Draft Preview

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Go Long draft preview part 1, Offense

The combine gave us Anthony Richardson’s all-time quarterback workout, a squadron of superfast cornerbacks and Dan Campbell telling the truth.

“I guess there is somewhat of a spectacle,” Campbell, the coach of the Detroit Lions, said during his obligatory podium appearance in Indianapolis. “But to me, you grade them off the tape. You don’t grade them off somebody out here in pajamas, running the 40 with no defender around. The meetings are really pivotal. All the other stuff? Whatever.”

In this two-part series examining the projected top 55 players in the NFL draft, personnel people offered their evaluations of players a week or two before the combine. Their comments were based almost exclusively on their exposure to players in both live looks and tape study.

My rankings, arranged in order within each position, were influenced to an extent by results from the combine. For example, 40-yard dash times always will play a critical role in stacking prospects at cornerback and wide receiver, among other positions. But remember, when these scouts were interviewed, they had almost no verified 40 times on any players in addition to no verified heights and weights on underclassmen.

This projected top-55 will lead to my NFL Draft Series, which I’ve been assembling annually since 1985.

That nine-part series can be found only at GoLongTD.com, for paid subscribers.

The series will begin about 10 days before the draft, which is scheduled April 27-29.

These rankings can and will change significantly over the next seven weeks as teams monitor pro-day workouts and obtain missing 40 times, testing results, medical information and character evaluation. Heights were rounded to the nearest half-inch; quarter measurements were rounded down (6-2 ¼ to 6-2, 6-2 ¾ to 6-2 ½).

OFFENSE (29)

Wide receivers (6)

Quentin Johnston, Texas Christian (6-3, 208): Third-year junior. Production increased each season. “This is not a good group this year,” said one scout. “After Johnston, it just drops off. Most years, there’s an abundance of them. Where are these guys? … Johnston is big, fast, strong, acrobatic. Makes some spectacular catches. He’s up there by himself, and then it drops off.” Didn’t run the 40 at the combine but came through with a vertical jump of 40 ½ inches and an 11-2 broad jump. “I don’t know if he’s top 10, but maybe,” said a second scout. “Unless he does something horrible between now and then he’s kind of head-and-shoulders above these other guys. Really good feet for a big guy. He’s got RAC (run after the catch). Ball skills were a little inconsistent. He’ll let it into his chest. Doesn’t always catch it in the air.” Caught six passes for 163 yards in CFP semifinal victory over Michigan. “My comparison was Tee Higgins,” said a third scout. “For a long, tall receiver he has (a) little man’s movement skills. That really impressed me. He has some drops he shouldn’t have but he’s my top receiver.” Arms measured a long 33 5/8 inches. “He can run now,” a fourth scout said. “He can run straight across the field on over routes. That’s where most of his big plays happen when he can run straight-line routes. But being able to get in and out of breaks and separate, he struggles with all that. He’s stiff. And for a big guy he doesn’t have good hands. But everybody else is little. He’s the one guy with size. He’ll go first round.”

Josh Downs, North Carolina (5-9, 191): Tremendous two-year production. “You talk about a dynamic athlete that can run and has excellent feet,” one scout said. “Good luck covering that guy in a short area. Not the biggest guy, but plays bigger than he is. He’ll be a good slot receiver, so (it’s) wherever you value that guy. Clean character. He’s got to put up good enough testing numbers at his size, but I think he will.” At Indy, Downs helped himself with a 4.48 40, a 38 ½ vertical jump and a 10-11 broad jump. “They used him on a lot of hitches and curls,” a second scout said. “Excellent speed and quickness. Good hands. I’m not sure how explosive he is. Lot of short routes there.” One of the top punt returners in the draft. “Good little player but just no explosiveness at all,” said a third scout. “They scheme the hell out of him with all the little gadget stuff they do to get him open. He runs the little herky-jerky, little route stuff. He’s not a crisp route runner. He does his own thing kind of to get open, which doesn’t really transfer well up here.”

Jordan Addison, Southern California (5-11, 173): Departed Pittsburgh after catching 160 passes in 2020-’21. Production dipped for the Trojans before he declared a year early. “He’s my No. 1 (wideout),” said one scout. “He’s little but he’s electric. Has confidence. Explosive routes, natural feel. He can cut. He can catch. I don’t think he has that top-end speed that really scares you but he’s a slick, good playmaker. Normally, you’d want this guy at the bottom of the first. I just love to watch him. But that’s always scary for those little dudes if you can’t blow the top off and scare guys.” Ran 4.49 in Indy with marginal jumps of 34 (vertical) and 10-2 (broad jump). “He’s a little bit lean for the outside,” a second scout said. “He’s not super strong but he’s a great athlete with great ball skills. He doesn’t have elite speed for a guy his size but he’s got good functional speed. Really knows how to run routes.” Tiny hands (8 ¾). “I thought USC had one or two receivers that were actually better than him,” said a third scout. “He’s quicker than fast. Strictly a slot. I didn’t see explosion.”

Zay Flowers, Boston College (5-9, 182): BC’s career leader in receptions (200), receiving yards (3,056) and receiving touchdowns (29). “Dynamic speed, explosive after the catch, good ball skills,” one scout said. “Doesn’t play big. More of an outside guy because he’s flat-out fast. He loves football but he’s a guy you have to keep there like year-round. His family’s a drain on him. He doesn’t always do what he’s supposed to do.” A 3-star recruit from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Has 13 siblings. “I liked him more than Addison,” said a second scout. “I think he’s a 4.4 guy. Only thing about him is his size.” Clocked 4.42 at the combine with a vertical of 35 ½ and a broad jump of 10-7. “He’s a good little player but there’s just nothing special to him,” said a third scout. “If you’re that small you better be explosive. He’s a little possession guy without any magic.” In 2022, he scored 13 on the Wonderlic test.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State (6-0 ½, 196): His third of three seasons in Columbus was ended by a hamstring injury after two games and five receptions. “He didn’t play this year,” said one scout. “Biggest question on him is his speed. He’s a really good route runner. Makes a lot of catches inside and across the middle. Very smart and savvy. He can get deep because of his route-running ability, whether it’s a double move or a little shake. Just don’t know how fast he is.” At the combine, he said the hamstring was 100% but put off running a 40 until pro day. His times in both the short shuttle (3.93) and 3-cone (6.57) led the wideouts. “He’s a good slot possession receiver,” said a second scout. “Not ultra-quick or ultra-fast. He’s 4.5ish.” He made an indelible impression in the Rose Bowl against Utah with 15 receptions for 347 and three touchdowns. “Basically, you go on one game,” said a third scout. “He played the slot and was the No. 3 option last year. He was the guy that ran the short routes. Utah didn’t have a very good defense. He was sensational. I estimated 4.5.” Vertical jump of 35, broad jump of 10-5. “He’s one of the most overrated guys in the draft,” said a fourth scout. “He’s a good football player but he can’t run. He’s not really elusive with the ball in his hands. He can find holes in zones, and he’s tough. Has to be a slot. Not fast enough to play outside.” Hands were 9.

Jonathan Mingo, Mississippi (6-1 ½, 220): Suffered a Jones fracture in his left foot and missed seven games in 2021 before having his best season as a senior. “He’s strong and tough with the ball in his hands,” one scout said. “Had wow catches. He’s not a No. 1 (receiver) but he’s probably a really good No. 2. He can play outside and in the slot. It’d be really good if you get him in the second round.” Ran an top-notch 40 (4.46) for his size to go with a vertical jump of 39 ½ and a 10-9 broad jump. “Good run-after-the-catch player with strength, contact balance and vision to create extra,” said a second scout. “Solid blocker. Flashes nasty to finish. Inconsistent hands. Flashes ability to make acrobatic catches but too often dropped the easy ones.” Managed 22 reps on the bench press, second most at the position. Large hands (10 3/8). “Routes not impressive,” a third scout said. “Had some crucial drops. Has size and toughness.” Wonderlic of 20 in 2022.

