Training Camp Day 9 Summary

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Mike McCarthy: "I really like our safety group just from a personnel, talent standpoint. But the communication in that group has really improved."

McCarthy says he wants to get through today's practice before making decisions about how many reps certain players will get in Thursday's exhibition opener.

GM Brian Gutekunst said he plans to watch the first exhibition game from the sideline. "The young players we have, I'd like to see how they interact with our coaches in the stress of the moment."

Gutekunst says the #Packers were aware of Jake Kumerow starting a couple years ago when he came out of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Then they brought him in for a workout partway through last season. Then they signed him to the p-squad later in the year.

DNP for the #Packers: Trevor Davis (hamstring) Randall Cobb (ankle) Kevin King (shoulder) Jaire Alexander (groin) Devante Mays (hamstring) Aaron Jones (hamstring) Joe Kerridge (shoulder) David Bakhtiari (ankle) Mike Daniels (quad) Jimmy Graham (knee) Muhammad Wilkerson (groin)

Nugget to keep in mind: WR Jake Kumerow DOES have practice squad eligibility remaining. Something GM Brian Gutekunst will need to weigh as cut day approaches

Kentrell Brice is back with the starters during team work. With Cobb out again, Yancey is running with the 1s in the slot

Equanimeous St. Brown is starting to flash. He’s catching everything and really using his length around the sideline. Rodgers seems more willing to throw to him.

CB Davon House jumps a Rodgers pass in the flat and grabs what would have been a 98-yard TD.

Another excellent play from #Packers WR Jake Kumerow, leaping over Quinten Rollins to catch a high pass in back of end zone during red-zone one-on-ones. All he’s done is impress.

Rodgers-led 2-minute drill ends at the 12-yard line. Threw incomplete four consecutive times to end it.

Rookie CB Josh Jackson got three reps against Davante Adams in 1-on-1s. Did a pretty good job. Only one completed. Adams had a slight edge on a deep ball but it was overthrown.

End of Practice 2 hours, 32 minutes

Agreed. Rollins should be done. Give Pipkins a chance.
St Brown is starting to look better than Jmon Moore from what I here.
Now stop the dang injuries!

Thanks!

Nice to hear that Josh Jackson and Josh Jones are both starting to hold up in coverage. They like Rollins, because of his versatility. A guy that can do multiple things can conserve roster spots.

DkBl78aX0AE0m9c.jpg

Someone blew a blocking assignment on the last play of practice. Play was whistled dead to save Rodgers spine and AR threw the ball at the ground. Pissed off.
Thats why they call it practice. No issues with him calling out rookies if they’re not putting the work in though.
Kumerow on the 53 looks a little more likely every day. Not because the other kids are screwing up. Sounds like he’s earning a spot on his own.

Sometimes it's hard to believe these guys actually went to college, considering how dense they are about the subject they should know best. In the card session, a player who "gets it" can close his eyes and see every player's set on the field, and know exactly what their assignments are. They all relate to his, and they need to know their specific assignments on every play. That's when the game comes together for you.

Rodgers comments were regarding the scout team session right? It sounded to me like he’s not only frustrated by some guys not knowing the offense as well as they should, but also because maybe their poor effort showed a lack of understanding of the importance of scout team reps. Aaron knows he earned his chance because of what he did on the regular season scout team. even though it means you’re not starting, your effort during those reps makes a difference to the team - it’s still competition. You can’t slack off or sulk.

Calling out his teamates? He's a locker room cancer. This is unacceptable. We should trade him to Cleveland...

Calling out his teamates? He's a locker room cancer. This is unacceptable. We should trade him to Cleveland...

On the contrary, I wish there was a player on D with Rodgers' credibility who could've called out Randall and maybe gotten through to him. Maybe it would've prevented the team from trading him.

On the contrary, I wish there was a player on D with Rodgers' credibility who could've called out Randall and maybe gotten through to him. Maybe it would've prevented the team from trading him.
Randall put his money where his mouth was and outplayed everyone else in the secondary from that point forward. I wish we had more guys like Randall. Our D is much to complacent.

That's what Randall was asking for. Accountability. But we all know what happens when someone questions the so called team leaders. But in GB only the guys with big paychecks get to speak out.

Back