Badgers vs Iowa

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
IOWA CITY, Iowa — Columnist Jim Polzin grades the Wisconsin Badgers’ performance in their 24-10 loss to the Iowa Hawkeyes on Saturday at Kinnick Stadium.

Offense: F​

Graham Mertz made one great throw — the touchdown to Keontez Lewis late in the first half — and a lot of bad ones. He had three turnovers in all, including an interception that was returned for a touchdown. The offensive line appeared to be getting better in recent weeks but took a major step back against Iowa. Trey Wedig really struggled and eventually was benched. Braelon Allen didn’t have a lot of holes to run through, but it didn’t help that he was tentative and seemed to go out of his way to avoid contact.

Defense: A-minus​

Nick Herbig was a monster, especially in the first half, and finished with three of UW’s six sacks. The Badgers stopped the run and only gave up points when Iowa was handed great field position. The only knock on this group is it didn’t come up with a momentum-turning turnover on a day when UW desperately needed one thanks to the failure of its other two units.

Special teams: F​

This group had six negative plays, an outrageously high number. The biggest: Getting a punt blocked, leading to an Iowa touchdown; punt returner Dean Engram letting the ball bounce and Iowa downing it at the 1; and giving up a 46-yard punt return that set up another touchdown for the Hawkeyes.

Coaching: C-minus​

This loss will go on Jim Leonhard’s ledger, but it really can be traced back to two Paul Chryst problems: Namely that he didn’t do a good enough job of developing Mertz and/or finding someone who could be counted on if the decision was made to bench Mertz; and that he didn’t come up with a solution — or hire someone to come up with a solution — for an underperforming special teams unit. Bobby Engram didn’t offer much in the way of creative play-calling against the Hawkeyes.

Overall: D-minus​

• Cheers
Reactions: TW
You can't just beat the Marylands and Northwestern's while losing to the better teams and come at me with but "it really wasn't Jim's problem"

To be frank, at this moment, he's not the answer. If he wins the last two, he still won't be. Make a little note somewhere and if I am wrong in 3 years I'll eat crow.

You can't just beat the Marylands and Northwestern's while losing to the better teams and come at me with but "it really wasn't Jim's problem"

To be frank, at this moment, he's not the answer. If he wins the last two, he still won't be. Make a little note somewhere and if I am wrong in 3 years I'll eat crow.
Agree I think Leonhard will get job but we will see this be a 5-7 win program over the next 3-4 years and then he gets the boot for not doing enough and UW repeats with finding some other coach that has UW times to keep the inbreding going

Played a bunch of freshman and sophomores on teams today, that was a coaching decision and falls on JL. Defense played more then good enough but no turnovers was a bummer.

The offense? No matter who the next HC is fire that whole side and get new blood in here, recruit for the new OC even if it hurts for a couple years.

Team loss for sure.

Back