Countdown to camp: No. 3 running back must emerge

Everyone's high on Crockett and Neal, but I think they just go with Lacy and Starks. Those scrubs are nothing special, imo. They also have similar skill sets to the guys we already have.

IMHO, Montgomery and Cobb could do time as RBs if needed, as could Kuhn. Then there's also Quarless, who is an H-back type.

These youngsters will really have to show something to make the 53, as positions are going to be at a premium. 3 QBs this year, 6 WRs, a plethora of DBs and possibly extra Dlinemen, particularly at the beginning of the year while the suspensions are gonna be hashed out. Just don't see extra room for these guys.

Agree that Montgomery and Cobb will get some of the touches out of the backfield. Maybe less for Cobb since Montgomery offers more size out of the backfield. I think we'll keep one more and I think it's going to be Neal. Crockett can get a season of PS. Gives us a nice situation heading into the next season with Eddie's contract coming up. I think it's going to be 3 RBs, 1 FB (sans Kuhn) 3 TEs and 6 WRs.

I actually think Neal could be a pretty good scrub. He was looking solid in camp last year and should have beaten out Harris if he hadn't gotten hurt. I think Neal might surprise us.

Everyone's high on Crockett and Neal, but I think they just go with Lacy and Starks. Those scrubs are nothing special, imo. They also have similar skill sets to the guys we already have.

IMHO, Montgomery and Cobb could do time as RBs if needed, as could Kuhn. Then there's also Quarless, who is an H-back type.

These youngsters will really have to show something to make the 53, as positions are going to be at a premium. 3 QBs this year, 6 WRs, a plethora of DBs and possibly extra Dlinemen, particularly at the beginning of the year while the suspensions are gonna be hashed out. Just don't see extra room for these guys.

I agree with your roster breakdown at the end there, between AR's dominance and Lacy's workhorse status there are limited snaps for a #2 RB, let alone a #3 - I'm just not as high on Starks. He's in the last year of a contract at a non-premium position and this is a team that always likes to get younger and cheaper. It'll be a battle in camp but if one of those guys shows the ability to pass block and/or catch the ball consistently I can see them moving on from Starks. And if not, he sticks around one more year.

If the Packers keep 3 RB I think Starks makes it unless he gets hurt. Can't see the Packers keeping 2 UDFA as the backups. Starks provides leadership and knows the offense. Though I do agree this will be his last year as I can't see him being resigned.

[BCOLOR=#fbfbff]Agree that Lacy has been a workhorse, BUT, he's had a concussion each of his first 2 seasons. What happens if the next one knocks him out for several games. While it might be possible from a roster perspective to go with 2 and have one on the PS, the risk is that some team comes calling at the worst possible time and now you lose your PS guy and then you get a RB injured and you are prowling the street FAs for help. Given the mediocre depth at TE and OL, it would be easy to keep 3xRB for the offensive side of the ball.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#fbfbff]As for re-signing Starks, I never say never. That's the beauty of the NFL. If someone throws money at him, pass. If he's out there and doesn't draw much interest, offer him something close to vets minumum with not much bonus. Bring him to camp, if he's not among the best 3, cut him and move on and you aren't out much if anything.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#fbfbff]Not saying I favor re-signing, just that unlike MLB and NBA, there isn't much risk in signing these borderline guys.[/BCOLOR]

Back