Packers resign Mason Crosby to 4 year deal

Good signing.. The K pool is about as bad as the QB pool... When you have a solid K you keep him, even if he's a little more $$ than other K...

Good signing.. The K pool is about as bad as the QB pool... When you have a solid K you keep him, even if he's a little more $$ than other K...
This makes sense.
A friend of mine doesn't like Mason Crosby and has been voicing his displeasure regarding him for years now. I feel like telling him your point here which is what were the Packers' options? Who was out there who could have replaced a kicker with experience like Mason. Sure Ted could have drafted a rookie but he would have been completely unproven. At least we have a veteran who has proven he can kick outdoors at Lambeau.

Doubt that happens they don't have cap space for guys like that if ted signs anyone thats not his my guess its a low budget guy as he will spend his cash bringing his own back plus Forte is wrong side of 30 don't want to invest in a RB who's best years are behind him.
And yet there are teams out there that sign players every year and figure out a way to make it work. I just don't understand why Green Bay just can't find a way to get it done. Ah well...

And yet there are teams out there that sign players every year and figure out a way to make it work. I just don't understand why Green Bay just can't find a way to get it done. Ah well...

Because TT and the Packers are a very consertive team and don't want to push money to the future aka Rob Peter to pay Paul.

TT has extended Daniels, who would've been among tippy top of DL UFAs, re-upped Guion with a veeery safe deal, and now re-signed the best UFA kicker on the market.

TT may actually know what he's doing.

I'm generally a TT supporter but do think that at times he hamstrings himself and the team by not using FA more, in a calculated, judicious fashion. I have no problem with adopting a sane financial policy to avoid dumping salaries and talent.

We don't have a mountain of CAP room like some teams this year, but we do have enough to go after one FA in an attempt to shore up a weak spot. I would say TE and ILB would be reasonable options. I don't think you need to do both, but it would sure make sense in terms of the overall plan to add one or the other. Also, to be clear, I don't think he needs to look at first day, 8-figure/yr type guys. Find a more modest signing later, that fits within the CAP.

There is an old NFL saying to the effect that you use FA to fill needs so you can draft BPA. If you are a BPA type drafter, as TT describes himself, then it would seem to make sense to enter the draft with as few weak spots as possible. TT himself acknowledges that at times need factors into the equation at draft time. His pattern of drafting seems to show it - needs nearly always seem to get filled in the early rounds.

You could certainly be more free come the draft if you didn't have to worry about TE, ILB and OT. If you took one of those needs off the board it allows you to simply add one more talent with little regard for position. I'd love to see us add another talented DL in the first 3-4 rounds in a deep draft. I'd also like to see us add a CB/DB in what appears to be a pretty solid bunch with some speed. You may not be able to do that if you have holes that need to be plugged. I suppose you can ignore the holes and stand pat, but that doesn't seem like the best practice when you have options to be better but don't use them.

Wolfman, I'm not picking on your posts I just find them quite thought provoking!

Every year there is only one team that makes it work, the Super Bowl Champs. Very seldom do they make it work more than once, then they start over. Of all the FA signings last year, only Denver made it work. I would bet money they won't be back. Just a little different perspective. I would be startled but happy if TT changed his MO this year and signed just one significant FA who he thought could provide enough difference to out weigh the loss of his precious comp picks. My pick of FAs out there right now? Super Mario, and he won't even cost you a pick!

Back