Tight ends (5)

Dalton Kincaid, Utah (6-4, 246): When tight end Brant Kuithe suffered a season-ending knee injury Sept. 24, Kincaid didn’t squander his opportunity. “This guy had to become their primary guy and ended up catching 70 passes,” one scout said. “He’s an H-back. He runs short and intermediate routes like (Michael) Mayer. He’s a good athlete and catches the ball well. He had a huge game against USC the first game, not the (Pac-12) championship game.” Hauled in 16 receptions for 234 yards and one TD in the Utes’ 43-42 victory in the regular season. “That game really put him on the map,” said another scout. “He’s not a blocker although he gives some effort, but really a good receiver. Athletic mismatch guy. Going to run well.” Didn’t test at the combine. “Love this guy,” said a third scout. “He can do it all. A natural, natural receiver. I don’t want to throw (Travis) Kelce around but the routes, the hands, the feel, the separation … he’s an awesome receiver and a good blocker. He puts his face in there. He’s sticky enough. Whatever the money down is, he’s getting the ball.” Played 24 games at San Diego before departing and playing 31 for Utah. “I don’t think he’s top-10,” said a fourth scout. “He’s definitely got a chance to go in the first. He is a mismatch nightmare. Not powerful as a blocker but his effort is really good. He’ll try. He’s just not strong. How many Pro Bowl and Hall of Fame tight ends are blockers? Especially not in this day and age.” Wonderlic of 28 in 2022.
Michael Mayer, Notre Dame (6-4 ½, 249): Two scouts said he was a better prospect than Cole Kmet, another Irish tight end that went to the Bears in the second round in 2020. “He’s a better athlete and a better, more consistent blocker,” said one scout. “I liked Kmet but this guy’s a much better player. He has a high floor. He won’t fail.” Mayer left South Bend after three seasons with 180 receptions, third on the Irish’s all-time list. “He’s probably the best (tight end),” said a second scout. “He’s the most complete. Good route runner. Functional blocker. Very good hands. Very good in contested situations. Has good enough speed. I don’t think he’s a vertical threat down the seam. I don’t know if he’ll be a Pro Bowler but solid across the board.” Clocked 4.70, vertical jump of 32 ½ and broad jump of 9-10. “Everything he does is average,” a third scout said. “He’s kind of lumbering when he moves around. The blocking is average. As a receiver, he’s a zone guy. He’s not going to beat man or be a playmaker. Cole Kmet? Just put in the mix with those dudes, same jersey number and stick him on the team.”

Luke Musgrave, Oregon State (6-6, 253): Suffered a season-ending knee injury after catching 11 passes for 169 yards in the first two games. He returned to play in the Senior Bowl. “In those first two games I was shocked,” one scout said. “I had never heard much about the guy. He’s the second-best blocker behind Mayer.” Ran fast (4.61) at the combine with a vertical jump of 36 and a 10-5 broad jump. “Him and Kincaid would be a pretty good race,” a second scout said. “He has vertical push. His ball skills can look very good. They can also look like he’s never caught a football. Hand placement, catch fundamentals are very inconsistent. He’s not gifted as a route runner and he’s very out of control. Not a very good blocker. But he is fast. He has not played a ton of football so there is definitely up side. He’s the same level of talent as (Luke) Schoonmaker but Schoonmaker is much safer. Same value of player.” Hands were 10 3/8. “He doesn’t have much body of work at all,” a third scout said. “Usually I kind of write those guys off. He’s super talented. Just a loose, natural athlete. The blocking is terrible. He’s not going to be a blocker. You’ve got to live with that.” Wonderlic of 30 in 2022.

Darnell Washington, Georgia (6-6 ½, 264): A 5-star recruit played more effectively each of his three seasons. “It all depends how he works out,” said one scout. “He showed some pretty unique stuff on tape. Has some unique movement and run-after skills for a guy that big. Most Y’s don’t do what he does. His football character is also questionable. He has immature life skills. He’s a 5-star kind of guy that’s kind of been pampered his whole life. It’s going to be an adjustment.” Listed at 280 by Georgia, he was 16 pounds lighter in Indy and ran 4.64. His jumps were ordinary but his arm length (34 3/8) and hand size (11) were outstanding. “He made the biggest jump from last fall to this fall of any player I saw,” a second scout said. “He’s developed his hands. In certain packages he’ll start as a rookie. I think he’s going to play for a long time. Now he's not that quick cut receiver. He’s too big for that. He’s just a hell of a target and he’s smart enough. He just walls people off.” Described by a third scout as a more athletic Marcedes Lewis when he entered the NFL in 2006. “Stiff in the lower (body) so that limits everything he can do as far as a receiver and blocking,” a fourth scout said. “I thought about maybe moving the guy to tackle but he isn’t that good of a blocker. He’ll be limited as a blocker just because of his flexibility limitations. He is not athletic at all.”

Luke Schoonmaker, Michigan (6-5, 251): Played just 17 games (no starts) from 2018-’20 before starting 21 of 26 games in 2021-’22. “The whole thing is, can he run?” one scout said. “I don’t think he can. I thought he was 4.85. He got hurt toward the end and another guy (Colston Loveland) came in to play and there was no comparison. He’s a guy you want on your team but I didn’t see anything special about him.” Ran surprisingly fast (4.63) at the combine. His broad jump of 10-7 was second best among tight ends, and his vertical was a respectable 33 ½. “He could creep up,” a second scout said. “Maybe top 50. That might be a little rich but he’s pretty good. He’s not special but he’s above average in terms of speed, feet, athletic ability. Pretty good blocker. He’s a lesser version of Mayer. Safe (pick).” A 3-star prospect from Hamden, Conn. “Long, build-to-speed strider with good speed to threaten vertically,” a third scout said. “Physical through press and tight coverage. Flashes some savvy as a route runner. Adequate separation quickness. More of a steady, sure-handed possession option. Ideal physical skill set combined with toughness and instincts.”

Offensive line (9)

Broderick Jones, T, Georgia (6-5 ½, 311): Third-year junior. Made four starts at left tackle in 2021 before starting there in ’22 for the two-time national champions. “Debatably, he’s the top guy,” one scout said. “They’ve had a lot of guys so he hasn’t played a ton. His (mistakes) all are really correctable. Just inconsistent with his body positioning and his hand use and angles to attack in space. He’s an easy mover. Light on his feet. He’s physical. He’s strong. He shows he can be mean. He’s long, which helps him sustain blocks. He can kind of do everything. You’re taking a little bit of risk on the kid. He’s got some immaturity to him. Like a lot of these Georgia guys, a lot of talent but maybe not the greatest football character.” Ran a 4.97 40 with a 30-inch vertical and a 9-0 broad ump. “Got a lot of technical shit to clean up and he doesn’t finish plays, but he’s a really good foot athlete,” said a second scout. “He’s got a ways to go but there aren’t any of them (tackles). He’ll go late first probably. Just still raw and green.” Arms were 34 ¾, hands were 10 5/8. “When guys edge-rushed him he got a little bit top-heavy,” a third scout said. “Low hand carry; that can be coached. He can really pull and move and block in space. Needs to play stronger and improve his hand use. Guard might be his best position. I really didn’t care for him, but the more I watched him he is a big-time athlete.”

Dawand Jones, T, Ohio State (6-8, 374): Made a token appearance at the Senior Bowl, practicing on the first day only, before calling it a week. But what a two-hour impression he made. “No one could move that guy,” said one scout. “Hard to get around even though he might not have the ideal foot quickness. His length is incredible. For as big as he is, he didn’t look fat at the Senior Bowl. That one day was impressive.” Two-year starter at right tackle. “He’s a better athlete than Orlando Brown,” a second scout said. “You can see the basketball player in him. He is the best one out of the whole bunch (of offensive linemen). Whether he becomes the best one I can’t say for sure. He’s got weight problems. Lazy. Kind of just getting by. Can you imagine how good this guy would be if he had amazing makeup?” His 5.35 clocking was more than respectable for a player of that size. His arm and hand measurements were incredible (36 3/8, 11 5/8). “He is gigantic,” a third scout said. “Just because he’s so damn big and his arms are so long, that’s how he wins. He gets in the way and is productive. Zach Banner was so big and had those limitations, too, and he just kind of bounced around. He doesn’t move very well. He does stay on his feet for the most part but reaching guys, adjusting, space, slide, all that he just struggles to do that.” Wonderlic of 11 in 2022.

