Packers new coaching staff: Reason for excitement or same old McCarthy?

M

Mark Eckel

By BOB McGINN

When a head coach has hired and then fired as many coaches as Mike McCarthy has in Green Bay, the talk of excitement in the air and a fresh new approach tends to fall on deaf ears.

On Wednesday morning, the team sent out a release headlined “Packers Finalize Coaching Staff.” Listed were 22 men averaging 43.8 years of age and 8.9 seasons of NFL coaching experience.

After 12 years McCarthy still was able to pull a new one, rehiring Scott McCurley to a lesser position three weeks after firing him.

If McCurley is counted among the jettisoned, he’s one of 16 coaches fired by McCarthy since January 2009.

That roll call includes:

2009: Rock Gullickson, strength coordinator; Carl Hairston, defensive ends; Ty Knott, offensive quality control; Robert Nunn, defensive tackles; Bob Sanders, defensive coordinator; Kurt Schottenheimer, secondary; Lionel Washington, cornerbacks.

2011: Curtis Fuller, coaching administrator (former assistant special teams).

2014: Chad Morton, assistant special teams.

2015: Shawn Slocum, special teams coordinator.

2016: Jerry Fontenot, tight ends; Sam Gash, running backs.

2018: Edgar Bennett, offensive coordinator; Dom Capers, defensive coordinator; Scott McCurley, assistant linebackers; Mike Trgovac, defensive line.

Mike Stock, McCarthy’s first special teams coordinator, was pressured to retire after the 2008 season.

Three coaches departed after their contracts expired. In each case, they might be considered firings because it’s unlikely any of the three would have left of their own volition.

That list includes John Rushing, a defensive quality control coach, in January 2016; Tom Clements, associate head coach/offense, in January 2017, and Alex Van Pelt, quarterbacks coach, in January.

Rushing coached safeties at Oregon State in 2017. Clements attempted to line up another coaching position in the NFL during the 2016 season but was unsuccessful. Van Pelt recently found work coaching quarterbacks in Cincinnati.

One source familiar with the Packers’ modus operandi said Van Pelt probably declined an extension last year so he’d be free to interview for a coordinator job; otherwise, McCarthy routinely has denied such overtures. Coaches, however, making that step do so running the risk of alienating McCarthy and/or losing their job.

Kevin Greene, the team’s outside linebackers coach from 2009-’13, insisted to me face-to-face two years ago that he wasn’t fired by McCarthy. Some sources, however, insist he was fired. In 2017, Greene was back coaching outside linebackers with the Jets.

It should be noted that Mike Holmgren, the Packers’ best head coach since Vince Lombardi, never fired an assistant coach in his seven seasons (1992-’98) in Green Bay.

Bennett turned down an offer to coach running backs for the Browns in order to coach wide receivers in Oakland, where Trgovac also landed as defensive line coach.

McCarthy has kept three of his original 20 coaches for his entire tenure. They’re James Campen, Mark Lovat and Winston Moss. Joe Philbin returned this month after a six-year hiatus. McCurley was a coaching intern in 2006 but not an official member of the staff.

Despite the fact that the Packers announced the staff as having been finalized, McCarthy suggested that Darren Perry, the safeties coach for the past nine seasons, remained in limbo. He reportedly is being considered in Tennessee by new coach Mike Vrabel.

“Actually, we had a big, full-staff meeting with our analytics group and Darren was in that today,” said McCarthy. “So we’ll have his status hopefully cleared up by the end of the week.”

Earlier, wide receivers coach Luke Getsy became offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach at Mississippi State. Tim McGarigle, the defensive quality control coach, returned to Northwestern and will coach safeties.

The current 22-man staff includes eight coordinators, one associate head coach and 13 plain old assistants.

On offense, McCarthy’s staff includes coordinator Joe Philbin (56 years old, 15 NFL seasons), run game coordinator/offensive line coach James Campen (53, 13), pass game coordinator Jim Hostler (51, 17), wide receivers coach David Raih (37, four), tight ends coach Brian Angelichio (45, six), quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti (52, eight), running backs coach Ben Sirmans (47, six) and assistant offensive line coach Jeff Blasko (34, two).

On defense, McCarthy’s staff includes coordinator Mike Pettine (51, 14), run game coordinator/inside linebackers coach Patrick Graham (39, nine), pass game coordinator Joe Whitt (39, 11), defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery (38, three), associate head coach/linebackers Winston Moss (52, 19), secondary coach Jason Simmons (41, seven), defensive assistant Scott McCurley (37, 12) and defense quality control coach Ryan Downard (29, two).

On special teams, McCarthy’s staff includes coordinator Ron Zook (63, 10) and assistant Maurice Drayton (41, two).

