Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Position: CB
Height: 5-11
Class: Junior
Hometown: Charlotte, N.C.
High School: Rocky River
Previous School:
2016: One of the top cornerbacks in the country ... earned second team all-ACC accolades ... has developed into one of the top cover corners in the nation ... explosive punt returner ... started all 13 games ... leads the team with five interceptions ... started and made an impact of defense, recording five tackles and one tackle for loss in the opener versus Charlotte ... totaled four tackles and recorded his first interception in a win at Syracuse ... returned three punts for 13 yards — including an 18-yard return ... made an impact on the game with his play as a punt returner, returning two punts for 130 yards, including a 69-yard return for a touchdown versus Florida State ... credited with four tackles and a pair of break-ups versus Marshall ... played a career game versus nationally ranked Clemson, recording his first two interception game and forced a fumble ... made three tackles in the win over the Blue Devils ... registered a season-high six tackles and a pair of interceptions versus Virginia, returning them for a total of 37 yards ... totaled three tackles as the Cards limited the Eagles to 207 yards of offense ... credited with a stop as Cards dominated on defense — holding Wake Forest to 214 yards of offense ... picked up three tackles versus Houston.
2015: Appeared in 12 games, making one start ... missed Wake Forest contest due to injury ... started at cornerback versus Boston College ... credited with 19 tackles and one interception ... team’s top punt returner ... returned 23 punts for 223 yards for a 9.7 average ... had five punt returns of over 20 or more yards ... returned a punt 24 yards against Houston ... tallied career-high two tackles versus Clemson, NC State and Florida State ... intercepted his first pass and returned it five yards in a win over Samford ... returned a punt for a career-long 33 yards versus Kentucky ... totaled a career-best 10 tackles in the Music City Bowl win over Texas A&M ... returned a punt 32 yards versus the Aggies, the second-longest of the season.

High School: Enrolled in school early ... attended Rocky River High School in Charlotte, N.C. and played for Jason Fowler ... 3-star prospect by Rivals and Scout.com ... tabbed by Scout.com as the fifth-best player in the state of North Carolina and the 22nd by Rivals ... rated the 69th-best cornerback in the country by ESPN.com ... rated the No. 67 cornerback in the nation by Rivals.com and the No. 24 player overall in his state ... registered 30 tackles, four interceptions and 10 pass breakups in 12 games during his senior season ... also played wide receiver, catching 68 passes for 1,123 yards and 18 touchdowns ... selected to play in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas, competing on the North Carolina squad.
Personal: Son of Tawanda and Earl Alexander ... born 2/9/97 ... undecided major.

Let's look at the 2017 and 2018 (early) draft returns. If we just stayed and picked we could've had TJ Watt and Derwin James or Trumaine Edmunds, i.e. two impact players on D. Instead we have Kevin King (injuries), Vince Biegel (injuries), Jaire Alexander (missed much of 2017 with injuries) and some jag next year. This is the definition of trying to draft for need and killing your team. Terribly, terribly disappointing.

I didn't like the trade back at first but now I think it was a good move. Get a top CB in the draft which was a need and a 1st round pick next year, that's a good deal. King and Biegel both will be fine so zero disappointment at all there. TJ Watt would of been nice but as it stands, we are fine.

This guy has some physical ability I tell ya.

4.38 40 time
3.98 shuttle
6.71 3-cone

Has a nose for the football.

Had some trouble with the couple of more-polished receivers he faced in cover 1 situations, but I don't think he'll be doing too much of that from the slot.

Not really upset by the pick, but he'll be compared to Edmunds and James going forward. If those guys go on to be perennial pro bowlers and Alexander is a good but not great CB this will look like a bad move.

I think Alexander can play and I mocked him to the Pack in my one and only mock some weeks ago - but that was in the 2nd Rd. Still, seems like plenty of sites and mocks had him in this range so it's not a reach. Hopefully he at least becomes a steady, solid, slot corner. I do appreciate them not taking Hughes or Jackson. I'd rather have the better athlete and Alexander has elite type speed especially compared to those other 2.

Now they need to find some pass rush.

Not really upset by the pick, but he'll be compared to Edmunds and James going forward. If those guys go on to be perennial pro bowlers and Alexander is a good but not great CB this will look like a bad move.

I think Alexander can play and I mocked him to the Pack in my one and only mock some weeks ago - but that was in the 2nd Rd. Still, seems like plenty of sites and mocks had him in this range so it's not a reach. Hopefully he at least becomes a steady, solid, slot corner. I do appreciate them not taking Hughes or Jackson. I'd rather have the better athlete and Alexander has elite type speed especially compared to those other 2.

Now they need to find some pass rush.
We need to separate ourselves from the Mocking media. They train your brain to think a certain way. Both Edmunds and James dropped lower than anyone was lead to believe. There are probably good reasons. I think Alexander was just a hair behind Ward. We got our starting CB AND picked up a #1 next year. I seriously don't see the angst with how it turned out. We got a very good player. He's a playmaker.

Third-year junior. “Really like him,” said one scout. “He has more plays on the ball than Ward. Little more of a gambler than Ward.” Converted from WR to CB in 2015, had a five-interception season in ’16 and played just six games in ’17 because of a sprained knee and broken hand. Can he start outside? “Eventually,” a second scout replied. “He has enough athletic skill and speed. Pretty good instincts and arm length (31 1/8). He can really run. He can cover. Really raw with his technique. Wasn’t as good in ’17 as he was in ’16 due to injury. Plays with a little swagger. Not the most physical guy in the world.” Finished with 71 tackles, seven picks and 22 PBUs. “The 2017 tape looks really bad,” a third scout said. “If you go back to when he was healthy he’s a first-round talent. I don’t know if a team will take him in the first but he’s going to be good.”

I didn't see a press man corner on tape... Off man yes. Agree with the scout has raw technique meaning he fits well in Green bay :D Really not sure if this tells us Pettine has changed up his coverage scheme or not?? I do think GB will kick themselves for not drafting James at 14.

Time will tell on this pick

I agree on James being a better pick at 14. I just wonder what it is that the Packers have in their pocket that tells them this was a good move. I like the way it sets up next year's draft, but it almost looks like they might be thinking about the future more than today.

I also agree that Pettine's chosen route for his defense will go a long way towards telling us where Alexander fits.

Don't like it. Don't like his size, among some more trivial things. Would have been okay with him at #27, even liked it there. He was mocked mostly in the mid-late 20's as well.
Never judge the first pick in a vacuum though...gotta see what else we do.

Whether he's closer to Buckley or Shields is a pretty big question. Hopefully it's the latter and Brees arm falls off this season....... I do worry about his durability at his size and whether he can match up with big WRs with his penchant for gambling but he does have talent
But damn if I wasn't high on James as being the playmaker this D needs

Back