Anton Harrison, T, Oklahoma (6-4 ½, 315): Third-year junior. “He’s got to be a left tackle,” one scout said. “Good feet in pass pro. Needs to get stronger in the run game. Has enough feet and athletic ability to play the left side.” Ran fast (4.98) but didn’t distinguish himself in the vertical jump (28 ½) and broad jump (8-9). Two scouts said he showed marked improvement as a player in 2022. “At worst, he’s bottom third of the first round,” said a second scout. “Not a consistent finisher. His technique can be a little bit inconsistent. But he’s athletic, got quick feet, got quick hands, good in space. Plays a little high sometimes is what his issue is. He’s too good of an athlete to do it; it’s more undisciplined than an athletic limitation. He has a pretty good anchor despite a higher set. He’s probably not quite to the level of (Broderick) Jones, but he’s close.” Arms were 34 1/8, hands were 9 ¼. “He just knows how to play,” said a third scout. “Guys that really know how to play, they’re going to make it and they last and they play well. The hand use, the punch, he’s patient. Not elite with his feet and movement and athletic ability but good enough in all those areas.”

Peter Skoronski, T-G-C, Northwestern (6-4, 313): Often compared to former Wildcat LT Rashawn Slater (6-4, 304, 4.91, 33 arms, 10 ½ hands), the No. 13 pick by the Chargers in 2021. “We don’t think he’s Rashawn Slater, who is an undersized left tackle but a freak-show athlete,” one scout said. “This kid’s a good player but he’s not at that level. He can also play center because he’s really smart. I thought he’d be a better center than guard. Lack of length shows up at tackle. He’s not a power guy. He’s more of a finesse, athletic technician. He’s not soft but he’s just not a nasty guy.” Arms were merely 32 ¼, hands were 10. “He’s the best offensive lineman,” another scout said. “Dominant run and pass blocker. In 2021, he did an excellent job against Aidan Hutchinson and the guy from Purdue, George Karlaftis. That sold me on him more than anything this year. He can play guard without any problems. Strong lower body. Gets to the second level. This guy’s nasty. I don’t write that very often but he gets people on the ground.” His 40 time was a slow 5.16. His jumps (vertical of 34 ½, broad of 9-7) ranked second best among the offensive linemen. “He’s a physical run blocker and he can move his feet in pass protection,” said a third scout. “He was right up there with Slater in movement skills. (David) Bakhtiari got dinged a little bit for his arm length (34). Skoronski is the top offensive lineman.” He was Northwestern’s first unanimous All-America selection. Thirty reps on the bench press.
Paris Johnson, T, Ohio State (6-6, 313): A 5-star recruit and the nation’s No. 1 tackle out of Cincinnati in 2020. “Probably the best true left tackle,” one scout said. “He got better through the year. He can be physical in the run game and he’s athletic. Needs some technique work. I don’t know if he’s a top-10 pick but he’s in that 10 to 20 range. There’s just too many teams that need left tackles.” Third-year junior. Started at right guard in 2021 and at left tackle in ’22. “He is so up and down,” said a second scout. “It’s all there but there’s no consistency. Needs to play stronger and more physical. He pushes. Soft hands. If you can get through to him he certainly has the size and I thought he had long arms.” Arms were a king-sized 36 1/8, hands an unusually small 9 ½. “I don’t see it with this guy,” a third scout said. “Decent athlete, nothing special. He’s inconsistent. Technique is off. Falls off a lot of stuff. Just real hit or miss. Just a work in progress. Unlike (Broderick) Jones, who has tons of natural athletic ability, I see this dude as just an average sort of talent. He’s not (real tough). He’s not impressive.” Made Big Ten all-academic. Bench-pressed 29 times. “I thought the kid last year (Nicholas Petit-Frere) was better,” a fourth scout said. “He’s not powerful. I didn’t see left-tackle feet.”

Matthew Bergeron, T-G, Syracuse (6-5, 318): Made five starts at right tackle in 2019 before starting for 2 ½ seasons at left tackle. “I’d try him first at right tackle,” one scout said. “I think he could be a really good starting right tackle and could probably be an All-Pro guard, and he could play left tackle and be pretty good. He is definitely top 50. He’s strong and he’s mean. Good combination of athleticism and strength. He’s got that grit that you like. There’s going to be a little bit of a learning curve. Canadian. Kid loves football. Good worker. I don’t know if he goes one but he’s a slam-dunk two.” First player from his high school in Victoriaville, Quebec to receive a football scholarship from an NCAA Division I school. “He certainly has the size and the arm length,” another scout said. “Athletic and mobile. Strength is OK. Good quickness. Has nice feet. Left tackle. He just wasn’t a powerful person.” Arms were 33 ¾, hands were just 9 ½.

O’Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida (6-5, 330): Started at Louisiana for three seasons before transferring to an SEC school in 2022. “He’s a Day One starter – as soon as he walks in the door,” said one scout. “Massive man. Guard only. He’s big, strong, athletic enough. May fit better in a gap scheme than a zone scheme. First round.” Clocked 5.31. His vertical jump (23 ½) was awful; his broad jump was fine (8-5). Managed just 23 reps on the bench press. “He is a power-oriented guard but he doesn’t move bad for a big guy,” one scout said. “Really strong, can anchor. Good player. Plays on his feet. Really heavy-handed. Needs to work on his hand use as far as placement and maximizing his length. But if he hits you he’s got a powerful punch. He is a good second-round player on talent, particularly if you run a power scheme.” Arms were 33 7/8, hands were a supersized 11 ¼. “Just a big tough guy,” said a third scout. “Plays right guard. Not a fluid foot guy. Just a mauler. Tough, competitive mauler with athletic limitations. Similar to (Will Hernandez), but this guy has more feel to him than Hernandez. Ideally, he’d be a backup guy and maybe grind out some stuff as a starter. Nobody that will impact your team.” Wonderlic of 18 in 2022.

Steve Avila, G-C, Texas Christiann (6-3 ½, 332): Fifth-year senior. Redshirted in 2018, backup in ’19, started at three different positions in ’20, started at center in ’21 and at left guard in ’22 for the national runner-up. “I don’t think he’s smart enough to play center,” one scout said. “He’s a third-round guy at guard. He’s a little overweight. He should lose about 15 (pounds). Better in a zone scheme.” Ran OK for his size (5.21) with a vertical jump of 29 ½ and a broad jump of 8-2. Bench press of 28. “He had a real good week down there (at the Senior Bowl),” said a second scout. “He stuck out to me. Multi-position guy. Played guard, center and tackle. He’ll be best at guard. Massive, athletic kid.” Made two starts at right tackle in 2020. “He was dominant in Senior Bowl one-on-one’s in practice,” said a third scout. “No one could move him. No one could get around him. Can bend. Good with his hands. He’s really strong. He doesn’t look great on the hoof. TCU is not a lean mass team so whatever you show up at that’s your playing weight. They like ‘em bigger a little bit. He’ll be a good pro. He could start at center or guard because he’s really strong. Second round.”

Cody Mauch, C-G, North Dakota State (6-5, 302): Redshirted in 2017, backed up in 2018-’19 and started from 2020-’22. “He was always a left tackle,” said one scout. “He got better every day in Mobile and then he played some tackle in the game. Second round.” In fact, he saw action at all five positions in the Senior Bowl game. Arms were just 32 3/8 at the combine after they were measured at 32 1/8 in Mobile. “Thing that’s disappointing about him is his arm length,” a second scout said. “I don’t know what the heck you’re going to do. He was a good player. In the game against Arizona (Sept. 17), which was the big-time team they played, he was a dominant player. Second-level quickness. Smooth pass blocker. This guy can be a guard, no problem. He’s everything you want against the competition there. Only thing I had against him was his arm length.” Ran 5.08. Bench press of 29. “He’s on that third round-fourth round edge, anyway,” a third scout said. “He ain’t nothing special at all.” His 2022 Wonderlic score was 29.

Quarterbacks (5)

Bryce Young, Alabama (5-10, 204): Backed up Mac Jones in 2020, won the Heisman Trophy in ’21 and displayed come-from-behind magic in ’22. “Just put the Texas game on,” one scout said. “He won the Texas game by himself. That’s the thing Brett Favre had over many, many others: he could bring his team from behind in college. In college, he did it repeatedly. This is a phenomenal kid. Other than small, that’s the only knock he has. He’s smart as shit, a natural passer, can run. He’s got all the intangibles. I’d take Bryce Young (with the No. 1 pick) if I was the Bears.” Measured 5-10 1/8 at the combine; in 2012, Russell Wilson was 5-10 5/8 and 205 before being drafted in the third round by Seattle. “He and Wilson are the same types of guys,” another scout said. “Really smart players. Competitors. When the game’s on the line they make plays. (Young) makes great decisions. Stays in the pocket but has the athletic ability to get outside and make plays if he has to. Only negative is his size.” For his size, his hands measured a large 9 ¾. “He’s got it all,” said a third scout. “He’s just little so if you take him you’ve got to live with it. Everybody’s pretty much hurt nowadays, no matter what your size is. Josh Allen gets hurt and he’s a giant. He has the anticipation, the vision, the arm is live.” Those that have watched Young from the sidelines marvel at his ability to see through the trees. “He never really has any balls batted at the line of scrimmage,” a fourth scout said. “Some of the throws he makes, it’s, like, ‘How did he see that guy?’ Anticipatory thrower. Strong enough arm. He’s like the ultimate point guard of an offense.”

