Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Practice Starts at: 1:30 PM CDT
General:
  • Shoulder pads today.
  • Today is the last public practice this preseason
Not Practicing: TE Jimmy Graham (Thumb), S Josh Jones (Illness)
Injuries: Matt LaFleur (Achilles-No Boot), CB Ka’Dar Hollman (Stinger), LB Reggie Gilbert (Knee), LB Oren Burks (Chest), FB Danny Vitale (Calf), CB Kabion Ento (Hamstring), Jace Sternberger (Jaw), CB Kevin King (Hamstring), LB Greg Roberts (PUP), S Ibraheim Campbell (PUP)
Offense:
  • Aaron Rodger is back.
  • RB Jamaal Williams getting his first team reps in opening period.
  • Davante Adams just got up from stretching and ran into the Don Hutson center. Worth monitoring. He was running just fine... Adams is back out, nothing to see here.
  • Rodgers running the ones but Turner for Bulaga at RT.
  • Shep works wide open over the middle. Acres of space. Bit of a double catch but good play! Getting reps with the 1s now.
  • Pettine brings everyone. Rodgers gets it out quick and high to MVS who goes up to make the catch.
  • Kizer long for Davis but not even close. Davis was covered well.
  • Kizer feels the pressure and has to unload quickly, incomplete on a swing.
  • Wilkins gets 3rd team reps this round over Boyle.
  • Wilkins throws incomplete on a swing pass to Hall, well behind him.
  • Now Alex Light at RT with the 1s and Turner slides back to RG.
  • Slant from Rodgers to Adams and Adams just explodes up field. Huge gain, Rodgers through perfectly in the window and lead him in stride. Explosive play.
  • Third-down period starts with Rodgers converting 2-3 but Rodgers misses three third-and-longs and Kizer/Wilkins combined 0-6.
  • Aaron Jones with a nice pickup on a toss right. Running behind Light/Turner.
  • Jet toss to Trevor Davis. Nothing doing.
  • Play action pass. Beautiful fake. All day. No separation but Rodgers throws Kumerow open. Fantastic ball but dropped by 16.
  • Evan Baylis getting some early reps in run period with Graham out.
  • False start Pankey.
  • A bit of an orbit toss to Trevor Davis for a huge pickup down the sideline. Davis getting reps with the 1s and 2s today.
  • Boyle huge play action throw to Trevor Davis in double coverage by Chandon Sullivan and Will Redmond. 40 yard play for those two despite PI from Sullivan. WRs go nuts. One of the best throws of camp.
  • No huddle time: Starting with the second team. Kizer at QB. Evan Baylis wide open on a rollout for a nice gain sandwiched between two runs that went nowhere.
  • Screen to Jones for a nice pickup.
  • Nice run inside by Carson.
  • Huge play by J’Mon Moore on a diving touchdown catch over Natrell Jamestown. Beautiful, beautiful play by Moore. Not exactly the best pass from Tim Boyle, but gets the job done. Moore got up and chucked the football in excitement. Yeah, he needed that.
  • Kizer not close on an intermediate out to MVS.
  • Kizer to Adams deep incomplete. Savage on the coverage. Probably early but uncatchable.
  • Kizer throws low over the middle to a sliding Shep who of course makes the catch sliding between defenders.
  • Boyle with a laser to Tonyan up the seam. Beauty of a pass and catch.
  • Red zone time. Boyle finds Hall for a checkdown. Easy completion. Light with great protection vs. Preston.
  • Boyle finds Shep in the back of the end zone. Nice throw and nice catch but Shep comes down out of bounds. Preston beat de Beer on the play.
  • Man, Robert Tonyan can really run. Just split the safeties down the seam for a deep catch from DeShone Kizer.
  • Jones big gain up the middle on an inside toss.
  • Rodgers not working with 1s against cards after doing pretty much everything else. It’s likely he’s being limited on first day back from back injury.
  • Bakhtiari handles Gary with ease.
  • Kizer throws behind Kumerow and he can’t hang on. That’s wide open for Kizer on a simple crosser.
  • Kizer comes back and fires complete for a nice pickup over the middle to Kumerow.
  • No edge set by the defense & Dexter Williams has the easiest outside run of his life likely for what would have been a touchdown.
  • Boyle complete to Lazard over the middle.
  • Boyle complete to Shepherd short. Redmond jumped it & Boyle was late but Boyle threw high avoiding the pick.
  • Redding has a step on Redmond but Wilkins throws short. Redding goes up to get it but it falls incomplete.