For his strength staff, McCarthy has coordinator Mark Lovat (48, 19) and assistants Chris Gizzi (42, four), Thadeus Jackson (37, eight) and Grant Thorne (32, five).

Nine of the 22 coaches have the same title in Green Bay this year: Angelichio, Sirmans and Blasko on offense; Moss on defense; Zook on special teams, and the entire strength staff.

In some ways Campen and Whitt have similar duties with coordinator added to their title. Raih, McCurley and Simmons were reassigned.

Perhaps the strangest case of all was Montgomery, who departed Jan. 8 after three seasons as defensive front assistant to become associate head coach/defensive line coach at Texas A&M under new coach Jimbo Fisher. He already was out recruiting for the Aggies when McCarthy called and rehired him.

“It’s been a little hectic,” Montgomery said Wednesday during an interview session for McCarthy and 11 assistants. “At the end of the day I had a great opportunity to go to a great program with a great coaching staff.

“I think A&M and Coach Fisher are going to do really well there. But the best opportunity for me and my family was here in Green Bay. I’m going to leave it at that.”

Montgomery helped coach the defensive line under Trgovac, an assistant under McCarthy for nine seasons, and assisted Capers with various tasks.

“We’re cut from the same cloth,” Montgomery said in reference to the 58-year-old Trgovac. “Very similar. I’m a high-energy guy. He’s a great coach, and I would hope he’d say the same about me.”

In 2015, Montgomery was less than a month into his new position at Oklahoma as co-defensive coordinator under coach Bob Stoops when he bolted to join the Packers.

Much has been and will be written about Philbin and Pettine. Here’s a look at the five other coaches that are new to Green Bay.

Frank Cignetti: Served as a graduate assistant with McCarthy on coach Mike Gottfried’s staff at Pittsburgh in 1989 … When McCarthy remained as Pitt’s quarterbacks coach in ’90, Cignetti went on to Division II Indiana (Pa.) as an assistant from 1990-’98 … His father, Frank Sr., was the coach there from 1986-’05, compiling a 199-77-1 record and earning a berth in the College Football Hall of Fame … Later, Cignetti was QB coach for the Saints under Jim Haslett from 2000-’01 when McCarthy was coordinator … “I’m a coach’s son,” said Cignetti. “Love football. Love to teach.” … Cignetti’s 10 NFL seasons includes one at QB coach for the 49ers in ’07 under Mike Nolan, three as QB coach and one as coordinator for the Rams under Jeff Fisher from 2012-’15 and two as QB coach for the Giants under Ben McAdoo in 2016-’17 … In his one season as coordinator (’15) the Rams ranked 32nd in yards and 29th in points … He also served as coordinator at Fresno State under Pat Hill from 2002-’05, at North Carolina under John Bunting in ’06, at California under Jeff Tedford in ’08, at Pitt under Dave Wannstedt from 2009-’10 and at Rutgers under Greg Schiano in ’11 … In 10 NFL seasons his teams have posted a winning record three times and made the playoffs twice.

Ryan Downard: Spent the last two seasons at Bowling Green, serving as director of football operations in 2016 and coaching safeties under coach Mike Jinks in ’17 … Last season, the Falcons ranked 125th of 129 BCS teams in yards allowed (506.6) and 122nd in points allowed (38.0) … Played defensive back at Eastern Michigan before serving as a graduate assistant at Texas Tech and Toledo … Joined Mike Pettine in Cleveland as defensive coaching assistant, assisting with the defensive line in 2014 and the secondary in ’15, but wasn’t an official member of the coaching staff … “Outstanding young coach who I’m thrilled to have in here,” Pettine said. “That really saves us from that initial teaching part.”

Maurice Drayton: Spent the last two seasons as the top assistant to special teams coordinator Tom McMahon in Indianapolis … The Colts finished eighth in 2016 and ninth in ’17 in Rick Gosselin’s annual rankings … “I got my start in special teams,” Drayton said. “I fell in love with special teams. I’m excited to be in this city, to be on this hallowed ground.” … After playing cornerback at The Citadel from 1994-’98, he coached various positions there from 1999-’05 and again from 2014-’15 … Also made collegiate stops at South Carolina State, Coastal Carolina and Southern Mississippi under Ellis Johnson, his former coach at The Citadel … Has also coached in the Arena League, in Finland, in high school and for the CFL Montreal Alouettes as a “guest coach” in 2013 … “You have to keep it simple, first of all,” said Drayton. “Technique and fundamentals will bring you through in special teams.” … In 2009, he served a Bill Walsh Minority Coaching Fellowship in Green Bay.