C.J. Stroud, Ohio State (6-3, 214): Like Young, he’s a third-year junior. “Reminds me of (Patrick) Mahomes. First time I ever compared anybody to Mahomes,” said one scout. “He’s about the same size as Mahomes (6-2, 225); Mahomes ran a 4.8 (4.81) but I think this guy might be a little bit faster. If I was Chicago I’d trade (Justin) Fields and take this guy.” Stroud’s performance in the CFP semifinals “was one of the best performances I’ve seen,” the scout continued. “He was missing a first-round running back (TreVeyon Henderson) and his first-round receiver (Marvin Harrison) got hurt in the third quarter. He just put them on his back. You look at that Georgia game, you can see he can play outside the pocket, too.” Two-time Heisman finalist. “What did he do all the way up to that (Georgia) game?” a second scout said. “He’s like that guy the Bears got (Fields). He’s a better athlete than he is a quarterback. He’s not a good enough passer to last.” Compared by a third scout to the late Dwayne Haskins, the former Buckeyes quarterback drafted No. 15 by Washington in 2019. “I don’t like bringing that up but he’s Haskins,” said a third scout. “Haskins might have been better than this guy. It was the off-the-field stuff with Haskins, the (lack of) work ethic. People say, ‘Don’t compare Ohio State quarterbacks.’ No, there are comparisons to be made. They run the same offense and they’re very programmed. One read. Stroud’s very deliberate, very streaky. He’s not a playmaker when he has to get out of trouble. He played 30 other games besides the Georgia game. Where had it been? … This guy is a very quiet, introverted personality. He’s going to be a top-5 pick and he is not a top-5 pick.” Hands were 10.

Will Levis, Kentucky (6-4, 229): Earned a degree in finance after three seasons as the backup at Penn State. Posted a 17-7 record in two years as the starter for the Wildcats. “You have to watch ’21 tape on him,” one scout said. “(Last year) wasn’t very good. He had a crap offensive line and young receivers. He had a new offensive coordinator. Not trying to make excuses for him. He’s got a strong arm. Good athlete. Needs to show better touch at times. There’s just something off in his game this year. He’s got to cut down on his interceptions and use better decision-making. He opted out of their bowl game supposedly because of his toe. He didn’t show up for the Senior Bowl. Those are red flags. He’s got a lot to prove everybody wrong.” Didn’t run at the combine but did well in the vertical jump (34) and broad jump (10-4). “He is physically talented, has good mechanics and has a good arm,” said a second scout. “He’ll be 24 his first NFL season. Mainly a pocket passer. Threw a lot of interceptions (25 career). He doesn’t excite me that much.” Earned a master’s degrees in December. “He has no feel at all,” a third scout said. “No vision, no pocket poise. He has no clue the rush is coming and he gets wrecked in there. He’s one read. Not accurate. He does have a live arm. Wonderful. He doesn’t escape pressure. Tons of injuries. He’s a project.” Hands were 10 5/8. Wonderlic of 29 in 2022.

Anthony Richardson, Florida (6-4, 244): Redshirted in 2019, backed up for two years and started in 2022. “Florida had a bad season, and this guy was the reason they had a bad season,” said one scout. “He was so inconsistent. But at the combine he’ll have the strongest arm there and people will get all excited about him. He’ll be a workout wonder.” Richardson posted numbers seldom, if ever posted in a workout by a quarterback: a 4.43 40, a 40 ½ vertical jump and a 10-9 broad jump. “He’s a raw athlete,” a second scout said. “He’s got a little Vince Young in him. I’m sure he’s a better kid, and smarter. He’s a freak athlete but he’s a long way away as an NFL passer. I mean, a long way away. You’re rolling some big dice if you take him in the first round, or you have a lot of rocks in your head.” Made the All-SEC academic team. “He cannot play quarterback,” said a third scout. “He is as raw as raw can be. His delivery is like he’s never thrown a football before. He’s not accurate. He’ll have a couple wow plays just running around but he isn’t even that special running around. He doesn’t know when to run and when not to run. Ten times he just chucks it up into coverage against the one time it actually looks good. Guys like this don’t change.” Hands were 10 ½.
Hendon Hooker, Tennessee (6-3, 217): Turned 25 in January after spending four years at Virginia Tech and two in Knoxville. “The guy knows how to play,” said one scout. “Poise, command, quick eyes, vision. He’s accurate. He’s got touch. His arm is good. He’s a good enough athlete. Little awkward the way he runs. He can get out of trouble. He has a better football mind and vision than Stroud. He’s better short-to-intermediate; sometimes deep stuff gets him. By no means is he a franchise-changer. But he’s going to be a solid starter.” Started 15 of 19 games for the Hokies in 2019-’20. At Tennessee, he replaced Joe Milton early in 2021 and posted a 15-7 record in his 22 starts. “He really came on this year,” a second scout said. “He became more of a pocket guy this year. His game is still outside the pocket. Physically gifted, strong arm. His touch was just OK. With the knee he’ll probably miss the first part of the season.” Suffered a torn left ACL Nov. 19 at South Carolina. Was a 1,000-point scorer in basketball as a prep in Greensboro, N.C. Hands were 10 ½.

Running backs (4)

Bijan Robinson, Texas (5-11, 215): Increased his rushing total from 703 yards in 2020 to 1,127 in ’21 to 1,580 in ’22. “Everyone compares him to Saquon Barkley,” one scout said. “Barkley reincarnated. He does everything. He can catch, has eyes, can run. He’s the most complete back. It’s the value you put on that position.” Put forth a fine combine with a 40 of 4.46, a vertical jump of 37 and a broad jump of 10-4. “Saquon could change the game in just one play,” a second scout said. “This guy does not have that. I do think he’s a better inside runner. Saquon doesn’t like it in there. He wants to bounce outside. This guy, you can sort of give him the ball a bunch and he knows how to create yards … everybody’s making him out to be Walter Payton. He reminded me of Le’Veon Bell, which is good. He’ll be a good player. I don’t see him as a difference-maker in the league.” First player in Arizona high-school history to win state player of the year honors twice. “Not fast but quick as shit and a great kid,” said a third scout. “He’s a Pro Bowl character kid. Catches well. Can play on three downs. Excellent feet, excellent vision. Just not a fast guy. Not a Pro Bowler for me.” Another scout compared him to Edgerrin James. “If you want a running back he’s a top-10 pick,” he said.
Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama (5-9, 199): Played two seasons at Georgia Tech before rushing for 926 at Alabama as a third-year junior. “He was the most explosive player that I saw this year,” said one scout. “He reminded me of (Christian) McCaffrey because he can run and catch. They spread him, slot him. He could make the team as a receiver. Plus, he’s an excellent kickoff returner. He didn’t have big yardage because they have three backs that play there. (Josh) Jacobs didn’t start there. This guy was the whole thing.” Recorded the second-fastest 40 among running backs (4.36). His vertical jump was a modest 33 ½. “Gets to top speed quickly,” a second scout said. “Runs hard. Can get the corner. He’s been through a lot in his life. He’s really overcome a lot. Really, really a good kid. Got a chance to be a really good pro.” Two other scouts compared him to Alvin Kamara. “He’ll be a 1b just because I don’t think he’s powerful,” another scout said. “He’s got to be in a rotation. Thing that sticks out the most is his receiving skills out of the backfield. I compared him to Kamara and McCaffrey and Dalvin Cook.”

