pff breaks down packers' scramble drill.

realitybytes

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
pff: WHY AARON RODGERS AND THE PACKERS ARE THE BEST AT EXECUTING THE SCRAMBLE DRILL

Senior Analyst Mike Renner returns with his “Teaching Tape” series, a weekly feature in which he explains how and why the best in the NFL are successful at what they do. Renner’s second Teaching Tape article of the 2017 offseason dives into the scramble drill often utilized by quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers’ offense.

Over the years, we’ve seen quarterbacks in the NFL that are faster. We’ve seen quarterbacks in the NFL that are more elusive. What we have never seen, though, is a quarterback give opposing defensive coordinators more headaches outside the pocket than one Aaron Rodgers.

This should come as no surprise. Rodgers’ game has evolved over the years into a one-man offensive machine, and his ability outside the pocket is unquestionably the most feared around in the league. When it comes to making plays outside the framework of an offense, it’s like the Packers’ quarterback is playing a different game than everyone else. Below are some of Rodgers’ passing statistics on scrambles — all of which he leads the league in — along with the next-closest quarterback’s marks.

you'll have to follow the link to read the article, because i can't copy all the illustrations here.

i promise, it's a good read.

Definitely a good read. I wonder how many more years and can be a viable part of his repertoire?

I have a bad feeling that we have wasted the opportunity we have with him as our QB.

Since my following of the game goes back beyond a lot of fans, I can recount how many problems Fran Tarkenton was for NFL defenses. He wasn't a great passer by any means, but his use of scrambles gave his team time to find open spots on the field, where he could hit them with passes.

Rodgers and Tark aren't even close to being the same level. Rodgers is much better. Yet, Tark is in the HOF because of his ability to scramble. It works, and teams that use it as an offensive weapon are usually pretty productive with it. When used sparingly, not-so-much.

Back