2019 WST Poll #5

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Coming back at ya after a few weeks off due to school obligations and exercising the family's fourth draft pick. We left off here just before Wisconsin fell of the face of the earth by dropping a game at Illinois which I guarantee you in no way impacted my willingness to perform this little exercise. None at all. Not a bit.

Anyway, trying to get this in before the Committee releases what is going to be their flawed standings, on with the show.

One last brief note before I begin, Baylor will no longer appear in the rankings as I am reminded (by me) that they are in year 3 of a 5 year program shutdown for the heinous things that came to light in 2016. See my polls from 2017 for a refresher on how I feel about that.

1. Ohio State—everyone and their grandma has LSU here and that’s just wrong, plain and simple. My fingernails are splintering as I type this but the Bucknuts are the best team in college football right now, though I am disappointed they let Maryland get wtihing 60. You think they’ll drop 100 on Rutgers? (last: 1)

2. LSU—this game told me that I was close, but a little off, on LSU, and pretty much right on with Alabama. I already called it, but the game wasn’t even over when talk of a 1-loss Alabama making the final four began in earnest. (last: 6)

3. Clemson—I haven’t followed any of their games other than a quick glance at their schedule just now but I think Louisville was ranked when they played and Wake Forest is up this weekend. I still give them credit for their early schedule. (last: 2)

4. Utah—sliding the Utes ahead of Bama just to show what I think of the Tide. Losing close on the road is better then getting punched at home, and Utah, abysmal as it is, has a better non-con schedule than Alabama (last: NR)

5. Minnesota—yep, them too. I’ve got this ringing in my ears that won’t go away, but the Goofers finally played a good team and won. Doesn’t erase that they’ve barely won most of their games, and Penn State did their best to hand the game away (and did). (last: the bubble)

6. Oregon— I suppose I could have them at 4 and Utah here, but I really didn’t want to do that even though I think maybe they should be. But as the Chief Rulemaker, I have decided that I can break the rules if I want. (last: 14)

7. Alabama—there’s few things I enjoy as much as utterly perplexed Southern Girls when their team is (apparently inexplicably) getting beat. The first time all year the Tide play a halfway decent team, they lose. Makes me wish I’d had more guts to slide them down earlier in the year. (last: 3)

8. Penn State—I really don’t want Minnesota to be this good, it really shouldn’t be possible. They talk about Fleck on Omaha radio and ask why he can do it but the messiah Frost hasn’t been able to so far. (last: 9)

9. Oklahoma—I’m only including them so that I can trash on them because what is life without its little joys? Losing to K-State ain’t so bad, they’re scrappy every once in a while, but who am I kidding, it’s terrible. And ah, Iowa State. That was a great game, what a comeback. And if I was the coach, and had 100 chances to do it over again, I’d still go for 2, every time. Absolutely the right call. Win and go home. (last: 5)

10. Georgia -- they've done some goo... just kidding. You guys lost to South Carolina. Go home.
There’s a whole bunch of teams right there that I could go through but as a concession to the brevity of life will refrain from (mostly because while the analysis is fun, that’s more for the end of the season playoff than the weekly poll). The next couple of weeks have some really exciting games and some matchups I'm eager to see. This is probably going to be my most difficult playoff to seed yet, but that's the fun of it.

Reactions: TW
LSU has beaten 4 top 10 teams. I am ok with them at 1 and OSU at 2 but close. Oregon at 4. Lot of football left. Minnesota is at best 10.

Georgia would beat the hell out of Penn State and Oregon. Plain beat the Sooners and send the Goofers home in a body bag.

Listening to local tv sports in the TC’s is “gag me with a spoon time” between “Gophers are going to the Rose Bowl”, and “Vikings are going to the Super Bowl!” tripe I have to listen to
Every
Single
Day

nuts((

bh(

Listening to local tv sports in the TC’s is “gag me with a spoon time” between “Gophers are going to the Rose Bowl”, and “Vikings are going to the Super Bowl!” tripe I have to listen to
Every
Single
Day

nuts((

bh(
Unfortunately Rose is very realistic

LSU has beaten 4 top 10 teams. I am ok with them at 1 and OSU at 2 but close. Oregon at 4. Lot of football left. Minnesota is at best 10.

It's my extremely biased opinion that Ohio State's win over Wisconsin is better than any win LSU could garner, ever :)

It looks like it's a big deal whichever team is actually #1 this year, b/c #2 gets Clemson (all things holding serve), but I think that however that shakes out, either team is better than the Tigers, just based on the eye test.

Every
Single
Day

nuts((

bh(

Minnesota vs. Utah, right? In case it was unclear, I'm very annoyed with Penn State. I'd gag them with a spoon.

It's my extremely biased opinion that Ohio State's win over Wisconsin is better than any win LSU could garner, ever :)

It looks like it's a big deal whichever team is actually #1 this year, b/c #2 gets Clemson (all things holding serve), but I think that however that shakes out, either team is better than the Tigers, just based on the eye test.
I can see that take on OSU, its valid. but OSU best win is UW, LSU has wins over Auburn, Florida and Bama. I have mixed feelings on Clemson. Just don't seem as dominate on defense as last year and ACC is awful. Difference to me is Burrow and LSU speed on defense

I have mixed feelings on Clemson. Just don't seem as dominate on defense as last year and ACC is awful.

I haven't sern him much, but they either got worse at WR or the QB has either regressed or been figured out.

Back