  • Rodgers slightly upset with Tonyan after a route. You hear him say “Damn it Rob, come on.”
  • Rodgers leads team in half speed drills to the end zone but the last play of open camp ends with a drop by Adams in the end zone w/ no time left.
Defense:
  • Rashan Gary, in middle, along with Za’Darius Smith doing drills with D-linemen today. We’ve seen this periodically during camp.
  • Team time. There seems to be good energy to start. Defense starts in Nitro.
  • Clark looks like he would have sacked 12 but 12 celebrates that he ran for the first.
  • Rodgers throws to Allison who was well covered and slipped on the play. Jaire on coverage.
  • Jackson in coverage on Shep. Looked like good coverage incomplete but refs throw the flag.
  • Summers shoots through the gap untouched for the sack on Kizer. Poor blitz pickup.
  • Rodgers took time to go all the way to the defensive sideline to coach up Darnell Savage on something.
  • First team period ends with Ramsey pressuring Wilkins into an incompletion on check down to Hall.
  • Toss to Jones outside and he does a nice job to turn the corner but Blake Martinez is waiting for him. Nice play by Blake.
  • Fackrell with a nice play at the line to get through his block and then jump to knock down the pass.
  • Ty Summers stuffs Darrin Hall.
  • Gary shuts down a run by Hall.
  • St. Brown beats Jamerson for a catch for 15ish but sack by Redmond first.
  • D. Williams goes nowhere again.
  • Tramon perfect coverage on MVS, Rodgers throws incomplete.
  • Montravius stops Jones.
  • Bolton all over Carson on a quick pass.
  • Preston Smith with back-to-back clear shots at Aaron Rodgers, rushing from both the left and right side.
  • Josh Jackson great coverage on Allison. Jackson looks to be favoring his shoulder after the play and comes off the field. He’s getting looked at a bit. He's back, seems fine.
  • Kizer having a rough day. Throws to McKever but Tramon is all over it. Tramon has a better chance tbh.
  • Savage is hurt on a pbu after coming down hard. He jogs off. Hopefully just the wind knocked out of him. Back with the 1s already.
  • Olive Sagapolu w/ one of his best plays of camp firing threw Coyle for a tfl.
  • Tony Brown has seemingly stayed ahead of Josh Jackson with Jackson returning from injury.
  • Interesting: Curtis Bolton on the field as lone true ILB in 3-safety look.
Media:
Waiting for Rodgers to bust out this throw in a game...
Interesting Tidbits:
  • Players pleading with Matt LaFleur to turn the music up. LaFleur tells everyone they need to earn the music. They bring the juice and he’ll pump the music. Geronimo & Alexander pleading for the louder music to no avail.
  • One fan tries starting the Go Pack Go chant to no avail. Then yells “Lower the beer prices!”
Practice has ended at: 3:27 PM | 1 hrs 57 min
Next event is: Training Camp Tomorrow (8/20) NO PUBLIC
Press Conference Notes:
  • GM Brian Gutekunst says he's "getting closer" to knowing the 53, but still lot to be decided vs. Raiders and Chiefs.
  • Gutekunst on TE Jimmy Graham, who left yesterday's practice because of finger injury: "I'm not going to talk about injuries, but I think we might've escaped one right there."
  • Gutekunst says it's likely the Packers already have their backup QB on their roster in either DeShone Kizer or Tim Boyle.
  • GM Brian Gutekunst said the plan is still to play Aaron Rodgers on Thursday night in Winnipeg if his back tightness allows.
  • Gutekunst on Rashan Gary: "Everything we thought about Rashan when we drafted him has been evident out there."
  • Gutekunst on CB Kevin King's availability for Week 1: "You're concerned, right? Because he's not out there right now … I think he's getting close. He's obviously a very talented player who can help us."
  • Matt LaFleur on Trevor Davis: “Excited about Trevor, excited to watch him in the game.”
  • Matt LaFleur said “we’ll see” if Aaron Rodgers plays Thursday. It’s certainly not a priority. “I don’t think it’s going to make or break us one way or another. I’ve got so much confidence in him.”
  • Matt LaFleur says Jimmy Graham didn’t need finger surgery. “He’ll be alright.”
  • Aaron Rodgers says his back locked up on him a little last Wednesday. Thought about practicing yesterday. Wants to play Thursday vs. Raiders if LaFleur will let him.

