End of Season Notes

Terranimal

Reaction score
Just some quick thoughts here now that the season is done.

1.) More uniform officiating. Overall wasn't too bad but there some Ref groups that called penalties more then others. Consistency is what am after here and playing both teams fairly.

2.) What problems happening in early season will show up in post season if not fixed.

This happened w Pack w special teams, KC with Mahomes, and the Super Bowl w Cincy O Line. Of course Cincy had 2 starters on OL w injury but even so with them had problems all season long.

3.) Old school rules still applies.

You can have the most dangerous Offense in the world, but Defense still wins Championships.

4.) Some will disagree w this, but this is my opinion. You still need an Elite QB to get to SB and get a chance to win. Some might not think Matt Stafford is one, but he is. Since entering league he has more 4th quarter comebacks then any other QB. And even though his first full season, it's easy to see Burrow us special and one also.

Will be interesting over next 10 years in AFC with Burrow, Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Jones, and Lawrence if he gets a team around him battling it out.

5.) The Pack loss to 9ers really stings. The Pack beat both Rams and Cincy in regular season. Brings back memories of losing to Seahawks and the Hawks losing to Pats in SB, when we beat Pats that year in regular season.

That's my thoughts/notes. Any others?

The Pack loss to 9ers really stings. The Pack beat both Rams and Cincy in regular season. Brings back memories of losing to Seahawks and the Hawks losing to Pats in SB, when we beat Pats that year in regular season.
This means nothing... in over 39 years in the game, I've seen teams beat A or B in the regular season and lose the rematch in the playoffs at all levels more times than I can count. One of the biggest mistakes by coaches especially younger ones is overemphasizing winning those early-season games etc. It's a marathon not a sprint.

I would say that no you don't need an elite QB, you need a QB who elevates himself and those around him in the post-season. GB does not have that QB right now. Elite or not.

Refs have always been wildly inconsistent.. but to solve the issue you need to shrink the rulebook..

GB is built to rule the regular season not the playoffs.

Injuries hurt. But LA brought a guy out of retirement to plug a hole. It's all about how you fill the holes.

I would say that no you don't need an elite QB, you need a QB who elevates himself and those around him in the post-season. GB does not have that QB right now. Elite or not.

Refs have always been wildly inconsistent.. but to solve the issue you need to shrink the rulebook..

GB is built to rule the regular season not the playoffs.

Injuries hurt. But LA brought a guy out of retirement to plug a hole. It's all about how you fill the holes.
So what happened with Stafford? Was he the one who elevated LA? No. He won there because Goff could not. Talent matters Sure LA brought in Weddle but he was not the missing link.

You maybe don’t need an elite QB to win but if you don’t you need a solid running game (LA did not ) and / or a dominant defense, LA had a great DL but rest was not dominant.

Just look at the playoffs, Allen & Mahomes are elite top 5 QB’s , Burrow is top 10. I guess it’s how you define elite but I don’t think you can win with an average QB who can elevate guys around him. That maybe works on college but not the NFL

So what happened with Stafford? Was he the one who elevated LA? No. He won there because Goff could not. Talent matters Sure LA brought in Weddle but he was not the missing link.

You maybe don’t need an elite QB to win but if you don’t you need a solid running game (LA did not ) and / or a dominant defense, LA had a great DL but rest was not dominant.

Just look at the playoffs, Allen & Mahomes are elite top 5 QB’s , Burrow is top 10. I guess it’s how you define elite but I don’t think you can win with an average QB who can elevate guys around him. That maybe works on college but not the NFL
100% disagree and have proven that fact over the last dozen years countless times, you don't need an elite QB you need a QB that works your system whatever that may be. Now one factor everyone here sidesteps is that almost always the top two teams are those that got hot late in the year rather than one that went 18 games straight being perfect..... GB under ML has been flawed in that like a lot of young HC he has yet to learn it's a marathon not a sprint.

The point is you are over-emphasizing QB play... too many other factors at work.

I think you can win without an elite QB, BUT ….. you better have a decent QB, and one that doesn’t turn the ball over, along with a good OL/running game to offset opposing defenses that game plan to keep an elite QB’s from beating them through the air.

Secondly you also need to have a defense that limits opponents ability to score. Maybe it’s a dominant secondary, or dominant DL, or some combination. They may give up yards, but they make an opponent “work” for scoring chances and don’t give up a lot of points.

Lastly you need consistent Special Teams that don’t allow a game to turn against you on a single play (kick or punt return), and also can make a play with a key punt or field goal when you need it most.

100% disagree and have proven that fact over the last dozen years countless times, you don't need an elite QB you need a QB that works your system whatever that may be. Now one factor everyone here sidesteps is that almost always the top two teams are those that got hot late in the year rather than one that went 18 games straight being perfect..... GB under ML has been flawed in that like a lot of young HC he has yet to learn it's a marathon not a sprint.

The point is you are over-emphasizing QB play... too many other factors at work.
You don't have elite QB you will need elite D though.

And in the last 10-15 years look who has won a Lombardi without an elite QB. Philadelphia, Baltimore maybe add Eli in there ( debatable) and that’s it. SF with Kap made it but did not win. 2019 Rams with Goff made it but no Lombardi.

Sure a Brad Johnson can win it but he needed an elite defense, same with Dilfer. Sure it’s a marathon but over 18 games I’ll take a team who either has an elite defense to cover up warts or a QB who can pull games out of his ass & make plays

And in the last 10-15 years look who has won a Lombardi without an elite QB. Philadelphia, Baltimore maybe add Eli in there ( debatable) and that’s it. SF with Kap made it but did not win. 2019 Rams with Goff made it but no Lombardi.

Sure a Brad Johnson can win it but he needed an elite defense, same with Dilfer. Sure it’s a marathon but over 18 games I’ll take a team who either has an elite defense to cover up warts or a QB who can pull games out of his ass & make plays
Philly? No they won it with a QB that was having a hot streak otherwise he's been garbage whenver he's been named the full time starter when he has not come off the bench as the backup.

Philly? No they won it with a QB that was having a hot streak otherwise he's been garbage whenver he's been named the full time starter when he has not come off the bench as the backup.
My point was who won without an elite QB. I was not calling Foles elite

Back