point that the contract doesn't have much guaranteed $$ to it. That would make it easier to accept for me.

It's fine to bring him back. It really doesn't seem like much money IMO overall and as others have noted, no leaks on guaranteed money means it's probably pretty team friendly. He outplayed Raji, he's country strong and he just has a fighter's mentality in the trenches, and you can't have enough of that.

The run D was still kinda crummy this year. It was better than last year but the front 7, for whatever statistical success they had, still felt like a smoke and mirrors game, and has really since 2010 - or dare I say 2009 when Pickett, Jolly and Jenkins were at their peak. I credit Capers for finding a way to make it happen (insofar as it has happened) but something has to change here right? Moves 1A and 1B for the defense have to be finding a 3-down DL and increasing speed at ILB, respectively. Guion coming back doesn't fix or help any of that, but it doesn't hurt.

Although I really have no opinion if signing Guion was a good or bad signing I have to wonder why he was the first FA to sign. Crosby and others seem a priority to me and doubt a lot of suitor's were after Letroy. Here is my thought. This was simply a slap in the face to the Milwaukee Journal who a year ago dug up some dirt on Guion prior to his deal down in Florida which led to a feud between the Packers and the MJ and appears to be on going. Maybe a conspiracy theory but one will never know.

I think TTs track record shows that he pays little and less attention to any reporters opinion. The Pack wouldn't be making the playoffs regularly if they were sensitive to newspapers. I believe Guion was signed because there might have been an offer to both Guion and BJ and whoever took it first. After the Florida stop last year Guion was probably pretty happy to get more than a one year deal. I think he was more consistent than Raji, so I think it was a reasonable signing for both sides. Still haven't seen the guaranteed monies yet. Pretty safe signing for the Pack. Will hopefully still add a young DT in the draft.

I do hope you guys are right in your point that the contract doesn't have much guaranteed $$ to it. That would make it easier to accept for me.
A nugget on Guion from Silverstein's cap piece:

"Guion's deal is expected to eat up as much as $2.2 million of cap space but, according to a source familiar with parts of it, is structured such that it could be shaved down to $500,000 if Guion has another off-season transgression before May and the team cuts him."

So essentially no full guarantees, and a 2.2M cap hit is pretty low on a 3-year, $11.25m deal. I wonder if the 1st year becomes guaranteed if he doesn't screw up before May. He'll really have to produce to see the bigger money years.

The Packers don't build their team to spite a local newspaper. Just imagine a Venn Diagram - one big circle is "Players the Packers Want," the other is "Players With No Leverage" and the shaded area in the middle is Letroy Guion. He got done first because he was the easiest player to sign that they also felt offered something to the team.

If you don't think TT and company don't pay attention to the local PR think again. GB is a small market team and there are not a lot of secrets. Guion signing is a little odd because again the amount of talented DT in this draft is unreal... TT could have drafted as good or better DT for a lot less which is what he would normally do... Just odd.

If you don't think TT and company don't pay attention to the local PR think again. GB is a small market team and there are not a lot of secrets. Guion signing is a little odd because again the amount of talented DT in this draft is unreal... TT could have drafted as good or better DT for a lot less which is what he would normally do... Just odd.
Of course the team pays attention to what's said. Usually the Packers seem to be able to maintain very good local media relations. No way they sign someone to one-up a newspaper.

Guion signing wasn't too weird for me. His past transgression kinda set his market, while others like Raji may want to take it closer to March 7th to see where their market point ends up. Guion wasn't gonna get guaranteed cash anywhere.

If Silverstein's source (probably agent) is right, it's actually a 1-year 2.2M deal, with team option for additional years. Even the first year the team has some security. That's no long-term commitment. GB can very well draft a DL early. But now they are not forced to get a run stuffer and goal line rock.

Didnt say they don't pay attention to it. We know they do because they sent someone to rough up Michael Cohen at a PC. I said they don't build their team to spite them. Its a major difference.

As for the connection to the draft, I don't see it at all. They stand to lose Raji, Boyd is coming off major injury, Jones is now a tweener - they still need another starter there. You have no idea about their draft plans or how the board will play out. Frustrating as it is we all need to wait and see. If camp ends in August and we have Daniels Guion and Pennell as starters then yeah, it will be weird.

Back