Tyjae Spears, Tulane (5-10, 201): A 3-star recruit with eight siblings from Ponchatoula. La. “If he had played for Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, somebody like that, everybody would have said, ‘Wow. Wow. Wow,’” one scout said. “I don’t know how they got him at Tulane. He’s the second most explosive guy I saw this year. He reminded me of Reggie Bush. But he runs too hard for his size. That was the problem I had with Josh Jacobs when he came out. Good hands, too. Second round right now because of his size.” Didn’t run a 40 in Indy but impressed with a vertical jump of 39; his broad jump was 10-5. “He’s got some Warrick Dunn to him,” said a second scout. “Probably a little bigger than Warrick. He had a slam dunk at the Senior Bowl. He’s probably got the best make-miss of the group. The first guy rarely tackles this guy. Not great in pass pro but show me many college No. 1 backs that are. He does enough (as a pass blocker); he’ll be fine. He doesn’t have wow home-run speed but with his instincts he knows how to use every bit of speed that he has. He’ll be a really good second-round pick.” Large hands (10) for his size. Bench press of 18. “Just a good football player,” said a third scout. “But a backup. Would you have ever thought in your wildest dreams if I had told you last year Tulane was going to beat SC in the Cotton Bowl?” Spears carried 17 times for 205 yards and four TDs in the Green Wave’s 46-45 upset victory. His 2020 season was cut short after three games by a torn ACL.

Devon Achane, Texas A&M (5-8 ½, 188): Blazed a 4.32 clocking at the combine, the fastest by a running back. “He’ll run in the 4.3’s,” said one scout. “He can catch the living (bleep) out of it. He can be your third-down guy and he can return kickoffs. Don’t get me wrong. He’s a good football player. He’s tough. But there’s something … I just don’t know if I trust him totally off the field. He’s a weird kid. Kind of a loner.” Third-year junior improved from 364 rushing yards as a freshman to 910 as a sophomore to 1,102 as a junior. “(Bleep), he’s fast, and he runs hard for a small guy,” said a second scout. “Really quick jump cut. Good perimeter runner. He’s elusive. Good hands. He’s tough enough to block. It’s going to be size. He is a mismatch. More of a third-down receiver with some interesting value as a runner.” Tiny hands (8 ½). “He’s really a heck of a football player but I couldn’t give him more than a third-round (grade),” said a third scout. “He’s put together. He really runs hard. Explosive. Has pad level and finish. Strong for his size. He pass blocks; gets knocked over but he tries. Excellent speed. Ran 10.14 (100 meters), 20.22 (200 meters) and 6.63 (60 meters) at Texas A&M. Only problem he has is size.”

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https://substack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com/public/images/eea7dda7-e2b6-4a82-8ea3-7a5c165f98ba_2930x1751.jpeg

Part 2 Defense:

National Football League executives relish the years when their rewards for forgettable seasons are truly dominant players on the defensive side of the ball awaiting them at or very near the top of the draft.

You know, the can’t miss prospects from the past 15 drafts such as defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, No. 2, 2010; edge rusher Von Miller, No. 2, 2011; edge rusher Khalil Mack, No. 4, 2014; edge rusher Joey Bosa, No. 3, and cornerback Jalen Ramsey, No. 5, 2016; edge rusher Myles Garrett, No. 1, 2017; edge rusher Nick Bosa, No. 2, 2019, and edge rusher Chase Young, No. 2, 2020.

Every one of those eight players turned out to be as good if not better than advertised.

What the personnel men ruefully remembered were the draft classes in which the first defender selected turned out to a disappointment or even a bust. Those names included defensive end Tyson Jackson, No. 3, 2009; edge rusher Dion Jordan, No. 3, 2013, and edge rusher Dante Fowler, No. 3, 2015.

Which leads us to 2023, a draft in which most but not all of the teams owning a top-5 selection are eyeing a quarterback. At some point, however, a defensive player will be taken, and when he does there will exist considerable consternation about the merits of that player.

“You’ve got to pick somebody,” one executive said last week. “That’s what teams are going to do. Try to make the most of it.

“But this is scary. People are just making guys up. If I was picking up there I’d be scared to death of these guys. This class is awful.”

Defensive lineman Jalen Carter of Georgia and edge rusher Will Anderson of Alabama are the top-rated defensive players on some team draft boards.

“They’re OK,” one scout said. “Carter’s a Pro Bowl talent but he disappears a lot, I question his stamina and he gets washed around a lot in there … Anderson is a nice little try-hard. And they’ll be two of the top three picks in the draft?”

Carter’s prospects absorbed a jolt last week when police in Athens, Ga., booked him on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and racing after an incident in January. Carter initially misled police, who later concluded that he was racing his car at speeds of over 100 mph before the car he was attempting to outdistance crashed, killing a Georgia staffer and one of his teammates. Two others were injured. Also, in September, he was ticketed for driving 89 mph in a 45 mph zone.

Would Carter, who declined to work out at the NFL combine last week, be removed from consideration by some teams?

“One or two, and those would be the ones that are picking down and know they have no chance, anyway,” an executive said. “Nobody really cares. You know how the NFL is. It’s a misdemeanor. I do not think it will affect him too much.

“That team that takes him will come out in the opening press conference and say, ‘We did all the work on him. We had our security, we had our this and that.’ Mark my words. He’s going to be just fine.”

The following is an early guess at the 26 defensive players that will fall among the first 55 players drafted. Earlier in the week, the top 29 offensive players were listed.

This projected top-55 will lead to my NFL Draft Series, which I’ve been assembling annually since 1985. That nine-part series can be found only at GoLongTD.com. It will begin about 10 days before the draft, which is scheduled April 27-29.

The interviews for the projected top-55 were conducted between Feb. 16 and March 3. My rankings were influenced to an extent by workouts at the combine, which started March 2 and finished March 5. All the remarks were made by the handful of participating scouts before the combine workouts; they were judging players off tape and live exposure, not workouts.

These rankings can and will change substantially over the next seven weeks primarily after pro days as teams obtain missing 40-yard dash times, testing results, medical information and additional data. Heights were rounded to the nearest half-inch; quarter-inch measurements were rounded down (6-2 ¼ to 6-2, 6-2 ¾ to 6-2 ½). Players were ranked in order within each position.

DEFENSE (26)

Defensive line (5)

Jalen Carter, Georgia (6-3, 314): Third-year junior, one-year starter. “What makes him unique is the position,” said one scout. “Everybody wants to find that dominant 3-technique. When he wants to, no one can block this guy, either in the run or the pass. It’s just, is he going to do it all the time? He’s a difference-maker.”

Four personnel men said Carter was a far better prospect than former teammate Devonte Wyatt, another 3-technique and the 28th pick by Green Bay a year ago. ”He’s better, but he's like that,” a second scout said. “Doesn’t play hard like Wyatt. That dude gave it his all. Carter’s motor runs hot and cold. He’s disruptive, but not overly productive. He’s a worrier for me. A lot of these Georgia dudes aren’t as good individually as they were as a whole. Travon Walker. They all were overrated because of how dominant that D was.” Was a 5-star recruit from Warren Sapp’s hometown of Apopka, Fla. “Best player in the draft but he’s lazy,” a third scout said. “They put him on the treadmill damn near every day. He doesn’t love football, doesn’t love the weight room. Horrible family background. Not a leader. He’s phenomenally talented. He’s going to run like a deer. He’s the epitome of star or bust.” Regarded by a fourth scout as a much better prospect than Walker, the top pick in 2022. “He’s one of the rare players down through the years that just totally dominated,” he said. “He doesn’t have big-time stats because he only played half the time. He can rush the passer. He’s strong. He takes on two blockers and just tosses them aside.” Arms were 33 ½ inches, hands were 10 ¼ inches.

Bryan Bresee, Clemson (6-5 ½, 298): Regarded by one rating service as the nation’s best high-school player in 2020. “If you’re going on pure talent he’s next,” one scout said. “He could play both positions inside, 5-technique in a 3-4 or be a big base defensive end. He had some injuries; his (tape) wasn’t as good this year as it was the year before. You watch him against Georgia in 2021 and he kicked the shit out of them and they had good players all over the place. This year, he played Tennessee in a bowl game and he did whatever he wanted. He’s got really good feet. He’s just been so good his whole life, his makeup isn’t very good. He’s kind of a 5-star pampered, enabled, entitled guy. Works when he wants to. His body doesn’t look really good. You could argue, off this year’s film, he was productive in just a game or two.” Missed one game in September after his sister, Ella, died of brain cancer. Missed two games later with a kidney infection. “He’s got a lot of natural ability,” said a second scout. “He needs to learn how to play with his pads down a little more. You’ve just got to get into how much that stuff affected him this year. He can play 3-technique but he’s more of a 5-technique.” Played just four games in 2021 before suffering a torn ACL. “I think he’s overrated,” a third scout said. “No way I’d take the guy in the first round. I wouldn’t even think about it until the third round. He needed to stay. He ain’t been healthy.” Arms were just 32 ½, bench press merely 22 reps. Ran a 4.86-second 40.

