What to do with 12 picks?

dannobanano

Reaction score
I keep hearing a buzz from other people (other places) that GB should trade down from #14 because the early run on QB's will push good talent down the list and other teams will want to move up into the #14 spot to get at that talent.

Is that logical? nuts((

Given all the years that GB picks in the bottom 1/3 - 1/4 of the 1st round, and now there is a chance they can actually draft a blue chip player this year, and people are suggesting trading back? For what? More picks?

THEY ALREADY HAVE 12 PICKS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

IMO.......................I could see Gute packaging the 4th round comp pick and a mix of 5th-6th-7th picks (and/or maybe a player...........Cobb anyone?) to try and sneak back up into the back end of the 3rd round.

Not sure if it's doable or not, but I'd like to see him, at least, try. FCC(

I'm not saying I favor a trade down, but I'm OK with it if it makes sense. It also wouldn't be to necessarily get more picks. If, for example, the draft falls badly and all the Edge and Secondary guys worthy of pick #14 are gone, then trading down somewhat would make sense. Why just use the #14 pick on a guy you don't think is actually a "blue chip" player. This is of course subjective so people may not agree on exactly who is a blue chipper and who isn't at that point.

Now, at the same time you do that, what I'd like to see if they do trade down later into the first round is an aggressive move to bundle the picks you just got from the trade down to move back up into the bottom of the first or top of the second to add another quality pick. A trade down could get you move ammo to package picks and move up for quality. There are still high quality guys lower in round 1 and top of round 2.

Here is a scenario I'd do in a heartbeat. Again, these assume my favorite defensive guys are off the board at 14.

San Diego needs OL help and McGlinchey is still available. They know Baltimore is also looking for an OT and might grab him. The Chargers want to move up to #14 to grab him before the Ravens can. They offer their 3rd round pick along with #17 to move up. I'd make the deal. I'd then maybe draft Jaire Alexander, the CB at #17. Take the 3rd you just got and bundle it with our own 3rd plus the 4th round comp pick and trade it to the Giants who are a little short on picks for their pick #34, where you take an EDGE guy like Landry. Then use your own pick in Rd 2 for a WR like Courtland Sutton. Getting Alexander, Landry and Sutton would be a good first 2 rounds with quality picks that would help this team right away. You now have one less pick because of the trade-down but still got 3 quality players.

Again, I'm not favoring a trade-down but you don't rule it out if it makes sense based on what's left on the board. Why take a guy you don't really like that much at #14, just because. What I'm not in favor of is trading way down, or out of Rd 1 unless you can really kinda get something extra from a team. Say the Eagles want to get some OL help to make another run next year and they want #14 for an OT. Yup, I'll do the deal, but it'll cost you #32 and #130 this year and your 1st and 3rd next year. Now you have ammo to move up in the next 2 drafts.

I have been saying for a while. Packers need to get some quality players over quantity players. I would be willing to package picks move up and get better players if that means we end up with 7-8 picks so be it.

There is no position on this team outside of QB that could not use an infusion of talent from round 1. Under 57s scenario I would consider that because you are only moving back a couple. But it would be dumb to move back much more than that unless the trade is just ridiculous (like a first rounder next year)..

This draft will be for Gute what the 2006 draft was for TT - a chance to really remake the roster your own. The roster could use an influx of talent and competition at every spot. Period. Stop filling out the roster with UDFAs, get some higher end guys in there and it raises the quality of the team overall.

This is what you do with all those draft picks. I actually accepted a trade down with NE. I ended up with 14 picks, but 7 of them are in the first 4rounds. I expect those 7 to contribute this next year. The last 7 are probably on the bench, but they are better than the UDFAs that populate the bottom of the roster now. Competition: two each of OLB, TE, WR, CB, OL and Safety. One RB and Ramesh for my special teams demon.

Your score is: 23789 (GRADE: A+)
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 23 (N.E.): James, Derwin, SS/FS, Florida State (A)
Round 2 Pick 11 (N.E.): Hughes, Mike, CB, Central Florida (A+)
Round 2 Pick 17 (IND): Price, Billy, C/OG, Ohio State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 12: Okoronkwo, Ogbonnia, DE/OLB, Oklahoma (A)
Round 3 Pick 24 (CAR): Thomas, Ian, TE, Indiana (A)
Round 4 Pick 1: Bates III, Jessie, FS, Wake Forest (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33: Hamilton, DaeSean, WR, Penn State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1: Hill, Holton, CB, Texas (A)
Round 5 Pick 35: Ballage, Kalen, RB, Arizona State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 37: Crabtree, Zachary, OT, Oklahoma State (A)
Round 6 Pick 12: Conklin, Tyler, TE, Central Michigan (A+)
Round 6 Pick 33: Tate, Auden, WR, Florida State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 14: Ramesh, Austin, FB, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 7 Pick 21: ODaniel, Dorian, OLB, Clemson (A+)

Back