WST.net College Football Top 17 and Bottom Three-Upset Special

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you thought there was movement last week, we went through the seemingly annual spate of huge upsets with the top teams. In fact Clemson went down just a few hours after I got the post up.

Dabo Sweeney was on record saying that he was not at all a fan of Friday night games. After what happened, they may never play on a Friday again. That's nothing compared to what happened later that evening when Wazzou got their doors blown off by Cal...

On with the poll!

1. Alabama - Arkansas didn't stand a chance, and Bama looked a lot more like the Alabama that we're familiar with, which they haven't really done as of late. They've got a chokehold on the #1 spot for the foreseeable future. (last: 2)
  2. Georgia - These guys have looked as good as anybody in college football. Granted the SEC East has seemed a bit down, but Georgia has smashed all comers thus far. Enjoy a week off. (last: 4)
  3. TCU - I'd move Penn State up, but they had the week off. TCU has been solid and steady. (last: 7)
  4. Wisconsin - Purdue has put up a fight against most of their schedule this year, and Bucky certainly had their fair share of mishaps, but the defense came up in big ways all day long. These guys have to get healthy. (last: 6)
  5. Penn State - inactive
  6. Ohio State - Nebraska didn't put up any sort of resistance, but Ohio State's run of puffballs ends here. Penn State comes to town to likely decide who gets to represent the B1G East. (last: 8)
  7. Clemson - I've noted for a couple of weeks how 'off' the Tigers have appeared, and it caught up with them at the Carrier Dome. Maybe they were overlooking Syracuse just like I was. (last: 1)
  8. Miami - I know TW said that he was a fan of not having the big Florida schools up near the top, but the 'Canes have managed to beat everyone that's come up against them. The schedule hasn't been daunting, but it's decent. Up next is Syracuse, who just dumped Clemson. (last: 12)
  9. Oklahoma State - a nice win for "America's Greatest Homecoming Celebration" where guest stars like Garth Brooks and Ricky Fowler were more exciting than the game. Business trips to Austin and Morgantown loom before an early Bedlam showdown this year. (last: 11)
  10. Washington - the Packers didn't look as listless after the Rodgers injury as the Huskies did this past Saturday. I think Stanford is now on top of the Pac 12 North... who'd a thought? (last: 3)
  11. Oklahoma - rofl(--some things that were going on the last time Iowa State won in Norman: JFK was in the White House, Yuri Gargarin and Alan Shepard become the first men to go to space, the Berlin Wall was built, the Packers beat the Giants 37-0 to win their 7th NFL championship, and ISU finished 5-5 that year. Congrats though on your win in the Red River Shootout. (last: 127)
  12. USC - a come-from-behind victory over Utah at home probably wasn't what you expected this weekend, especially after going into halftime down 7-21. I don't think Notre Dame will let you get away with that. (last: 13)
  13. USF - I think I've finally seen enough to get you in here. I don't actually think you're 13th, but with ND and VTech on byes this past week, I've not got anyone to move up. You're not a bad choice, though. (last: NR)
  14. Notre Dame - inactive
  15. NC State - nice road victory at Pitt, I'll give you the nod over Michigan State. Enjoy your bye week. (last: 18)
  16. Virginia Tech - inactive
  17. Auburn - I'm giving you a little grief for having lost to a team that spent a week in the Pit earlier this season. It seems like LSU and Florida have been rotating in and out of that #25 spot for the last few weeks. Now it's the Tigers' turn (the LSU ones) to have it. (last: 10)
Newcomers: South Florida
Dropped out: Washington State - you get a week off when you get beat that badly; San Diego State - you probably won't be back, as this was the last good game on your schedule and Boise just took it to you.
On the Bubble: Stanford

The Bottom Three-believe it or not, there aren't a whole lot of teams to crap on out there.
128. Targeting--the rule is broken, but I'd be one of the first to say that defenders have to tackle better.
129. Kansas -- a 0-45 loss to Iowa State always looks good...
130. Baylor -- circle Nov 4 on your calendar everyone. The only way to catch this game is probably going to be by heading to Lawrence.

Climbed out of the Pit: OU
Welcome to Hel!: Targeting
Drowned in the Styx: Louisville basketball
(they fired Pitino, good enough for me for now)
Mired in the Acheron: the NCAA

Miami - I know TW said that he was a fan of not having the big Florida schools up near the top, but the 'Canes have managed to beat everyone that's come up against them. The schedule hasn't been daunting, but it's decent. Up next is Syracuse, who just dumped Clemson. (last: 12)

hof(

They have played well enough to be rated. It would be disingenuous to not rank them. With any luck, Syracuse will find lightning in a bottle for a second game. I do hate criticizing schools, but let's face it, there seems to be a lack of understanding with a lot of them that their primary goal is to educate people, not create great athletic teams at the price of losing academic credibility.

I totally agree on Pitino and his firing. I wonder how long it will be before they turn their attention to Kentucky.

Once again, fantastic rankings! Insightful, and funny at times.

Back