Packers release Don Barclay, bring back Max McCaffrey

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have decided to part ways with veteran Don Barclay.

home

Continue reading...

I never did understand Barclay being on board from the start. He never showed me enough to allow him to take up as much salary cap as he has, for never being active.

Barclay in 2013 was incredibly valuable. After his injury in 2014 he wasn't the same but his value was high because he could play any position on the line. He played 16 games in three years and 14 in one of the 4 years he played. He spent 1 full and all of this season on IR. His salary wasn't that bad to keep him around as a safety valve if some of the other guys didn't pan out. It appears that they new guys are doing OK which made cutting him loose an easy decision.
Over 5+ years it looks like he received a little over 4 million in earnings. Not a very big cap hit compared to some of the busts we've had in the past.

Agreed eye, Barclay was once a pretty solid lineman. Unfortunately, after his injury he turned into the human turnstile and became the Jarrett Bush of the offensive line.

Barclay was a potentially solid lineman in the beginning. It was those injuries that stole it all from him. Each one saps a little more away from a guy, and in the end, it's just too many injuries, and not enough time being able to becoming better, and on the field.

I feel bad about him leaving, but a guy has to be pretty good to invest cap space in a guy who can't be counted on to at least take the field as a back-up.

Barclay made himself indispensable by playing so many positions and by the Packers not keeping themselves covered at OL. At the start of camp he was the only guy who you could really say was the back-up OC/OG. Now that they've had a chance to work some of the newer guys in and get them more ready, he became a guy they could part with. (I still hope Linsley can start and finish all the rest of the games, because I'm a little worried how these guys would actually look in a game, especially once the weather turns uglier.)

Glad Max is back as well. Davis and Janis are contributing nothing on offense. Either one or both might be gone next off-season so there might be room for a guy like McCaffrey.

Before the year is over, McCaffery is going to be on the 53 man roster. I think he has the potential to be a solid receiver in this league. Over the course of his camps, he's always been one of the top guys in percentage of catches vs targets.

Back