Mazi Smith, Michigan (6-3, 323): Fourth-year junior, two-year starter. “He’s strong, athletic, powerful,” one scout said. “He’s not a speed rusher but for how big he is he’s pretty light on his feet. He’s really explosive strong, like a power guy. He can play inside, he can play 5-technique, he can probably play base left end. He’s a really good kid. He has better character than those other two guys (Carter, Bresee) combined.” In January, he was sentenced to 12 months of probation under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act for a misdemeanor weapons charge. It stemmed from an Oct. 7 traffic stop in Ann Arbor for speeding. He actually was arrested for having in his truck a registered Glock-19 and loaded magazine without a concealed pistol license. If he completes probation without issue, his record will be cleared. A two-time All-Big Ten academic selection, he was voted Michigan’s defensive player of the year. “He’s a line of scrimmage guy,” a second scout said. “Doesn’t rush the passer but controls things. The more I watched him the more I liked him. I thought he was Michigan’s second best defensive lineman.” Bench press of 34. Arms were 33 ¾, hands were 9 ¾. “Some games he looked like he can play,” said a third scout. “Other games he just went through the motions. Second or third round.”

Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin (6-3 ½, 309): Made himself some money based on his showing in the one-on-one pass-rush drill during Senior Bowl practices. “Had a good week in Mobile,” one scout said. “He showed some pass rush for a big guy, a nose tackle.” Started 36 of 45 games over four seasons. Top-notch wrestler as a prep in Janesville, Wis. “He’s strong, flexible, plays with violence, good technician,” said a second scout. “Plays hard. If you took him in the second round you’d be really happy with him. Not quite in the top 50 but he’s a good player.” Arms were 33 7/8, hands were 9 ¾. Ran 5.08. Bench press of 25. “Like Mazi Smith but better,” a third scout said. “Line-of-scrimmage guy. Big, strong guy. Didn’t make plays.” Scored 18 in 2022 on the Wonderlic test.

Calijah Kancey, Pittsburgh (6-1, 281): In 2014, Pitt’s Aaron Donald (6-1, 286) ran 4.66 at the combine based on the average of two hand-held watches clocked by on-field officials. Besides other exceptional testing results, his arms were 32 5/8 and his hands were 9 7/8. Last week, Kancey brought back memories of Donald with an electronically-timed 40 of 4.67. “A poor poor man’s Aaron Donald,” said one scout. “There’s some buzz on him. He’s a 3-technique. Undersized.” He was the school’s first unanimous All-America pick since Donald. “He can run, he’s athletic and he plays hard,” a second scout said. “He’s just not big. He doesn’t get dominated from a size standpoint. He can get covered up and get moved out of the way in a straight power game. You have to make sure you have a fit for him. He probably starts out as an inside designated pass rusher. There’s something to him, but I don’t know how you can responsibly take him that high (top 50) unless it’s a luxury pick.” Finished with 16 ½ sacks. Short arms (30 5/8), small hands (9 1/8).

Edge rushers (6)

Will Anderson, Alabama (6-3 ½, 253): Two-time Southeastern Conference defensive player of the year. “He could end up being the first damn pick in the draft,” one scout said. “He’s safe. You kind of want more from him but, at the same time, the way their defensive line plays, they’re not really enabled to be tremendously productive pass rushers. Good athlete. Strong. Really good technician. Smart. Aidan Hutchinson is a pretty fair comparison. They’re very similar. I don’t know that Will Anderson will get much better.” Ran a 4.60 40. “He didn’t have a great year this year,” a second scout said. “(Reducing him down in 2022) hurt him because he's not that big. Last year, I thought he was the best player I saw. He’s not DeMarcus Ware, somebody like that. (Jalen) Carter’s got a lot more ability but this kid’s got impeccable intangibles. He might be one of the greatest kids ever. His family and everything, you want to adopt him for your son. He’s an All-American kid.” Arms were 33 7/8, hands were 9 7/8. “He’s made out to be ‘LT’ (Lawrence Taylor),” said a third scout. “I like the guy, but there’s nothing special with this guy at all. Not a true edge-burst athlete rushing the passer. Most (of his production) just that stunting stuff that they do and his hustle. The run stuff is hit or miss. Sometimes he can get his length on guys but he gets washed out a lot. Not great in space. Not a silky athlete with a lot of range. Not overly big, either. He’s not Hutchinson from last year. He’s nowhere close to that kind of player. He’s more like Travon Walker, but at least Travon Walker’s gigantic (6-5, 270, 4.59).”
Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech (6-6, 271): Backed up at Texas A&M in 2018-’19 before starting 28 of 32 games in Lubbock in 2020-’22. “He’s the best one,” one scout said. “When you see the guy you’re, like, ‘Holy shit, that’s how they design them in the lab.’ He looks like a million dollars. The way that he moves around is pretty unbelievable. I wouldn’t even call him a finished product. He’s not like glass-eater mean. More of a finesse athlete. I’m not sure you couldn’t put the guy at outside backer in a 3-4 or he could be a right end in a 4-3 because he’s sudden, twitchy, explosive. He’s a top-10 guy for sure.” Suffered a season-ending foot injury in mid-November that required surgery. Didn’t work out at the combine but pledged to be ready for Red Raiders pro day. “You can see he’s got lots of talent but he doesn’t make plays,” said a second scout. “You just wish he played more consistently and more physical. He has linebacker movement.” Long arms (35 3/8), small hands (9 5/8). “He’s going in the first but I don’t love him at all,” said a third scout. “He’s kind of like the kid from UTSA (Marcus Davenport) the Saints took a couple years ago (2018) that ain’t done that much.” Just 23 reps on the bench press. “Slow twitch as far as the mind,” said a fourth scout. “Doesn’t see blocks coming. Plays high, doesn’t use his hands. He does flash some power as a pass rusher but that’s all he’s got. No speed on the edge, no plan. Just another big guy you’re hoping for as a project to develop. Similar to Emmanuel Ogbah, and he isn’t any good, either.” Finished with 17 sacks.

Myles Murphy, Clemson (6-5, 268): Third-year junior. “He’s a good player — not special,” one scout said. “Got instincts, hand use. More of an overachiever type athlete. Not a gifted athlete. He plays hard. He works. He’ll be a solid starter. Not as productive as Clelin Ferrell was, but similar. Both kind of overachievers, not a whole lot of talent.” A 5-star recruit, he hopes to become an architect. “When he flashes, he’s a top-15 pick,” said a second scout. “But there are series where he disappears. Great kid. Got all the tools. He’s going in the first but he’s got that Clemson stigma.” Arms were 33 ¾, hands were a tiny 8 1/2. “He’s like Wilson in that he’s not violent,” a third scout said. “You’d like a little bit nastier. His fundamentals are inconsistent. He’s the most raw of the top three (edges). He is a smooth mover. At worst, you’re getting a really, really good left defensive end but he can probably play both sides. I don’t know how much you want to kick him inside; he really doesn’t have that kind of nastiness. His best football is probably ahead of him.” Finished with 18 ½ sacks.

Lukas Van Ness, Iowa (6-5, 272): Third-year sophomore played 26 games with nary a start. “What are we doing here?” one scout said. “If you don’t start at Iowa, there’s a problem. It’s bizarre. The reason is he isn’t any good. He’s not productive. Doesn’t know how to play. Gets knocked around. No pass rush. They played him down, in and out. He dropped (some). For the most part, he had his hand down. He’s absolutely not an edge.” Finished with 13 sacks. “They stood him up a little bit in the Ohio State game,” a second scout said. “He doesn’t know what he’s doing yet as a pass rusher.” Impressed at the combine with a 4.58 40 and fast shuttle runs. Just 17 reps on the bench. “I guess his dad pushed him to come out,” said a third scout. “He’s yoked up. Of the (top) guys, he’s the most powerful. He can hold the point. Strong hands. Got an explosive power rush. Plays his ass off. He’s the grittiest, grimiest of the (top) guys. He can be a 3-4 backer. The way rushers go, man, he’s got a shot (for round one) … It’s kind of crazy. Iowa was really good on defense. You wonder, why didn’t he play more? Because you watch the film he does have and it’s pretty good.” Arms were 34, hands were enormous (11). Lettered three times as a hockey player in Barrington, Ill.

