Former Badgers women's hockey star Meghan Duggan announces playing retirement

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Duggan won three NCAA titles with the Badgers and played in three Olympics with the U.S., captaining the 2018 gold medal-winning team.

Continue reading...

One helluva good hockey player. I enjoyed watching her play on both the Badgers and with the US team. A real competitor, who wasn't afraid to throw checks.

Can't believe none of you guys want to know how the date went.

Gosh you're old. :)

Can't believe none of you guys want to know how the date went.

Gosh you're old. :)

I figure the two of you talked hockey, and people showed up at your table and talked hockey. Then, you walked her home and got the puck out of there. hof(

I'd met her in a class that we had together, and actually got to know her at an event a few weeks prior to her leaving for the 2010 Games, and since we were the only college-aged people there, we hung out and spent the next four-five hours becoming friends. We texted some while she was in Vancouver.

I told my buddy who I was hanging out with, he didn't believe me so we sent him a picture. He took the opportunity to ask if she'd help set him up with one of her UW teammates who he knew and had a crush on, and she said sure, so long as she and I could go along. My friend agreed, and we set the date for later that Spring.

She and I drove from Madison to Appleton where we were supposed to meet one of her friends and one of mine for a double date: dancing, drinks, etc. We did actually discuss the hardest shot we'd ever blocked, where it hit, and whose teammates gave the biggest cheers for it (hers) and whose treated you like a wuss for it (mine).

Her friend was at the first bar waiting for us, but my friend never showed! Turns out he didn't believe that we had done it, and that I was yanking his chain. That doofus stayed home while I had the duty, nay, the honor to show those ladies a good time. I called him a few times, and sent him a few more photos, and had his erstwhile date leave him a message.

The other lady was still in training and had taken the year off from NCAA competition, so she couldn't stay out too late. But Meghan and I hit one more spot before heading back to Madison, nearly stopped at my friend's house in Oshkosh to give him a rough time but didn't. Dropper her off back at her place.

And that's all I have to say about that evening.

Back