Mixed emotions here. They continue to treat Boyle like a guy they don't consider for #2. It's all Kizer at this point. It could be a smoke screen to try to get something out of Kizer instead of just dumping him, but it doesn't do much good for Boyle's self esteem. If he's going to be the #2, give him the damned ball and let him develop with a little time with the better players on the team. Based on this narration, he once again made Wilkins and Kizer look like bums!

There are other things I'm reading, but that's the one that makes me shake my head constantly!

I really think our WR's are:

Adams, MVS, Kumerow, Shepherd, Davis, and Allison or St Brown. One is going to get cut. I heard Moore dropped 2 or 3 passes in practice again recently. He caught one tough ball. Whoopity doo!

Kizer showing once again how inconsistent he is. Boyle just needs to play and he will be fine. Trade Kizer for 5th or 6th rounder and be done with it.

The other sort of surprise cut could be Lewis at TE. Injuries will play in that decision. Graham is having finger issues again like last year. Sternberger is still out with the concussion and jaw issue.

Lastly, I think Josh Jones will be cut if Campbell is healthy. Jones has shown norhing once again in camp and preseason.

Gonna be an ugly start to the season for sure. But we expected that.

WR have me worried. RB as well. Decent group but nothing spectacular standing out consistently. Flashes here and there. Fingers crossed. Will see more once season starts and it counts.

DEF may be ok. They really need the season to start to gauge where they are.

Seems about what we expected for a new system. Won't be able to see much more until they are in a less scripted regular season situation where they don't have time to think and react. Should be fun

I'm really worried about WR if Adams goes down. If he's healthy I believe they're OK but it's more wishing than knowing. I think there is physical talent there, but to me, none of these guys are #1 WR's right now and not even one of them has actually shown they are even a solid #2. It's all unproven. I/we hope that a couple of them will be that capable #2/#3 this year but we won't know until maybe a few games in. We are basically looking at a bunch of 5th rd and later draft picks and UDFA's to develop and get it done. (Moore was a 4th rd pick but I don't think he makes the team.) IMO, they need to pay a little more attention to the skill positions in next years draft and FA.

I have no idea where we are right now with our receivers, but I do know that there's been no indication from the coaching staff that they're not running their routes. I think those that do run them right are surfacing, and those that are failing are those who can't get it right, or loaf, when they aren't a primary receiver. They just plain don't work off the ball, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a worse crime than dropping an easy pass, because you immediately take yourself out of play and become a spectator.

I think they have 3 precise route runners on the team. Adams, Sheperd, and Kumerow. Adams learned it over the course of two years, Kumerow got it last year, and Sheperd is a quick study, who uses his length very well in catching the ball. They have others who can stretch the field, and be speed receivers, and that's always going to be a factor.

I'm not going to dismiss them as being sub-par at this point. I want to see what they can do during the regular season. I think they could all grow into a fairly decent unit. Possibly in the top 12 in the league. My only question will be who will put themselves at the end of the bench and/or off the team over these next couple of weeks, with drops.

You have 4 locks at WR right now Adams, MVS, Allison, Kumerow. That will leave one or two spouts. I don't think Davis and Shepard are both being kept they are two similar and don't need both Davis has zero upside as a WR so I keep Shepard plus he is cheaper and has years left of control Davis is a FA after this year. That would leave maybe one spot open. Moore has been so poor I see him having no chance to make the team. That would leave St. Brown and Lazard to battle for that 6th spot if one is kept.

Excuse my mistake. I didn't mean Sheperd was a solid route runner. I meant Lazard, and he has length. He can catch those jump balls over defenders. Sheperd is a decent receiver, but his routes don't look as crisp.

My bad.

Back