Will McDonald, Iowa State (6-4, 239): Piled up 34 sacks, a school record and tied for the most in the Big 12 Conference. “He’s not going first round but he’s got a chance to sneak in the top 50, especially based on his Senior Bowl performance,” said one scout. “If he’s in a 4-3 he’s more of a DPR (designated pass rusher). Not a great run player but, God, he’s athletic and can rush the passer. He’s an outside rush 3-4 backer for a team like Pittsburgh or even Green Bay. He has put on some weight. He was heavier (241) at the Senior Bowl than he had been. The weight certainly didn’t affect him negatively because he put on a good performance down there as a rusher.” Didn’t run at the combine but posted a 36-inch vertical jump and an exceptional 11-0 broad jump. “Probably second round,” said another scout. “That guy has got some twitch. He’s undersized, but he’s got twitch.” Arms were a long 34 7/8, hands were 9 ½. Wonderlic score from 2022 of 8. “Popped out at the Senior Bowl,” said a third scout. “Way undersized.” Will be 24 in June.

Nolan Smith, Georgia (6-2, 238): His combine weight of 238 was just one pound more than it was in March 2022 when scouts were through Athens. He had been as heavy as 247 earlier in his career. “I don’t know what to do with him,” said one scout. “Undersized. You have to base everything on last year (2021) because he was hurt almost all this year. I thought he’d come back (to school). When he played last year he wasn’t outstanding compared to the guys they had.” Moved up appreciably with a boffo showing at the combine: a 4.39 40 and a vertical jump of 41 ½. “He’s undersized but he’s a dog on the field now,” said a second scout. “He’ll definitely go first three rounds. He’s probably a DPR right now until he gets bigger and stronger.” Suffered a torn pectoral muscle Oct. 29 against Florida and underwent season-ending surgery. “Like (LSU’s BJ) Ojulari,” said a third scout. “He fits the role of an undersized pass rusher.” Arms were 32 ½, hands were 9.

Linebackers (3)

Drew Sanders, Arkansas (6-4, 235): The first All-America linebacker for the Razorbacks since Ronnie Caveness in 1964. “He can possibly go bottom of the first,” said one scout. “He transferred from Alabama because he was playing behind Will Anderson on the edge. At Arkansas, they stacked him. He can rush the passer. Very good blitzer. He was surprisingly athletic in coverage. Can play the run. He was Anthony Barr-like.” Played off the bench for two years with the Crimson Tide before starting in Fayetteville. “He’ll be a Pro Bowl-type player,” said a second scout. “He’s an all-around backer you can keep on the field all the time. It’s rare to see a guy like this. He takes on. He works to get around blocks. He can cover for a big guy. He’s not an edge rusher but he’s a linebacker who can blitz. He’s really good in all phases.” A 5-star recruit as a tight end-linebacker. “I don’t think he can play linebacker because he’s so tight,” a third scout said. “He’s an edge guy. Best thing he has is some pass-rush ability. I gave him a fourth-round grade because of that. He couldn’t start at Alabama.” Short arms (31 1/8); hands were 9 ¾.

Jack Campbell, Iowa (6-4 ½, 249): A two-year starter, he finished four-year career with 299 tackles, 11 turnover plays and 10 passes defensed. “He was incredibly impressive,” one scout said. “You talk about a big dude that can move. He can play in all phases. He’ll hit you. He’s strong. I don’t mind the athlete (for his size). He can play inside or outside. He’s not dynamic in coverage, but he’s not bad. He’s good in blitz. He’s a good tackler. He’ll be a really good player for a long time. Toward the end of the first round, I could see it. He’s safe, he’s predictable. Exceptional makeup.” Clocked a more than respectable 4.65 at 249 in Indy with a speedy 6.74 time in the 3-cone. His vertical jump was 37 1/2. “In the 1970’s he would have been (great),” said a second scout. “He’s a good football player but he’s tight. He can’t move. But he’s very, very instinctive and is a good tackler. He’s always in the right spot, but I don’t know what you’re going to do with the guy because he’s strictly a two-down player. Fifth or sixth round.” Wonderlic of 24 from last year. “Typical Iowa linebacker: try hard and limited,” a third scout said. “Gives you his all. Ideally, a backup-special teamer. He’s similar to (Josey) Jewell but he’s bigger. That same kind of guy. Overachieving, tough, try-hard guy.”

Trenton Simpson, Clemson (6-2 ½, 235): Ran a blazing 40 of 4.43 at the combine. “My No. 1 linebacker,” one scout said. “He’s a modern-day NFL linebacker. He needs to learn how to take on (blocks) with his hands better.” Third-year junior who graduated in December. Son of a U.S. Army Ranger. “Way, way, way overrated,” a second scout said. “He can run fast, fast, fast. He’s a safety that they converted. Lacks play strength, lacks ability to get off blocks and he’s sliding down a lot of tackles. At best, I’d say fourth round, and I’d rather have him in the fifth.” Started 27 of 37 games. Two-time All-ACC academic choice. “Best thing he did was run and play coverage in space,” a third scout said. “But he’s not a take-on guy at all. He struggles against the run in the box. Mentally, he’s delayed to trigger. He’s not instinctive. He’s got size, but as an all-around player I wasn’t tremendously impressed.”

Cornerbacks (8)

Christian Gonzalez, Oregon (6-1 ½, 197): Third-year junior spent his first two seasons at Colorado. “Whole thing with this guy is speed,” said one scout. “I don’t know if the guy can run. He’s a good player. Smart.” Gonzalez proved he had speed at the combine with a 40 of 4.38. His vertical jump (41 ½) and broad jump (11-1) were off the charts. “He’s got it all,” said a second scout. “He can run. He is explosive. His ball skills are outstanding. In run support, he can trigger and tackle. He’s just very lackadaisical. He’s kind of hanging around like, ‘I’m just going to go out here and get through this season and make money.’ But when he is tuned in this guy is awesome. Sixth pick (overall) isn’t at all (unreasonable). Somebody will jump on that guy. This guy’s better than (Derek) Stingley, and he’s much better than (Jeff) Okudah.” Started 30 of 30 games, but in 18 starts for the Buffaloes he didn’t have an interception. He had four in 2022. “Physically, he’s probably the best guy (cornerback),” said a third scout. “Big and athletic, easy mover, loose hips. But he doesn’t play to his size. Doesn’t strain in the run game. Kind of soft. But for a team that says, ‘Hey, go out there and cover,’ he can do it. Doesn’t play the ball enough to be an (elite) guy. He’s more like middle to bottom third of the first round.”
Devon Witherspoon, Illinois (5-11 ½, 181): Didn’t start playing football until his junior year of high school in Pensacola, Fla. Originally committed to a junior college before the Illini signed him four days before the start of summer camp. “His size is the only thing I had against him,” said one scout. “You just look at him and he’s telling you, ‘I’m good. You’re not going to do anything.’ He reminded me of Richard Sherman. He’s got that same attitude, confidence. He’s really smart (Wonderlic of 20 in 2022). Looks like Deion (Sanders) when he lines up to press people. He’s aggressive. He’s second half of the first round.” Led the Illini in special-teams tackles as a freshman while making three starts. Started 29 games from 2020-’22. “We see him more as a nickel than an outside guy,” a second scout said. “This guy will knock your ass out. With him on your team you might be producing some concussions every game. Really twitchy. Not a pick guy necessarily, but he’s physical in 50-50 situations. He’s not as gifted as Gonzalez but he’s a better football player. Antoine Winfield (Sr.) is a good comparison.” Nursing a hamstring injury so didn’t run or test in Indy. “Hell of a football player,” a third scout said. “All he did was press. That’s all they did. He’s physical. I’ll be anxious to see what he runs.”

Joey Porter, Penn State: (6-2 ½, 193): His father, Joey Sr., played 13 seasons as a linebacker in the NFL before coaching the Steelers’ outside linebackers from 2015-’18. “He’s really talented,” one scout said. “He’s tall, long and fast. You can’t coach any of those things. He’s a good kid but he doesn’t really have a great work ethic or passion for the game. He grew up the son of an NFL player and never wanted for anything. Really inconsistent as a player. Looks like he's never been in a weight room in his life. That said, he’s pretty tough for the way he looks. He’s not afraid to put his face in the fan. You could really hit on him and you could really bust on him. If he decides to maximize his potential, he could be a really good player.” Clocked 4.46 and went 35 in the vertical jump and 10-9 in the broad jump. Started 31 of 35 games. Broke up 20 passes but had just one interception and never forced a fumble. “He’s got to be press only,” a second scout said. “When he’s off he can’t change direction. He’s stiff. Struggles to mirror. Not productive. For a big guy, in run support he’s not a killer.” Long arms (34), big hands (10).

