2016 WIAA Boys Basketball D4 State Championship Semi-Finals

Scoremore12

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
D4 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finals

Both games played on Thursday, March 17.

Aquinas (15-11) vs Dominican (26-1) @ 6:35 pm

Cameron (25-0) vs Amherst (25-1) @ 8:15 pm

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Dominican 62 Cameron 43 Dominican wins a record 5th straight title. This has respurred the debate about multipliers and private schools. Dominican is without a doubt recruiting kids that would be found in D1 and 2 programs.

WIAA has a problem on their hands.

57packer

I think they voted on it last year and it didn't pass. I doubt they take it up again so soon.

I agree that I'd probably be ticked off if I was the other D4 schools. Dominican can take kids from all around the city and add them to their small enrollment. Public schools have to take the kids in their geography and make it work. The process favors the private schools in many cases.

Look at Marquette soccer for example. A very similar situation to Dominican basketball. A few years ago they had kids from Racine, Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee and Washington counties in the program. Their coach runs clinics and camps open to everyone and they actively recruit kids from the area "select" teams to attend. Public schools coaches cannot compete equally on the same footing.

I don't think there is much that can be done. It's an unfair advantage to the private schools and in retrospect, it may have been a mistake to integrate WISAA in with the WIAA, especially in terms of the small schools.