2021 WIAA FB Week 9 Scores

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Do they take if by saying kids in 10-12 grades or how is it figured out?

GBP4EVER

Draft Guru
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
Springs might never go up. I was told springs is near max capcity at the school and will need to cap enrollment or add another level to already what is a brand new building they made to make the cities catholic school system fight in one building from K-12 instead of having several schools open.

ChargerDad

Reaction score
Do they take if by saying kids in 10-12 grades or how is it figured out?
It's enrollment on the 3rd Friday of September of grades 9-12 from the previous year. For conferences, teams are grouped by geography and with similar enrollments, but the way the playoffs are done, it's rare for a conference to be entirely one division. 224 playoff qualifiers are picked based on the defined criteria (.500 or better in conferences, then remainder of field based on record and a bunch of tie break criteria). Once the 224 qualifiers are chosen, they are split into 7 divisions of 32, so you don't know which division you are in until the season is over. The number of smaller teams dropping to 8 man football has really moved the lines on the bottom end, as a number of teams typically in D6 are D7 this year, including Eau Claire Regis who would likely have won the D6 title and Iola-Scandinavia who has been a very good D6 team for a number of years.

ThunderBird977

Reaction score
It's enrollment on the 3rd Friday of September of grades 9-12 from the previous year. For conferences, teams are grouped by geography and with similar enrollments, but the way the playoffs are done, it's rare for a conference to be entirely one division. 224 playoff qualifiers are picked based on the defined criteria (.500 or better in conferences, then remainder of field based on record and a bunch of tie break criteria). Once the 224 qualifiers are chosen, they are split into 7 divisions of 32, so you don't know which division you are in until the season is over. The number of smaller teams dropping to 8 man football has really moved the lines on the bottom end, as a number of teams typically in D6 are D7 this year, including Eau Claire Regis who would likely have won the D6 title and Iola-Scandinavia who has been a very good D6 team for a number of years.
Your going to see several teams drop out to 8 man the next 2 years. The numbers going out have dropped like a rock since before Covid. Even BB and wrestling are losing numbers now.

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Your going to see several teams drop out to 8 man the next 2 years. The numbers going out have dropped like a rock since before Covid. Even BB and wrestling are losing numbers now.
True, what's telling is that the plains which have played 8-man a long time are seeing a big switch to 6 man FB. Yes, even 8-man is losing numbers now.

ChargerDad

Reaction score
It's already happening, and it's going to continue to happen.. Wausau East played an 8 man schedule this year because of numbers.. I think they are going to end up with 2 8 man divisions at some point.. and maybe move from 7 to 6 11 man divisions. Numbers going down for a lot of reasons and started way pre covid for all sports, covid certainly didn't help.

TW

Reaction score
In HS, I played 8-man football, and it was one helluva game. In all honesty, I preferred it over 11 man in college. You had to be more in tune with your responsibilities in each play, because there was nobody there to dig you out if you screwed up.

Scaling up to 11 man isn't nearly as difficult as it is to scale down. People think it's like a second level of play, but it's not. You just lose two linemen on offense, and one back. On defense, we played a 3-3-2 most of the time. When we went to 4-2-2, we just moved a LB up on the line.

If there is one thing that makes 8-man difference is speed. If you have speed in that game, you're going to score a lot.

ChargerDad

Reaction score
In HS, I played 8-man football, and it was one helluva game. In all honesty, I preferred it over 11 man in college. You had to be more in tune with your responsibilities in each play, because there was nobody there to dig you out if you screwed up.

Scaling up to 11 man isn't nearly as difficult as it is to scale down. People think it's like a second level of play, but it's not. You just lose two linemen on offense, and one back. On defense, we played a 3-3-2 most of the time. When we went to 4-2-2, we just moved a LB up on the line.

If there is one thing that makes 8-man difference is speed. If you have speed in that game, you're going to score a lot.
I played 9 man in ND.. it's a whole different game. so much space, that speed kills...

Reactions: TW