Why UW-Madison's chancellor is uneasy about potential for paying college athletes

If I recall correctly, football coaches at the University of Wisconsin were paid at the same level as Professors years ago. I'm not certain when that changed, but in this day and age, trying to do that would be akin to committing football suicide. You'd be lucky to get a guy who knows how to properly inflate a football.

If I recall correctly, football coaches at the University of Wisconsin were paid at the same level as Professors years ago. I'm not certain when that changed, but in this day and age, trying to do that would be akin to committing football suicide. You'd be lucky to get a guy who knows how to properly inflate a football.
I think it would be hard to get those guys from the Patriots

NIL has changed face of game. Kids no longer go to college to get a education or go to school that might get them best shot a pros. Now it's who's offering the biggest paycheck. Now with possible allowing kids to enter the transfer portal every year and not sit out these kids will be hitting the portal every year as it's FA and let the highest bidder get them.

NIL has changed face of game. Kids no longer go to college to get a education or go to school that might get them best shot a pros. Now it's who's offering the biggest paycheck. Now with possible allowing kids to enter the transfer portal every year and not sit out these kids will be hitting the portal every year as it's FA and let the highest bidder get them.
Yup

It's even happening in Women's Volleyball

It's becoming what I knew it would from the start. There are no guardrails on the system. There never will be. The time will come where the system will eat itself up, and the money broadcasting games is going to disappear from most conferences. If the product stinks, nobody wants to watch them play.

Every competitive sport will see this destroy the competition. Schools will be deciding which programs offer them the best ROI on their product, and the NIL money will follow as much as it can, based on support from those footing the bill.

Even schools that have never been offering high level competition are joining the fray. UTRGV, down here in South Texas, is going DI in football starting in 2025. They're already bringing in recruits for 2024, when they will be playing an "exhibition season," before being officially inducted into the mess. They're going into the WAC, and from what I gather, have some fairly decent NIL figures available for kids in football, basketball, and baseball. Not money like the big boys, but enough to turn them into WAC competitors in as little as 3 years.

This is why the Badgers in the ever growing Big Ten won't be able to hang with the big boys. They just won't have those deep pockets that OSU, USC, Oregon and even perhaps UM can give out.

Back