Badgers WR Quintez Cephus charged, suspended

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Wisconsin Badgers star wide receiver Quintez Cephus announced a leave of absence from the team on Saturday night. On Monday afternoon he was charged with two felonies and suspended by the athletic department.

Cephus was charged with second degree sexual assault of an intoxicated person and third degree sexual assault, both of which are felonies.

Following those charges being formally brought, the Badgers athletic department put Cephus on suspension “pending the availability of further information relating to his case.”

For his part, Cephus vehemently denied the charges before they even were formally made. He took to Twitter on Saturday and vowed to clear his name, claiming this encounter was a completely consensual situation.

pic.twitter.com/2YglzG3k8b

— Quintez Cephus (@QoDeep_87) August 18, 2018

“I have been wrongfully accused of unlawful conduct and I am innocent of any allegations associated with this consensual relationship,” said Cephus in his Twitter message.

Cephus is accused of the two counts as it apparently happened with two woman at the same time. He is facing up to 10 years in prison for the third-degree charge and up to 40 years in prison if convicted in the second-degree charge.

Additionally, the Wisconsin State Journal is reporting that teammate and fellow wide receiver, Danny Davis, was present and took pictures.

However, Davis has not been charged in this particular case at this time, but District Attorney Ismael Ozanne refused to rule out charges there either.

Should both of them be charged it would be a significant blow to one of the strongest positions on the Badgers roster in 2018. Both Cephus and Davis were expected to be starters coming off impressive fall camps and their performances on the field last season.

All of that pales in comparison to the seriousness of these charges though. Both the report from the charges and Cephus’ statement have strong wording behind them, and the legal process will likely need to play out before Cephus’ status with the team is ever really addressed.

Continue reading...

A couple of stupid young men who may well have destroyed their potential careers. I know... innocent until proven guilty. The fact is, just getting yourself in a compromising position is stupid. It's time to dump both off them, and move on. Let them go somewhere where poor judgement is acceptable. Let's hope there are guys who can step up and replace these two morons, so their stupidity doesn't decimate the team as well. Under no circumstances would I trust either of them again in the future.

A couple of stupid young men who may well have destroyed their potential careers. I know... innocent until proven guilty. The fact is, just getting yourself in a compromising position is stupid. It's time to dump both off them, and move on. Let them go somewhere where poor judgement is acceptable. Let's hope there are guys who can step up and replace these two morons, so their stupidity doesn't decimate the team as well. Under no circumstances would I trust either of them again in the future.

Well its not the first time poor judgment has been around the program. Monte Ball, Brett Moss, Corey Clement to name a few and those are the ones we know about. Its pretty common knowledge that before kids get thrown in the slammer coaches are called to "defuse" the situation before it gets public. As to the Davis situation let it play out, way to early to judge

I know these are young men who often have sex on the mind but you have to think with your head on your shoulders not the one in your pants.

Well its not the first time poor judgment has been around the program. Monte Ball, Brett Moss, Corey Clement to name a few and those are the ones we know about. Its pretty common knowledge that before kids get thrown in the slammer coaches are called to "defuse" the situation before it gets public. As to the Davis situation let it play out, way to early to judge

There's so damned much temptation out there for a young man. Having played sports, and been good at it, I saw the offers myself. I also saw them constantly, when I was in the military, and as a police officer. You just have to keep your head on straight, and remember that everything you are, and have, can disappear with one stupid decision. It just isn't worth taking that step.

After I got married, when some lady hit on me, I'd tell her I thought we could have a lot of fun. But first, I had to call my wife and ask her if she thought it was okay. It discouraged a lot of them. ;)

Back