Deonte Banks, Maryland (6-0, 197): Senior started eight games as a true freshman and, when healthy, maintained the job for four seasons. “That Ohio State game (Nov. 19), man, he was like, ‘This is my game,’” one scout said. “He went against (Marvin) Harrison Jr. and those guys and he was good. He talked shit to those guys. The whole game. He can press and run. In run support he’s strong. He can hold up against big wideouts. He just gets a little grabby downfield but, when he’s locked-in, he’s a top-10 talent. He’s a true big corner with a lot of talent.” Blew out the combine with a 40 of 4.35, a vertical jump of 42 and a broad jump of 11-4. “Had no problem against Ohio State and Michigan,” said a second scout. “He’s better than the safety (Nick Cross) that came out of there last year. This guy is better than Darnell Savage.” His career hit a roadblock in 2021 when he was lost for the season with a shoulder injury after two games. “His thing is, he’s just raw,” said a third scout. “Because he hasn’t played a ton. It would not shock me at all if he went second round. He can really run. You like him in run defense. He’ll get up and mix it up, and he’s got decent strength. You get that guy in the third round, you’re going cartwheels over it.” A 3-star prospect from Baltimore. Two career interceptions.

Kelee Ringo, Georgia (6-1 ½, 207): A 5-star recruit in 2019 ranked No. 1 at the position. “He cannot change directions at all,” said one scout. “You press him and just let him run. That’s what he can do. He’s strong and can really run. But when he’s off you see the limitations where he’s stiff. Even in zone he’s good if he can just run straight on things.” Third-year sophomore with 27 starts in 30 games. “He’ll go in the first but not for me,” said a second scout. “More of a third-round guy to me. He’s can run in a straight line but when people make double moves he can’t mirror a sudden or abrupt change. He’s a straight-line speed guy with good hands. Above average tackler.” At the combine, he ran 4.36 but didn’t distinguish himself in the vertical jump (33 ½) or broad jump (10-2). “Good football player but he’s tight,” said a third scout. “He has to gather to change directions. I thought safety would be his best position. He’s one speed. He has his hands all over people, too. He doesn’t have top speed. He’s probably 4.5 to 4.6.” Had a great high-school track career with bests of 10.43 in the 100 meters and 21.18 in the 200.

Cam Smith, South Carolina (6-1, 180): Fourth-year junior. Started 19 of 33 games and had six interceptions. “He is talented but very inconsistent,” one scout said. “Really good athlete, and he can run. He’s played off-man really well, which is hard to find. Usually the man defenders are all press-man guys. Played mostly nickel. He’s really undisciplined. His instincts are questionable. He’s not sturdily built, and that shows up. He’ll try to get involved but he isn’t the strongest guy. Plus, his makeup is a bit questionable. There’s some bust potential in him.” Worked out well at the combine with a 40 of 4.43, a vertical jump of 38 and a broad jump of 11-2. “Very athletic,” said a second scout. “Wish he was a little more physical at times.” Arms were 32 7/8.

Emmanuel Forbes, Mississippi State (6-0 ½, 166): Set an FBS record with six interceptions returned for touchdowns (three in 2020, three in ’22). Had 14 picks in 36 games (34 starts) and 20 passes defensed. “God, he looks like a stick figure,” said one scout. “The size is an issue. He gets pushed around. But the interceptions are real. They’re like good interceptions. They’re not a gift. And, he knows what to do with it afterward. It’s if you can deal with how slightly built this guy is. He is going to cover you and play the ball.” One of many corners with excellent combine workout numbers: a 40 of 4.35, a vertical jump of 37 ½ and a broad jump of 10-11. “Very, very similar to Witherspoon,” said another scout. “He’s quick, sudden, loose athlete, quick twitch, instinctive. He can mirror guys as well. He’s got a second gear. He don’t want nothing to do with (run support). Small little cover guy. If you can live with the lack of size and lack of run support … “ From Grenada, Miss. Has 10 siblings.

DJ Turner, Michigan (5-11, 178): A 3-star recruit from Suwanee, Ga. “Good football player,” said one scout. “At one point in time I had him in the first round. He didn’t play as well this year as he had in the past. Height is the only negative. He’s good, but I got him in the second round when most years he’d be a first. Most years, you look for corners. Now they’re here. It’s a totally amazing year. He was their (Michigan’s) best prospect. He’s fast.” Turner demonstrated how fast he was by running a 4.26, the fastest electronically-clocked 40 in Indy. A fourth-year junior who started 22 of 36 games.

Safeties (4)

Brian Branch, Alabama (5-11 ½, 190): Made three starts as a true freshman in 2020 before moving into the lineup in ’21. “He played that ‘star’ position in Nick’s (Saban) defense, which is very tough to play,” one scout said. “I really liked him. Some think he’s just a nickel but he’ll be a really good free safety. He’s the only one that may have a chance to go in the first.” Finished with 172 tackles, four sacks, three interceptions and 23 passes defensed. “Not an exceptional athlete but a good athlete,” said a second scout. “He is really tough. He will knock your dick in the dirt. He can do the nickel stuff and can play safety if you needed him to. He’s got cover skills. He's a better football player than Gonzalez. More of a gritty guy. He’s just not as talented.” He didn’t help his cause at the combine by running 4.58. “He’s Darnell Savage,” a third scout said. “Utility guy. Not big enough or tough enough for safety and not a cover corner. Just a tweener.”
Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M (6-2, 198): Average performance in Indy: 40 of 4.52, vertical jump of 31 and broad jump of 9-10. “He has size but I don’t know if he has speed,” said one scout. “I had him in the second or third rounds and then I came down on him.” Third-year junior with 22 starts in 28 games. One career interception, just seven passes defensed. Forced four fumbles. “I don’t know if he goes first round but he’s definitely top 50,” said a second scout. “Big, pretty-looking guy. He’s got good feet. He’ll hit you. More smooth than sudden in his movement. His tackle wrap can be a little inconsistent. He’s not really a play-the-ball guy.” Is Johnson capable of directing a secondary? “You’ll have another guy,” the scout replied. “He’s not dumb but he’s not that guy. He’s more get after you and hit you and let’s play football.”

Sydney Brown, Illinois (5-10, 211): Started a ton of games from 2018-’22. “He’s fun to watch on tape,” one scout said. “Made a move at the Senior Bowl. Yeah, he is (a tough guy).” Finished with 320 tackles, two sacks, 10 interceptions (two touchdown returns), 16 passes defensed and four forced fumbles. “He’s not real big but he plays his ass off, he can run and he’ll hit you,” said a second scout. “His twin brother (Chase, a running back) are Canadian and went through some really tough times. He had the opportunity to go live with his host family in Florida. Just a great kid. Really, really polished interviews. Well-spoken. Had really good perspective. He’s a starting strong safety.” In the last two springs, NFL scouts estimated his speed at 4.60. At the combine, he ran 4.47 with a 40 ½ vertical jump, a 10-10 broad jump and 23 reps on the bench press. Those numbers, when combined with his intangibles, likely catapulted Brown into the second or third round. “Best working underneath,” a second scout said. “Sees the field well and is quick to trigger. He struggles to mirror and react in space against dynamic athletes.”

JL Skinner, Boise State (6-4, 209): Fourth-year junior, three-year starter. “Has rare size and exceptional speed for the position,” said one scout. “Plays with depth as a post player. Solid range off the hash and able to make a play on the ball. Exhibits natural hands. Able to play man (coverage). For a guy his size he has fluid hips to open and redirect in space. Vocal leader. Does extra. Coachable. Solid tackler leads with his shoulder and has pop on contact.” Didn’t run the 40 at the combine. His estimated time by scouts was 4.45. “Kind of a wild card because he’s got good film and he’s got bad film,” said a second scout. “He’s uniquely big. Good athlete, he can run and he’ll hit the kill shot. Not a consistent tackler in space. His tackling pursuit angles aren’t great. He’s supposed to blow it out working out. He’s gone by the third round for sure because of height-weight-speed.” His Wonderlic score from 2022 was 17.

Back