Where They Stand: Inside Linebackers

For me getting another solid ILB that can cover and run is priority #1. It's been a liability for 3 years and they just keep putting off and each year it bites us in @$$.

For me getting another solid ILB that can cover and run is priority #1. It's been a liability for 3 years and they just keep putting off and each year it bites us in @$$.

Agree, and the thought that Jake Ryan is any kind of a long term solution is funny. You watch teams like Arizona and Denver with the speed at ILB or Carolina with Luke Kuechly and imagine how good GB could be.

Agree, and the thought that Jake Ryan is any kind of a long term solution is funny. You watch teams like Arizona and Denver with the speed at ILB or Carolina with Luke Kuechly and imagine how good GB could be.
I don't think anyone is claiming Ryan will become a Pro Bowl talent, but it's not outlandish to think he can become an OK player at one ILB spot. He was a 4th round rookie, so I expected nothing last season. He showed he needs development, but was far from hopeless. It's probably a battle between him and Barrington for one spot, maybe with a pick.

And everyone agrees we need AT LEAST one speedier ILB there. The true 3-down guys are unfortunately few and far between, especially ones ready to play such year one outta college. ILB isn't really a priority position for most colleges, and you may have to convert OLBs these days.

Speed is important, but not alpha and omega of ILB play. I'm not willing to go with two 230-pounder tweeners to achieve speed and coverage. You must be able to play the run in nickel these days. If you're obviously weak against the run, opponents WILL exploit it.

I'm not usually big UFA promoter, but we may have to go there to get a 3-down guy for the short term.

So many people are clamoring for Ragland in the 1st. Not that I don't think he would fit the bill but as I posted in a different thread, Ryan had better combine results in every category than Ragland.

Ryan: 4.65 - 40, 120" - broad jump, 4.2 sec. - 20yd shuttle, 34.5" - vertical
Ragland: 4.72 - 40, 116" - broad jump, 4.28 sec. - 20yd shuttle, 31.5" - vertical

Kuechly's numbers are better than both. 4.58 - 40, 123" - broad jump, 4.12 sec. - 20yd shuttle, 38" - vertical
Not many guys out there like Kuechly.

Back