Patrick Graham: Had what he called a “terrible” career as a backup defensive lineman at Yale, where he graduated in economics as a Yale Merit Scholar … Assisted for two years at Wagner and three at Richmond before taking a graduate assistant post at Notre Dame under Charlie Weis from 2007-’08 … Next came seven seasons under Bill Belichick at New England, where he was a coaching assistant in 2009, defensive assistant in ’10, LB coach in ‘11 and 2014-’15 and DL coach from 2012-’13 … “Whatever I thought I knew when I got hired, it’s probably quadrupled in the last three years,” Graham told me at the 46th Super Bowl. “Our place is the best environment.” … The Patriots won the AFC East title seven times in his seven years and the 49th Super Bowl … “Everybody has to get better,” Graham said Wednesday. “Any player in the NFL that gets complacent is usually out the door … No matter how many people say it’s a space game, you have to get off blocks. No matter how much they do the read option and RPO’s, the middle of the field is where they’re trying to attack. You’ve got to defend the field inside-out. The key to me is getting their eyes in the right place. Reading your keys is obviously important … in 2018 and 1905.”

Jim Hostler: Career wide receivers coach spent 2017 coaching tight ends in Indianapolis under Chuck Pagano … Has coached 18 seasons in the NFL for seven teams … Served as offensive assistant/quality control coach for the Saints in 2001-’02 under Haslett when McCarthy was the coordinator … Coached QBs for the Jets under Herm Edwards in 2003-’04 before spending 2005-’07 with the 49ers under Mike Nolan, including ’05 as QB coach when McCarthy was coordinator … Promoted to coordinator in ’07 when the 49ers finished 32nd in yards and points … Hostler was looking for work in January 2008 but the only WR job open was in Baltimore and he had never met new coach John Harbaugh. McCarthy had become friends with basketball coach Tom Crean, who is married to John’s sister, Joani. When McCarthy called on Hostler’s behalf, he got an interview. “Mike McCarthy got me in front of John Harbaugh,” Hostler told me at the 47th Super Bowl. “That’s how I got the job.” … Hostler coached WRs for six seasons in Baltimore, making the playoffs five times and earning a Super Bowl ring … “I’ve coached all the perimeter positions so I can help tie some of the things together,” Hostler said … He coached alongside Joe Philbin the past two seasons … “Joe and I think alike,” said Hostler. “We mesh personality-wise. We’re quiet kind of guys. It was a huge factor for me coming here. Helping Joe and Mike out.”

The post Packers new coaching staff: Reason for excitement or same old McCarthy? appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

interesting article. flies in the face of what so many have said in the past: "mccarthy is too loyal to his coaches". looks like he has fired more than his fair share to me. although i'm sure that wasn't bob's agenda when he wrote the article.

I'm cautiously optimistic about what Pettine/Philbin will bring to the table, but the roster holes - especially on D - are what they are. Gutey has a LOT of work to do.

Pettine has already met with CM3 (and no doubt watched his film of 2017), and sees CM3 as a versatile game piece to be moved around on the board. He thinks CM3 could be a very important piece of the 2018 defense.

Yeah, sounds like Matthews may not be a cap casualty after all.
Maybe not a cap casualty, but I would like to them re-work his deal and gain some cap space. They need to add more than a few new faces that were actually good enough to get drafted in the first place!

I Am very skeptical at this point. Forget Bob .. forget all the other BS. If you really dig into this staff there are a few red flags with some guys. I won't get into specifics because it always leads to a peeing match.

Put me down as taking the Missouri approach.... this staff has to show me. tc(

I was glad to see McNugget fired strength and conditioning coaches in the past. Otherwise, we might not have had such amazing success in the injury Dept the last couple years...Shocked(

For crying out loud, McCarthy. If you're going to get rid of people, hire in newer and better people in order to have a measure of success, eh?! sh))

Cignetti is my least favorite hire, by far. He seems to have bounced around a lot which is a flag in itself, and then you see the programs he's associated with - Nolan, Fisher, Wannstedt. All middling, mediocre programs. Has a Greg Schiano association, Schiano is a worldclass a-hole.

Hostler seems to be the butt of some jokes but he's a long term WR coach, which I'm OK with. Philbin clearly got him this job, probably wanted to get out of Indy with the turnover there and all the drama with Irsay/Luck. So sure some connections but I'm openminded.

Honestly I kinda like the other hires on D, I'm skeptical this can be fixed in a year though.

Thing is it dpesnt have to be fixed in a yr per say. It just had to be better. A top 15 d is stides better then the poo we had out there.

If these coaches and getbtye most out of our current guys and add a few new pieces its a step in the right direction. Will it work... Who knows but if we made the playoffs we would be stuck with the same ol same so im pumped about this staff.

For what its worth the s@c group has basically been the same for 20 yrs. Mac fired the top guy and promoted lovat who is going on 19 yrs.

The packers are 10 yrs behind the league and modern training. This needs to change. If we are holding ppl accountable this group should at the top of the list

Back