With Pick #12 GB Selects Rashan Gary DE/OLB Michigan

Kenny Clark wasn't impact right away. I think that's the hair we're splitting here. After Devin Bush went at 10, who was going to step in and make an impact for this GB Packers team from day 1. Not sure who that was.

And to the bigger point, until the season plays out, we won't know that. I really liked the Bulaga pick at the time, he was drafted as a potential successor to Chad Clifton. I didn't forsee him anchoring the right side for a SB run in his rookie year but there he was. Gary may yet make a difference as the year goes on.

I think Taylor will be gone after this year. He costs 5M and he is average. Hopefully, Jenkins, Turner, or Madison will push him out. Taylor is not worth 5M, IMO.

Other side of the coin from a DR perspective:
Packers pick Rashan Gary likely to need surgery sooner or later

Rashan Gary is a defensive lineman from Michigan and now the newest member of the Green Bay Packers, who selected him with the 12th pick of the NFL draft on Thursday night.
No question, he can play football. But there is a question of when and how well without surgery.
Gary will need shoulder surgery, as we discussed this week. It is merely a matter of when.
In no way am I panning the pick. He played with the labral te’ar and did well in college. Others in the NFL have played with this injury using a brace/harness. That includes the Cowboys DeMarcus Lawrence. However, others, such as the Lions’ Ezekial Ansah last season, have struggled with it.

The Bills chose Shaq Lawson with a similar injury in 2016, and he aggravated it in offseason workouts shortly after being drafted and had surgery, which resulted in his starting on PUP and missing games.
The hope is Gary can play through and have the surgery after the 2019 season. If he were to have surgery now, it would likely mean missing the start of the season. The recovery is typically 4-6 months.
A brace/harness will help, but it can also be an impediment. With a labral tear, the shoulder often is unstable and can shift (sublux) or come out of socket (dislocate). To mitigate this, a brace/strap/harness is used. But that limits shoulder range of motion, which could affect his play.
The main worry — as good as Gary is and as high as the level competition he played against in the Big Ten — is that the NFL is still a much higher level. Not being 100 percent makes jumping up in competition even tougher.

The Packers knew all this and are taking a calculated risk. Without the labral tear, Gary may have been drafted even higher. So Green Bay has snatched up what it expects to be a bargain.

Link https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...tballdoc-packers-rashan-gary-shoulder-surgery

Either team doctors think injuries are minor or Gute is willing to over look guys with injury history when drafting.

I don’t see this as a injury history things, it’s one time and he played thru it at Michigan. I am confident they did their due diligence with this and hopefully they made the right call. Time will tell

RECOVERY AFTER LABRAL TEAR SHOULDER SURGERY
After surgery, you will need to wear a sling for three to four weeks. Your doctor will also prescribe gentle, passive, pain-free range of motion exercises to keep the shoulder capsule from becoming stiff. When the sling is removed, you will need to do motion and flexibility exercises which gradually strengthen your biceps, rotator cuff muscles and other surrounding muscles.
Athletes can usually begin doing sport specific exercises eight to 12 weeks after repair, as it will be three to four months before the shoulder is fully healed.

So if he gets surgery right after season he probably would be held out or limited in OTA next off-season but good to go by TC.

Back