Bobby Portis opts out

TW

Reaction score
Portis opted out of the $3.8 mill player option for 2022 with the Bucks. He's going to test free agency. Now, the Bucks could offer him a Taxpayer contract that would be just under $5.9 mill, but chances are, Bobby is going to get more than that from someone who needs the kind of energy he brought to the Bucks in 2021.

He will be missed. Just watching him play was exhilarating.

Portis opted out of the $3.8 mill player option for 2022 with the Bucks. He's going to test free agency. Now, the Bucks could offer him a Taxpayer contract that would be just under $5.9 mill, but chances are, Bobby is going to get more than that from someone who needs the kind of energy he brought to the Bucks in 2021.

He will be missed. Just watching him play was exhilarating.
I’m not convinced he’s gone. He can take the exception and next year gets early “Bird Rights” so short term pain for longer term gain.

Reactions: TW
He's going to get more then he can get from MKE on a contract

And here is sand teams need to evaluate with Portis
  • He is a career 10-14 PPG guy and 4-6 RPG. That good but not someone I give 25-35 minutes per game over 82 games
  • He is not a rim protector even with his size
  • He is at best an average defender who can’t guard a 3 or stretch 4. See Brooklyn series and some issues vs Phoenix
  • He really improved his 3 ball this year. Is that an outlier or can you bet on that
  • Yes he brings energy but can he maintain that over 82 games vs a playoff run
  • He’s a good role guy and locker room guy. That’s not debatable

• He is a career 10-14 PPG guy and 4-6 RPG. That good but not someone I give 25-35 minutes per game over 82 games
  • He is at best an average defender who can’t guard a 3 or stretch 4. See Brooklyn series and some issues vs Phoenix
  • He really improved his 3 ball this year. Is that an outlier or can you bet on that
Only will take a couple teams with cap space to get into a bidding war to over pay the guy. He had a big playoffs comig off title win some team might overvalue him because of that. Would ot be first time.

I think this is a dead on assessment of what Portis brings to the table. I totally understand that should limit his earning potential. But, in this crazy world of the NBA, and free agent movement, there's a reasonable chance some team is going to over-spend to grab him. It seems to be the "in thing" to do for some reason.

Only will take a couple teams with cap space to get into a bidding war to over pay the guy. He had a big playoffs comig off title win some team might overvalue him because of that. Would ot be first time.
Fit is critical. He’s just limited and while he played well vs Phoenix teams also saw the Brooklyn series and his the rest of his sample size. You don’t get into bidding war for a rotational bench guy.

I think this is a dead on assessment of what Portis brings to the table. I totally understand that should limit his earning potential. But, in this crazy world of the NBA, and free agent movement, there's a reasonable chance some team is going to over-spend to grab him. It seems to be the "in thing" to do for some reason.
If he was 22-23 years old I think someone gambles on his upside. Now? Not sure

Back