The Battle of the Wideouts

oakleaf

Reaction score
One thing apparent from yesterday's game was that the battle for a WR position has begun! Nine receivers battling for WR positions 4, 5 and 6 (and maybe a seventh)! Six (maybe seven) with a legitimate shot! None of them is a lock, none of them can we say with certainty won't make it, and there is no large talent gap between any two of them.

All seven caught a pass last night with the exception of Davis, who ran a punt return back, and another for 26 yards. McCaffrey and Clark, like Crockett and Pearson, were outsiders before last night.

MM may go with seven on the initial 53-man roster, like he did last year. Here's my current positioning with seven battling WRs highlighted.

[xtable=skin1|655x186]
{tbody}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}1.{/td}
{td=227x24}Jordy Nelson{/td}
{td=10x24}<>{/td}
{td=739x24}Lock, unless injured{/td}
{td=65x24}95%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}2.{/td}
{td=227x24}Davante Adams{/td}
{td=10x24}<>{/td}
{td=739x24} Lock, unless injured{/td}
{td=65x24}95%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}3.{/td}
{td=227x24}Randall Cobb{/td}
{td=10x24}<>{/td}
{td=739x24}Lock, unless traded or injured - does have to prove he belongs at #2 or even 3 this year{/td}
{td=65x24}93%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}4.{/td}
{td=227x24}Trevor Davis{/td}
{td=10x24}^{/td}
{td=739x24}Punt returns start him off high!{/td}
{td=65x24}85{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}5.{/td}
{td=227x24}DeAngelo Yancey{/td}
{td=10x24}<>{/td}
{td=739x24} Three catches, most yards of the night.{/td}
{td=65x24}80{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}6.{/td}
{td=227x24}Jeff Janis{/td}
{td=10x24}<>{/td}
{td=739x24}Big drop, nice TD route, gunner tackle, needs to show more{/td}
{td=65x24}66{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}7.{/td}
{td=227x24}Malachi Dupre{/td}
{td=10x24}<>{/td}
{td=739x24}Hope he's okay{/td}
{td=65x24}55{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}8.{/td}
{td=227x24}Max McCaffrey{/td}
{td=10x24}^{/td}
{td=739x24}Just on outside looking in, big game{/td}
{td=65x24}30{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}9.{/td}
{td=227x24}Michael Clark{/td}
{td=10x24}^{/td}
{td=739x24}Raw, nice catches, outside shot, loved by Aaron...{/td}
{td=65x24}24{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}10.{/td}
{td=227x24}Geronimo Allison{/td}
{td=10x24}v{/td}
{td=739x24}Suspended Game 1, might have hit potential?{/td}
{td=65x24}24{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}11.{/td}
{td=227x24}Monte Crockett{/td}
{td=10x24}<>{/td}
{td=739x24}Got in on the action last night!{/td}
{td=65x24}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x24}
{td=29x24}12.{/td}
{td=227x24}Colby Pearson{/td}
{td=10x24}<>{/td}
{td=739x24}Good cheesehead name{/td}
{td=65x24}1{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Last edited:
i would still have janis above yancey, and probably just barely above davis. i know davis had the two nice punt returns, but he was virtually the only receiver/tight end who did not have a catch.

I think you're right on point. It can change in one game, but no doubt, Davis has nearly iced a spot on the roster simply because of his punt returns. So there's a good chance we end up with 7.

I remember hearing comments from Cobb, saying the Packers intend getting him 15-18 touches per game. It may sound like that means he's a lock, but it could also mean he's a candidate for a trade. His salary is about $8.5 mill, and no signing bonus. That means another team gets him with no burden left on the Packers. For someone in need of a guy with his skills, he'd be at a good price, and has two years left on his existing contract at $8.5 mill. In today's market, a guy with his skills would be a good deal for a lot of teams who need help.

For the Packers, it wouldn't be a major loss, because Cobb's results aren't strong enough to make him a #1 receiver. He's a #2, and always will be, in the Packer system. Not big enough, nor strong enough, to move up.

I believe Janis could fill the #3 job until one of the younger guys can step up, and take it away from him. It would also give us more size at WR, which is important in the Packer offense. There's a lot of "muscle routes" that aren't being used, because Cobb doesn't have the strength to handle them. Those are the routes that Nelson handled early on, in his career. You need to have the strength to out-muscle some pretty big guys.

I see so much more in Yancey and McCaffery than I do in Janis, and even Cobb, long term. I think they could be a good fit, and become two of the better receivers in the league. They bring toughness to the table.

Imagine working down that list, and being lucky enough to stash Michael Clark on the practice squad. He could be the next R.C. Owens at the goal line!

i agree that cobb is expendable and could possibly bring us something worthwhile in return if the other team is desperate. i thought it was a mistake to pay him that much, and he hasn't ever lived up to his fat contract, so it might be difficult to unload him.

If nothing else, a draft pick, and saving $8 mill on that contract would help to extend a couple of guys the Packers need to get into the fold on extension as soon as possible.

i would still have janis above yancey, and probably just barely above davis. i know davis had the two nice punt returns, but he was virtually the only receiver/tight end who did not have a catch.
I did not rank by skill, but by probability of making the 53-man roster, which I added.

Last edited:
I think, like anything, injuries will help sort this. Dupree you know they're going to be careful with so maybe he's out. Have to see what else happens.

Whatever you do, keep an eye on the ST snaps and don't underestimate them. We saw Davis' role, but otherwise Janis and Allison played a lot on teams too.

I think, like anything, injuries will help sort this. Dupree you know they're going to be careful with so maybe he's out. Have to see what else happens.

Whatever you do, keep an eye on the ST snaps and don't underestimate them. We saw Davis' role, but otherwise Janis and Allison played a lot on teams too.
I agree. The main reason I have Allison low is he was initially cut last year, won't affect cap, probably not much more upside and mainly because I believe he isn't required to be on initial roster because of suspension... otherwise I'd place him above McCaffrey and Clark at this point.

Good summary "oak" and good discussion.

The top-3 seem like a done deal. A Cobb trade would be fine with me, but I suspect it won't happen. Today's activity aside it just doesn't seem like many deals get done anymore once you get to camp, especially for guys making Cobb type money.

I think they keep at least 6 and Davis and Yancey seem like good bets right now. Janis and Allison are likely battling for the 6th spot. Allison probably provides a more dependable option in the passing game, Janis is an important ST guy. If they keep 7, I think both of them make it.

Clark seems like a certain bet for the PS . . . unless he looks really good those last 3 pre-season games in which case some team might be willing to put him on their roster. His physical ability just makes him intriguing. Since I don't think they will keep 3 WRs on the PS, it seems like Dupre and McCaffrey are probably battling for the 2nd PS spot for a WR. Crockett and Pearson are guys you cut but keep their phone numbers handy as possible PS guys later in the year.

Of course injuries could change things quite a bit. So could guy's performances in the remaining pre-season games.

I just read that McCaffery is 6'2 with a 4.36 and apparently some route running savvy. That's nothing to sneeze at, he could make a push. Be curious to see if he gets an increased ST workload.

Back