2018 QB Ben Bryant Makes Verbal Pledge to Badgers

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Wisconsin Badgers have lots of questions to answer this offseason at quarterback, but it will go in to the offseason not needing to worry a ton about recruiting at the position for the 2018 class.

On Thursday afternoon our recruiting partners at Badger247 have reported that La Grange (Ill.) Lyons Township quarterback Ben Bryant has committed to Wisconsin. After months of speculation over whom might commit first, it is the 3-star, Bryant, that pulls the trigger first.

Excited to say that I have committed to The University Of Wisconsin
1f534.png
⚪️#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/oJllFqH56z

— Ben Bryant (@benbryant_7) December 7, 2016

It shouldn’t be a surprising commitment, as Bryant visited Wisconsin three times during the 2016 season — all on his own dime.

“I can’t really see anyone topping them,” he said to Badger247 back in October. “I’m really amazed by the coaches, the facilities, and the whole program in general. I really like it there a lot.”

Bryant is the No. 19 ranked pro-style quarterback in the 2018 class and the No. 7 ranked player in the state of Illinois. He is also the third player to commit to the Badgers 2018 class, joining safeties Reggie Pearson, Jr. (River Rouge, Mich.) and Trent Ingalls (Menasha, Wis.)

However, don’t think the Badgers are completely done recruiting at the position. It is largely thought that UW would like to take a pair of quarterbacks in the class and are also known to be in the drivers seat for 4-star quarterback Jack Tuttle too.

For now, Wisconsin has its first and can really start building around that. It also means the heat may be turned up on Tuttle should he want to commit and secure a spot in this class, and that heat will be turned up by the main quarterback recruiter, former UW QB and current assistant quarterbacks coach Jon Budmayr.

b.gif

Continue reading...

I agree on getting Tuttle on board as well. Strong competition makes for better play from both. One could end up a red shirt, maybe both.

Adding one more would make some sense from a depth perspective. They were really thin this year and if Houston had gone down in the B1G title game they might have had to burn the red-shirt on Lyles. Same potential problem exists next year. If they don't get Malik Zaire, who is visiting today, they have Horni and Lyles next year. Sure they could burn the red-shirt on Coan or Vandenboom, but that's never really optimal. A pair of QBs in 2018 would be some insurance against being this thin again for the foreseeable future.

Plus, QBs might be more likely than other positions to transfer due to playing time issues. Part of the depth problem this year was a miss on a QB in BB's last season and the fact that both of GA's QB recruits have already bailed - though Kafentsis leaving was offset by Hornibrook being added. Still the BB miss and the loss of GA's first QB recruit is what resulted in the current gap with no junior or sophomore. I'm sure PC would rather not have that going forward.

Back