Gutey...Rd 1

Terranimal

Reaction score
So Gutey did want to and tried to trade up. Two things prevented trading up. One was the run went earlier then they hoped and the price was too high to pull off the trade.

Btw Rodgers is all good with what happened. As Baht and he said, Defense wins Championships.

Gutey on picks..."We got better and faster on Defense"

We were bad against the run last year and down on sacks, plus injuries took their toll near season's end. Hopefully we just got better in both Categories and with the free agents we signed.

This is the first draft that am happy with in awhile and sort of history repeating when Thompson took Raji and Matthews.

As stated elsewhere the caveat is that both players played in a platoon system... they can't go 55 plus snaps. If a team wears on GB then they will NOT be effective. 100% has to add a few pieces in the next two days for day 1 to be a success.

I had one person say on look at the Lions they moved up to 12 from 32. But Lions gave up 32 34 and 66 to get that high.

GB would have had to give up 28 and likely both their 2nd round picks that's way to much for 1 player.

As stated elsewhere the caveat is that both players played in a platoon system... they can't go 55 plus snaps. If a team wears on GB then they will NOT be effective. 100% has to add a few pieces in the next two days for day 1 to be a success.
Luckily this draft is very deep and I think they do add more to both positions. I really like building the Defense up for now and post AR era. Plus after all the Offensive firepower added to AFC will need that if we reach the SB.

Teams like Pitt, NE, 9ers etc have proven what a great Defense can do.

Luckily this draft is very deep and I think they do add more to both positions. I really like building the Defense up for now and post AR era. Plus after all the Offensive firepower added to AFC will need that if we reach the SB.

Teams like Pitt, NE, 9ers etc have proven what a great Defense can do.
I get that but NE and Pitt were also very reliant on their offense, it was balanced. Probably a better analogy is Baltimore

I've said it for years now that the Packers have needed to score at least 30 points every game to have a decent shot of winning. These two picks may help some in 2022, but beyond that be much more important to the defense. It's going to take a year of hard work for them to be productive as full time starters. You build stamina, not just suddenly have it.

Are they good picks? I think they are. Because of the fact they were platooned means they don't have gaudy stats, and way too often NFL drafters are swayed by the bling rather than the real thing.

Can GB use a rotation like that?

Most rookies hit a wall after about 10 games. Some make it to as much as 12, but it's reality. They run out of steam, and need an off season to recharge. That could be even more pronounced with guys who played in a platoon system, if used more often.

It will take an entire season, and an off season, to get these guys the stamina they need to compete large numbers of plays in each game. You just have to be patient with it. In the meantime, they can be very valuable on a lot of plays where you need them to play at high intensity. That's what you go after.

Back