Will the Packers extend any of their offensive linemen in 2016?

Can't see Tretter getting much more as a guy who has been pretty much a career backup and has had injury issues.
Said it before and I'll say it again. It only takes one team. He can play multiple positions. Value

I guess I'm the optimist. While it's highly unlikely they can or even want to keep them all, I don't see such a huge problem in keeping all of their starters if they want to. Yes, there are big contracts involved and CAP to consider, but Lang and Sitton are already being paid like top-10 guards. It's not real likely they will see significant raises on these next contracts at age 30. Someone above mentioned $32mil/4yrs which would actually be very affordable. I'd take them both at that money. They probably won't count any more against the CAP next year than they do this year and might actually come in lower with the right contract structure.

Bak is certainly a starting quality guy though not nearly top-10 so I think he will see a more modest deal probably something in the $6-7mil/yr range. Now, if Spriggs makes him expendable then maybe they let him walk, but I suspect TT will want to try and keep him and see how things play out. He usually doesn't let young talented starters at a premium position walk. Bulaga's injury history says to me that if you let Bak walk and install Spriggs you are right back in the same boat because Bulaga just seems to break down too often. I'd sign Bak, and maybe look to let Bulaga go after 2016 or 2017 if he has more injury filled seasons.

Tretter might move on or he might be viewed as just a versatile back-up and not worthy of much more than a minimum type deal. Barclay and Rotterham are easy minimum deals if you decide you want them back.

With Peppers $10mil likely to come off the CAP after this season there will be CAP room for these guys. Now, you will have to balance keeping all of these guys with whether you want to keep Lacy and at what number, and of course Perry and Jones are also part of the mix. Perry and Jones count $7.2mil against the CAP this year so they may decide to keep one or the other with that money and let the other guy walk.

I guess I'm the optimist. While it's highly unlikely they can or even want to keep them all, I don't see such a huge problem in keeping all of their starters if they want to. Yes, there are big contracts involved and CAP to consider, but Lang and Sitton are already being paid like top-10 guards. It's not real likely they will see significant raises on these next contracts at age 30. Someone above mentioned $32mil/4yrs which would actually be very affordable. I'd take them both at that money. They probably won't count any more against the CAP next year than they do this year and might actually come in lower with the right contract structure.

Bak is certainly a starting quality guy though not nearly top-10 so I think he will see a more modest deal probably something in the $6-7mil/yr range. Now, if Spriggs makes him expendable then maybe they let him walk, but I suspect TT will want to try and keep him and see how things play out. He usually doesn't let young talented starters at a premium position walk. Bulaga's injury history says to me that if you let Bak walk and install Spriggs you are right back in the same boat because Bulaga just seems to break down too often. I'd sign Bak, and maybe look to let Bulaga go after 2016 or 2017 if he has more injury filled seasons.

Tretter might move on or he might be viewed as just a versatile back-up and not worthy of much more than a minimum type deal. Barclay and Rotterham are easy minimum deals if you decide you want them back.

With Peppers $10mil likely to come off the CAP after this season there will be CAP room for these guys. Now, you will have to balance keeping all of these guys with whether you want to keep Lacy and at what number, and of course Perry and Jones are also part of the mix. Perry and Jones count $7.2mil against the CAP this year so they may decide to keep one or the other with that money and let the other guy walk.

Right, big thing to consider is that resigning Sitton and Lang should really only add maybe $2-3m to the cap hit, and that's only if they go after bigger deals, and both are already paid highly for the position.

Bak and Tretter are where the bigger cap increases come from.

Bak is going to walk. Instant 3rd round comp pick for him. Spriggs doesn't project to the right side, he is a LT.
This is Bulagas last year at RT After this year he slides in to LF to play beside Spriggs. Murphy moves into RT next to Lang. So.....what I'm thinking is we let the two highest price guys walk AFTER this year. Sign Lang (he's younger than Sitton) and Let Tretter try the open market, but be ready with a decent offer in the wings. He's a five position quality backup (4-5M). So after this year it looks like:

LT- Spriggs
LG- Bulaga
C - Linsley
RG- Lang
RT- Murphy

Tretter, Rotherham, New Draft Pick.

interesting take, dubz. i never would have considered bulaga moving to a guard position. it was just a year or two agao they were talking about bulaga moving to left tackle.

I would rather cut Bulaga and keep Sitton and Lang then put Bulaga at guard. Also not trusting putting Murphy at RT he's a late round pick not going to trust he will be more then backup quality right now.

Two questions. One, like reality, I haven't previously heard anything about moving Bulaga. Hasn't played guard since freshman college and, though a bigger tackle, is smaller than all the guys listed as guards. Is there some basis for this other than looking good on paper? Two, isn't projecting a 6th round draft choice as your starter in year 2 pretty ambitious?

With Peppers off the books and a a cap increase I would not be shocked to see both Lang and Sitton back. That said. Let's assume Lacy and Cook have pro Bowl type years. Are they a bigger priority than Tretter and Sitton /Lang.

Let's assume Lacy and Cook have pro Bowl type years. Are they a bigger priority than Tretter and Sitton /Lang.

if cook has a pro bowl season (and i believe that is within the realm of possibility), i would think he becomes a priority. lacy, i'm not so sure. seems like running backs are more easily replaced.

Two questions. One, like reality, I haven't previously heard anything about moving Bulaga. Hasn't played guard since freshman college and, though a bigger tackle, is smaller than all the guys listed as guards. Is there some basis for this other than looking good on paper? Two, isn't projecting a 6th round draft choice as your starter in year 2 pretty ambitious?

Sorry it took so long to respond. When Bulaga was drafted we had Clifton and Tauscher at LT and RT. Clifton was thought to be on his last legs at the time. Then when off season started Bulaga was allegedly challenging for a top 5 spot. (MM- top five guys would start) Well, we had the much maligned Colledge at LG with Wells, Sitton and Tauscher filling the middle and right side. IIRC, there was talk then of Bulaga pushing Colledge to the bench and starting next to Clifton. Tauscher's knee injury in the 4th (?)game put an end to that and Bryan became RT. Remember reading something about Bulaga not having the feet for LT, but had the makings of an All Pro LG. That's AllPro, not ProBowl. As far as size goes, He is basically the same size as Sitton and Lang.

It's just speculation. Makes some sense to let the two highest priced OL walk, keep the rest and adapt. As far as Murphy starting in his second year at RT? Just a gut feeling, he's smart and started in a Pro style offense at LT. Hell, he's already better than Barclay.

Back