First round OT

It depends on the talent pool in those ranges.
If the talent at #39 is about the same quality as at #29 it could be a savvy move because you can pick up an extra pick in the process.
The more picks you have in the top 4 rounds, the better your chances of finding players who can contribute early in their career
I don't know if I would slide down 10 spots but if you go down 5 spots it's possible you would have 5 guys on your board who are ranked very close and thus could afford to move down those spots knowing you would still have at least one of them on your board still.

It was a hypothetical.
I don’t even know off the top of my head who’s picking at #39 or even if they want to deal with GB

With moving down the main issue is do you value the 5th year over the draft pick you would get to slide down to the 2nd round as the team moving up is also moving up to be able to get that extra year of control over a player.

And you have to have a trade partner. In recent drafts teams traded back up into the end of round one for a QB. This year it's very possible that the top 5 are all of the board by our pick.

Guess it's still stuck in my head when TT would trade down to get extra picks and get quantity over quality and miss out on a player that could have helped the team.

That in addition to it seemed he would get less for trading down compared to other teams from similar spot.

It all depends who is on our board and the value/need. Wouldn't want to trade out of first and go down beyond the first tier of round 2

And you have to have a trade partner. In recent drafts teams traded back up into the end of round one for a QB. This year it's very possible that the top 5 are all of the board by our pick.

Guess it's still stuck in my head when TT would trade down to get extra picks and get quantity over quality and miss out on a player that could have helped the team.

That in addition to it seemed he would get less for trading down compared to other teams from similar spot.

It all depends who is on our board and the value/need. Wouldn't want to trade out of first and go down beyond the first tier of round 2
With cap issues this year GB might be filling out roster with cheap draft picks and UDFA's.

It depends on the talent pool in those ranges.
If the talent at #39 is about the same quality as at #29 it could be a savvy move because you can pick up an extra pick in the process.
The more picks you have in the top 4 rounds, the better your chances of finding players who can contribute early in their career
I completely disagree with this theory anymore. The draft hasn't been as talent-rich in at least 5 years. You can't draft and or approach it like you did when Wolf was here or in early TT years. You MUST evaluate and hit in rounds 1-3 or you're plain screwed, that's why we are here talking about all this... we have sucked in those rounds 3-4 yrs running.

The trade partner is an important point. I think you will see teams looking to load up picks in 2022 due to more certainty for a true NCAA season and evaluation.

Back