Draft Thought: Pack Draft Thoughts early rounds

Terranimal

Reaction score
Had two different draft strategies depending on whether AR was signed or traded. Well he's signed.

We are going to lose some players no doubt. Even if we didn't, still had this line of thought for early round draft Thoughts.

Round One: This is one of the best and deepest Defensive Player Drafts in recent memory. And lucky for Packers imo it fits what might be most pressing need area.

After season was done went back over the season on both sides of the ball and production and area of need of improvement when going through the Analytics.

The weakness on the Defense was against the run and so in round one am looking to improve that area in the front 7.

Here is my picking order depending who is still on the board at our pick w/o a trade up.

LB Nakbe Dean Georgia the total package and would be great alongside Campbell if he's still here and even more important if Campbell gone. Only knock is a bit shorter then ideal, but a playmaker is a playmaker. But expect him to be long gone before our pick.

DL Trevon Walker Georgia notice a trend here? Not only good on field but his numbers at Combine were outstanding backing up on field for a player his size. Defense wins Championships and in the trenches. Clark can't be the only impact player on DL playing with as Madden would call Ham and Eggers. Expect him to be long gone and maybe first Georgia player off the board.

Jordan Davis Georgia This is the player that really want and might be in range. A freak at 340 lbs. Put up freak numbers at Combine and stock on the rise. We haven't had big guy in a long while since Raji and Gilbert Brown and Davis is more Athletic. Put him in the middle plugging up the gaps and then can move Clark around. Knock is that he is only a 2 down run stopper. However through interviews he has also been working on his pass rushing. He definitely has the Athletic skills to be an impact player. I look back at Defenses that were good against the run and they all had a big guy like him. Wolford yrs ago w Pats. Pea w Buck etc.

Jermaine Johnson II FSU was a standout at Senior Bowl week. Also did well at Combine to finish out his year. They are listing him as Edge Rusher and imo thinking he fits an Elephant role. Another that has stuck on rise and most likely off board before us but as every draft goes, the wild cards are if and where QBs get drafted and even though this is a weak QB class vs last two years, there are so many teams in desperate need of a QB that could see a run on maybe 3-4 in round one or again maybe only one in late round....we'll see.

Devonte Wyatt Georgia even before the Combine has been mocked to Pack. The real point here as seen by trend have in Rd 1 that see the D-Line as the weak link outside of Clark and where can improve against the run.

Boye Mafe Minn Edge rusher and might be even bigger need then DL if lose both Smiths. Most expect the top names at Edge off board before our pick. Another player have seen mocked to Pack. Had a good combine and was in top 5 in most workouts. However much like Gary was, is a bit raw yet.

Gave a lot of thought to WRs, DBs and OTs here.

WRs the top 5 guys expected to be off board and maybe some other play off team rolls the dice on Jameson Williams who might not be ready to play until mid season so imo need a player ready to play with first round pick. And it's a deep draft for WRs

OL thought about it but we should have both Baht and Jenkins back and drafted Meyers last year and has some other players that played decent with Jenkins and Baht out. So unless one of the top OTs fall here and too good to pass on don't see us drafting one. It's also another deep area.

Secondary thought about. But we have spent too picks on Alexander, Stokes, and Savage and free agent Amos. Though Savage hasn't achieved the level thought he would yet, he still is a good player and not ready to give up on. So seeing later in draft maybe getting a Safety or Corner for depth/Special Teams.

Note have been working on mocks and hopefully have one out soon

This is a draft I can't predict how the Packers go. So many needs and I won't be shocked if GB moves down to get a extra pick or two if given the chance to move.

This is a draft I can't predict how the Packers go. So many needs and I won't be shocked if GB moves down to get a extra pick or two if given the chance to move.
I like the idea of trading out of 1st round, because it’s a deep draft at Edge and OL.

Danno, wait for other rds installments for TEs ;)

And no unless too good of a deal to pass up, am against trading down. We need some kind of impact player regardless of position. Won't get Elite by draftnick so called standards but there is always a good player to be had regardless of what position is on board at time of pick.

And no unless too good of a deal to pass up, am against trading down. We need some kind of impact player regardless of position. Won't get Elite by draftnick so called standards but there is always a good player to be had regardless of what position is on board at time of pick.
Depends how your board is setup. If you have 5 guys you value as equal and are moving down 5 spots and offer is good enough you can move down

From 20-45 it’s not a big difference talent wise, if you can trade down in this draft it’s wise unless your guy is there. Deep draft, not much impact past 10-15

From 20-45 it’s not a big difference talent wise, if you can trade down in this draft it’s wise unless your guy is there. Deep draft, not much impact past 10-15
Agree but because of that unless a team really loves a player might be hard to move down because of talent being equal.

I agree w this and is my thinking too. But on other hand just have a feeling that there will be too good a player or one they have stared in their board there. Who knows until draft finally happens? Unexpected trades and who and where teams panic and take QBs will no doubt affect draft boards. (IK over stating the obvious)

It'll be interesting to see how the Packers use this new draft capital. Combining pick #22 and #28 in a trade up could get you into that #8-10 range. Is there anyone they feel strongly enough about to make that move?

I like the OTs that might be available - Ekwonu and Cross - if one falls, but I don't know if it's worth going up there for one of them when it seems you can get solid OTs later.

Ahmad Gardner could be there, but is that worth it when you already have Stokes and Alexander. Seems like you could solidify the CB rotation with a later pick and be just fine. There is a line of thinking out there though that with all these solid WRs in draft after draft that you really need as many elite CBs as possible - so maybe, but I suspect not.

The other guy who might be in that range is Travon Walker. He checks all the boxes the Packers look for at the Edge spot, length, speed, athleticism and size. Maybe if he's there they're tempted.

Maybe Lloyd or Dean is tempting, even with Campbell signed. Thing is, they don't value the position enough and I highly suspect one or both might be gotten later. Maybe they sit tight until #22 or maybe a smaller trade-up into the mid-teens to grab one. I don't see it but hey, who knows.

I really don't see anyone in that area around pick #10 that I really value enough to package those two picks. I'm tempted to sit tight and see what happens. Most tempting is to use #92 for a small move up from #22 or #28 to snag a falling guy and get rid of that 3rd Rd pick that seems like a wasted pick every year by Gute.

Back