Aaron Jones to break a 57 year old team record?

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
Aaron jones sits at 15 total TD's on the season. He has 12 rushing TD's and 3 receiving TD's. Jim Taylor had 19 rushing TD's in 1962. So can Jones get a total of 5 more TD's in the next 3 games to set a new team record for TD's by a player other than a QB?

Didn't Ahman Green have more than that? Thought he had 20 total ?

Didn't Ahman Green have more than that? Thought he had 20 total ?
Yes Bud you are correct Green in 2003 15 rushing and 5 receiving so Green would need to average 2 TD's a game in last 3. Possible but yeah not likely he gets 6 TDs in last 3 games.

I thought Ahman had 20 TDs one season, but the OP referred to 'rushing TDs' and then included all TDs.
So my math skills say Jones needs 6 more.

I think it's really a joke how they figure that breaking a record in 16 games is like being the man who did it in 12. It reminds me of the 1,000 yard rushing season. When they played 12 games, that was 83.3 yard per game. Today, with 16 games, it's a more pedestrian 62.5.

Taylor's 19 rushing TD record came in a 14 game season. If you ain't there at the end of Sunday's game, your record isn't a new one, when you go over 19, it's a new record with an *, and notation that it wasn't done in 14.

EDIT: That season, with 19 TDs, was 1962, and the only year in Jim Brown's career with the Browns, that he wasn't the rushing leader for the season. Taylor beat him.

Then again with the modern rules, the game has changed to include much more passing.

There's some merit to the rules change issue, and more passing, but the fact remains, the running offense we have today would be used more if it was more productive.

Taylor averaged 5.4 yards per carry, despite lugging the ball 272 times. Jones is averaging 4.5 with 175 carries. That extrapolates to Taylor 19.4 per game, and Taylor 13.5. Scoring: '62 - 25.9 per game, 2019 - 23.8.

Simple fact is, the Packers were a dominant run team in '62, and that was why Taylor got the ball so often, and scored so much. His record is still intact, and will be, if it isn't broken in game #14.

I've just never liked diluted records. I still believe that Roger Maris 61 home runs should have an asterisk next to it, because it took him 159 games to get #60, and 162 games to get #61. Ruth hit his 60 in 154 games. At 154, Maris had 59.

Well this record is in reach now for Jones. After the Vikings game he sits at 19 TD's on the season he scores 2 TDs vs the Lions and he will have the record.

Jones also only needs 16 yards rushing for his first 1K season ever.

Back